• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taxes on airline tickets expire. Hooray!!!!... Not so fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Many fliers are outraged, but few are surprised, that most airlines have chosen to raise fares rather than cut ticket costs to reflect a suspension of airline ticket taxes.

Several aviation taxes expired after midnight Friday when Congress failed to reauthorize the Federal Aviation Administration, which collects the revenue. The suspended taxes could save passengers 10% to 15% on their ticket prices, but most U.S. carriers have boosted fares to the levels ticket prices would have been with the taxes still in place, allowing the airlines to take in roughly an extra $25 million a day, says Rick Seaney of FareCompare.com.

As of Tuesday, only Spirit and Alaska seemed to be bucking the trend, Seaney says.
Frequent fliers have noticed.

"While I respect any business' right to set prices as they see fit, this is another example of the airline 'gotcha game,'" says Steven Gordon, a sales manager who lives in Virginia Beach. "It is getting to the point that I feel better about buying a used car than an airline ticket."

Bob Lorentzen, a crisis management consultant, says, "Hiking fares to grab what was tax money to the government is just plain nuts."
On Friday, American "adjusted its ticket prices so the bottom-line price of a ticket remains the same as it was before, prior to the expiration of federal excise taxes," says spokesman Tim Smith.

Virgin America, on the other hand, says that when the federal taxes lapsed, it initially passed "on the equivalent discount, down to the decimal, across the board … and encouraged guests to grab the exact discount through the weekend," says spokeswoman Abby Lunardini. By Monday, some ticket prices increased "given the dynamic nature of fares," she says, but some discounted prices were still available as of Tuesday.
Spirit, meanwhile, says its round-trip ticket prices are up to $50 lower because of the tax cuts it has passed on to fliers. And the discounted fares led to a 22% rise in sales in the first three days compared with that period last week.

Aviation consultant Michael Boyd says he'd rather see airlines get the money than the federal government.
"Consumers aren't paying any more if the carrier ups the fare to capture the tax revenue," he says, "so if a consumer isn't willing to criticize the feds for the tax charges, then he really has no call to criticize the airline."

But others say the fare increases are a public relations blunder by an industry already accused by many of nickel-and-diming travelers who are charged for everything from checked luggage to pillows. The industry has been grappling with surges in fuel costs just as it climbs back from a deep travel slump that eroded profits during the economic downturn.

"It seems greedy and tone deaf," says George Hobica, founder of Airfarewatchdog.com.
Seaney and others say passengers are entitled to some money back if they bought tickets before July 23, when the taxes were still included in the price, but traveled after the taxes were suspended.

"In theory you should be able to get a refund," he says, but "nobody knows how to collect it yet."
A spokeswoman for the Treasury Department confirmed that such fliers are entitled to a refund. The IRS website says details are soon to come

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/...irlines-pocket-suspended-FAA-taxes/49671494/1

tl;dr -> Taxes expired. Rather than removing the tax fees, the airlines raised prices to pocket the money they would have been giving to the government.

I bought tickets prior to July 23rd. I want to know how to get my discounts. I'm betting they won't be giving them out.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
misterchef said:
I have flights upcoming on Continental, United, and American. I read a posting on the IRS website to contact the airlines about getting the refund, but they all basically told me that they weren't going to do anything.

You will have to wait until the IRS sets up their program and then get refunds from them (similarly to what happened with Southwest in 1997).

IRS Link: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=242812,00.html?portlet=6
Yeah I have tickets for next Thursday and they were purchased before the 23rd so I would love to get some money back.

ronito

Yet more evidence why trickle down economics work.

They think less taxes on companies = yay for everyone.

When really it's

less taxes on companies = less taxes on companies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
i for one am shocked the greedy bastards said, oh people are already willing pay X price? Well shit the taxes expired why can't we have that money?

fuck off, fuckers.

Cyan

Banned
Nice. And then when the taxes go back into effect, they can keep prices high and act like it's all because of new taxes. Win-win!

Aye on this, this happens whenever a tax expires or is reduced, and then within a few weeks, somebody else undercuts the competition by shaving their profit margin down. If Airline taxes were to never come back (which obviously is a fantasy, they'll be back as soon as the debt issue is resolved, or bandaided), then within a relatively short period of time, the budget airlines would have a race to get as low as possible, and then the pricier airlines would follow down. This is pretty normal. When the airline industry was deregulated in the 1970s, prices did not drop to the relatively low levels that they were in the 90s and today, instead, it was a steady decrease as competing airlines undercut each other's prices. Prices are some 40 - 50% lower than they were in the 1970s today, and in the late 90s and early 2000s, with cheap fuel and reduced staff, prices were even lower.

BUt, then again, the old mantra of "corporations are always evil" doesn't disrupt your worldview and it's easier to think about. So, n/m.

The Albatross said:
Aye on this, this happens whenever a tax expires or is reduced, and then within a few weeks, somebody else undercuts the competition by shaving their profit margin down. If Airline taxes were to never come back (which obviously is a fantasy, they'll be back as soon as the debt issue is resolved, or bandaided), then within a relatively short period of time, the budget airlines would have a race to get as low as possible, and then the pricier airlines would follow down. This is pretty normal. When the airline industry was deregulated in the 1970s, prices did not drop to the relatively low levels that they were in the 90s and today, instead, it was a steady decrease as competing airlines undercut each other's prices. Prices are some 40 - 50% lower than they were in the 1970s today, and in the late 90s and early 2000s, with cheap fuel and reduced staff, prices were even lower.

BUt, then again, the old mantra of "corporations are always evil" doesn't disrupt your worldview and it's easier to think about. So, n/m.
Just like those baggage feed went away...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom