• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tap Water - How can you drink your disgusting water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemWalls

I was just in Paris and several sites in Italy and the tap water has been great everywhere. No flavors, super clean, perfect.

So much so I don't understand why restaurants are so pushy with bottled water, I'm guessing just to make more money?

Absolutely. Especially when they charge like 3€ for a 1/2 lt bottle.

ZOONAMI

Tap water from Milwaukee,WI is probably the best in the US. Its so good that Coca-cola likes to use it for tons of the water bottle products.

I went to Minneapolis and had some of their tap water. I got extremely sick for the rest of my trip there. You would think with all the lakes that Minnesota likes to boast about that their water would be on point. Wrong!

Oh, and drinking tap water from southern U.S states is a gamble no one should ever make. Unless you are a fan of diarrhea, if that's the case, then drink away.

The tap water in minneapolis is fine. Sure you didnt get food poisoning? That or someone may have had bad plumbing. Dont just blanket statement that MNs water is bad because you had one bad experience, in one city, that may have had contributing circumstances.

What is it with you WI folks always having to say something about how WI something is the best ever? Do you have any objective evdience that Milwaukee has the best tap water in the US? Lol.

I know that you guys release untreated human raw sewage into lake michigan, which is disgusting. I know people from Milwaukee who wont swim in lake michigan because you are dumping raw shit into the lake. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee_Metropolitan_Sewerage_District

You get your water supply from lake michigan so you are sort of drinking your own shit. Granted you are doing a lot of filtration/purification but the proximity of raw sewage being dumped into your water supply is pretty gross imo.

You also had the largest waterborne disease outbreak in the history of the united states. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Milwaukee_Cryptosporidiosis_outbreak

El-Suave

In Germany tap water constantly reviews better than bottled water. Results may vary from region to region but in general it's supposed to be pretty great. They say that the most important factor is that your plumbing is in order and clean.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Canadian tap water is awesome.

I prefer the taste of bottled spring water though. I hate bottled tap water like Dasani or Aquafina.

I was in Spain last week (near Barcelona). The water smelled strange, and if you happened to get it in your mouth, you felt like someone was trying to poison you.

The north of Spain has great tap water, Basque country, Cantabria, Galicia, but yes Catalunya tap water is garbage.

Fuchsdh

No complaints about the tap water anywhere I go. The water in NYC is worse-tasting than my hometown, but I'm not concerned about it sickening me and so much of taste is just what you're used to anyhow.

Never noticed issues with the water in Germany, Ireland, or France last time I visited.

Walpurgis

Banned
Winnipeg water has a chlorine/mineral taste to it that my family never really got used to. It's especially disgusting when the water is warm. Vancouver, on the other hand, had water as it was meant to be: pure and perfect. We had to buy a water dispenser to get that kind of water in Winnipeg.

cvxfreak

I went to Rome last month and was amazed at the quality of the tap water. Public fountains are ubiquitous and I was able to reuse my water bottle several times.

Other places I've visited with notable tap water are Paris, Stockholm and of course Tokyo.

Miles X

Use to hard water (live southern england near some chalk hills) to the point where soft water tastes disgusting to me.

It's a tiny bit off putting when I pour a glass and it takes 30 seconds for it to turn clear though.

Famassu

I'd rather drink tap water in most places (there are exceptions) even if it doesn't taste great vs. supporting the absolutely horrible companies that sell you unhealthier bottled water that has often been required by questionable, unethical and/or unecological means.

Busty

Banned
I agree with the OP. Having sampled 'local' water whenever travelling it's just never as palatable as the tap water here in Glasgow.

It isn't 'hard' like water in England. I know plenty of friends who cannot drink the water in London (for example) straight from the tap.

Scottish water is excellent.

I drink it daily.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Tap water is excellent in Norway. I've lived for periods in Paris and Rome though, and yeah, I always bought bottled water there

Growing up in the middle of nowhere, I got to taste the amazing thing known as well water. Straight from the ground, it's fucking world's apart from city water. And I live in the US for reference, our city water tends to be awful on a good day.

Zona

I live on Long Island, New York. Our tap water is excellent, tastes great right from the sink. When I lived upstate for collage I used a filter, not because the water was unsafe but because it tasted of sulfur and old pipes.

Growing up in the middle of nowhere, I got to taste the amazing thing known as well water. Straight from the ground, it's fucking world's apart from city water. And I live in the US for reference, our city water tends to be awful on a good day.

All of Long Island gets it's water from wells, we use the Magothy aquifer I think. NYC get's all its water piped in from the state parks upstate.

RangersFan

NY tap here is great, take it for granted though. When I travel It becomes quite apparent how much better NY tap is than other places.

Chococat

I find bottle water taste weird. My city has perfectly fine tap water. I fill up my water bottle and try to not contribute the the ever growing plastic bottle water waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom