• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

wondering if someone can help me out.

got the tv. its great. dope. etc. etc. calibrated using rtings settings. all that jazz.

wondering if anyone has used this with an xbox one. fat, not slim. waiting for X for that.

anyway. i ran the calibration on that. I cant get the eye to show up for brightness, nor the sun for contrast. that has to mean i have something set up wrong right? either the hdmi, the color space, something? on the tv, on the xbox.

local dimming on or off does not affect it

unless...im not supposed to see them?

KageMaru

wondering if someone can help me out.

got the tv. its great. dope. etc. etc. calibrated using rtings settings. all that jazz.

wondering if anyone has used this with an xbox one. fat, not slim. waiting for X for that.

anyway. i ran the calibration on that. I cant get the eye to show up for brightness, nor the sun for contrast. that has to mean i have something set up wrong right? either the hdmi, the color space, something? on the tv, on the xbox.

local dimming on or off does not affect it

unless...im not supposed to see them?

I didn't see them either. I think NX gamer may have said you're not supposed to but I can't remember exactly. I wouldn't worry about it.

HoTHiTTeR

The two get along great. I've had zero issues related to my ps4.

What HDR content are you viewing? If it's on your ps4 mal sure you have the hdmi port set to 2.0. You also can't have your ps4 routing through the VR breakout box if you have playstation vr. Outside of that play around with the settings. I think using movie mode with HDR is a waste, personally.

I’m using Forza Horizon 3 on Xbox one s. Ps4 pro with 2k18 and everybody’s golf. Apple TV 4k with the Martian.

All look like gray washed out crap. There’s a forum thread on Avsforum and I have the same issues. Even after enabling hdmi 2.0 and new cables.

I’m using Forza Horizon 3 on Xbox one s. Ps4 pro with 2k18 and everybody’s golf. Apple TV 4k with the Martian.

All look like gray washed out crap. There’s a forum thread on Avsforum and I have the same issues. Even after enabling hdmi 2.0 and new cables.

I'm not much of a tech guy outside of the basic stuff so I can't be of much help outside of what I already said. You might want to do a factory reset and see of that helps but I honestly don't think it will.

HoTHiTTeR

I'm not much of a tech guy outside of the basic stuff so I can't be of much help outside of what I already said. You might want to do a factory reset and see of that helps but I honestly don't think it will.

Can you take some pics of your set running a game in hdr and what your settings are?

I've learned that if you're not used to properly calibrated sets, HDR will look washed out in comparison to SDR. I just bump the color up a bit and it looks fine.

I have a TV stand with a built-in mount and two brackets to attach to a TV. The manual states I need 4 M6 X 18 screws, but I had no luck finding any that fit the back of the TV when I went shopping at Lowe's. The manual seems a bit vague when it comes to hanging up the screen, and the folks at Lowe's weren't any help either.

Could someone who has this thing hanging on a mount forward me to the types of screws they used? I hate using those legs it came with since it takes up so much space when it's sitting on the stand.

I have a TV stand with a built-in mount and two brackets to attach to a TV. The manual states I need 4 M6 X 18 screws, but I had no luck finding any that fit the back of the TV when I went shopping at Lowe's. The manual seems a bit vague when it comes to hanging up the screen, and the folks at Lowe's weren't any help either.

Could someone who has this thing hanging on a mount forward me to the types of screws they used? I hate using those legs it came with since it takes up so much space when it's sitting on the stand.

I don't know if this helps, but I was able to use this stand with its included screws: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CQ1AO3I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

For anyone considering getting it: that stand's not perfect for this TV. I have a thick paperback wedged in behind the TV to keep it from leaning forward from its own weight. Works well enough for me, but your mileage may vary.

AdamMPSP

Just got this tv today, and trying to figure out the best hdr settings for my xbox one s. Seems real dark in forza horizon 3? Any help would be appreciated.

Pacalon

Neo Member
Aynone have any suggestions for a wall mount? Looking for something that can handle this TV, and maybe a bit larger ones for some ability to go 65 in the future, that also has decent adjustment ability since it'll be mounted at an angle and need to be turned to properly aim at the couch.

KageMaru

I use 4 M6x16 screws suggested by the manual:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1275500/Tcl-S301.html?page=6#manual

Just got this tv today, and trying to figure out the best hdr settings for my xbox one s. Seems real dark in forza horizon 3? Any help would be appreciated.

I use these settings for everything and think it looks great:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=246984418

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Finally decided to enter the realm of 4K TVs with this model! It should be delivered Thursday.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So Amazon has the 55S405 on sale for $398. What's the major deficiency here compared to the P607? Was it HDR?

The S series has no local dimming (a necessity for great blacks) and no Dolby Vision.

It's a fine TV, but its hard to recommend since the P series is so much better.

AdamMPSP

I've learned that if you're not used to properly calibrated sets, HDR will look washed out in comparison to SDR. I just bump the color up a bit and it looks fine.

So yeah, I'm having the same issues as the person you answered. Basically Everybody's Golf and Forza Horizon 3 look like washed out gray messes, but is it just because I'm so used to the fake color? I guess I don't understand the appeal of HDR, as having it turned off looks infinitely better to me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

KageMaru

So yeah, I'm having the same issues as the person you answered. Basically Everybody's Golf and Forza Horizon 3 look like washed out gray messes, but is it just because I'm so used to the fake color? I guess I don't understand the appeal of HDR, as having it turned off looks infinitely better to me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

What picture settings are you using in HDR mode?

RedAssedApe

Banned
What peal brightness are you guys setting on gt sport? Following the directions I settled on 35 and left the ev and saturation on the defaults. Wasn’t sure what those do. Heh

KageMaru

What peal brightness are you guys setting on gt sport? Following the directions I settled on 35 and left the ev and saturation on the defaults. Wasn’t sure what those do. Heh

I set mine at 33. That seemed to be the right spot before the blocks disappeared.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I have one of these on the way from Amazon. Can someone confirm that these dimensions listed on amazon are accurate(specifically without the stand)?

Dimensions (W x H x D): TV without stand: 49" x 28.3" x 3", TV with stand: 49" x 30.1" x 8.3"

Also I was thinking of attaching the mount to the wall before it arrives. Are the mounting screws centered in the back?

JaggedSac

I have one of these on the way from Amazon. Can someone confirm that these dimensions listed on amazon are accurate(specifically without the stand)?

Dimensions (W x H x D): TV without stand: 49" x 28.3" x 3", TV with stand: 49" x 30.1" x 8.3"

Also I was thinking of attaching the mount to the wall before it arrives. Are the mounting screws centered in the back?

Yep they are centered horizontally but they are towards the bottom of the screen. 200 x 200 btw as well.

Was looking for a bigger and 4K/HDR living room set since I moved and picked up this TV a couple weeks ago when it was back in stock locally at Best Buy. Loving it so far. Looks beautiful with PS4 Pro. Bought Rachet and Clank earlier this year from an Amazon sale and had never even opened, it but figured it would be a good showcase title and I was not wrong. The image quality is amazing.

Why not just pick up the best buy model instead?

I had a really horrible experience with best buy somewhat recently. Trying to stick to my guns an don't use them. Also I had $100 in cc rewards through Amazon so the TV was $540 total for me. Customer service said it should be shipped any day now but its just been sitting with am estimated ship date of 10/9 and its "processing"

foxbeldin

It's not.
We have the P6046 series which is inferior in every way.

ca68781713c7a5353eb9fa36474b6092f52e8e5b_hq.gif

carsar

So, P607 is slightly worse than 144hgz TN gaming monitos in terms of lag and response time. 8ms vs 12ms response time and 14ms vs 5ms lag(10ms lag with 60hz input.) http://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/aoc/agon-ag271qx-gaming-monitor However TCL is much better in every other aspect. Don't believe in marketing bullshit "tn 1ms is way faster than VA. VA is'not for gaming at all"
At now, p607 is one of the best choice for pc or console gaming, if you are not pro gamer.

Hi All, I'm based in Denmark and the only TCL P series I see here is the TCL P6046. It apparently comes in 55 and 65 inch sizes. Is this the same as the TCL P607 that everyone raves about for its input lag?

SilentRob

Hi All, I'm based in Denmark and the only TCL P series I see here is the TCL P6046. It apparently comes in 55 and 65 inch sizes. Is this the same as the TCL P607 that everyone raves about for its input lag?

Literally two posts above you, dude :p No, it's way worse. There is no equivalent to this TV in Europe, sadly. You'll have to pay way more for worse, sadly.

Literally two posts above you, dude :p No, it's way worse. There is no equivalent to this TV in Europe, sadly. You'll have to pay way more for worse, sadly.

Reading comprehension ftw! No idea how I missed that.. Sucks for us then.

I'm tracking some LG sets on pricerunner.dk, guess I just hold on till one of the OLEDs becomes more affordable.

Can someone on GAF chime in the TCL 55C803 that Costco sells? I really want to pick that mf up tonight. And for $450 and the Costco warranty, what could possibly go wrong?
Edit: Numbers Game

Does anyone use this TV with their PC? Considering buying it, I want to do 4k HDR.

What connection do I need to use? Will HDMI be enough? I have a GTX 1070 GPU.

Does anyone use this TV with their PC? Considering buying it, I want to do 4k HDR.

What connection do I need to use? Will HDMI be enough? I have a GTX 1070 GPU.

HDMI will work, but the quality of the HDMI cable can matter. One 4K HDR HDMI cable I bought didn't work. Replaced it with the Monoprice "premium certified" 4K HDR cables and that worked great.

Spasm

Can someone on GAF chime in the TCL 55C803 that Costco sells? I really want to pick that mf up tonight. And for $450 and the Costco warranty, what could possibly go wrong?
Edit: Numbers Game
Rtings reviewed the C series. The gist of it is, iirc, it's comparable to the S series video-wise (edge-lit, no local dimming), with premium audio built-in, and a nicer cabinet.

Edit: The C is TWICE a bright as the S, but still not as bright as the P.
The S does not have Wide Color Gamut, the C and P do.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I've been having some weird issues getting the TV to work with my PC. Basically, I'm using an 5 year old Denon AVR (HDMI 1.4) to connect my PC to the screen itself. Initially, I wasn't getting any picture until switching the HDMI mode to 2.0. However, now my PC is showing the connection as DVI (even though it's through HDMI), and can therefore not get any sound out of my receiver. What do?

NESpowerhouse

I've been having some weird issues getting the TV to work with my PC. Basically, I'm using an 5 year old Denon AVR (HDMI 1.4) to connect my PC to the screen itself. Initially, I wasn't getting any picture until switching the HDMI mode to 2.0. However, now my PC is showing the connection as DVI (even though it's through HDMI), and can therefore not get any sound out of my receiver. What do?
In addition, I've noticed that I cannot get any sound out of the PS3 or PS4 if the input is set to 2.0 or Auto (it figures because of the receiver). I've also tried switching around cables, but nothing really seemed to work.

NESpowerhouse

In addition, I've noticed that I cannot get any sound out of the PS3 or PS4 if the input is set to 2.0 or Auto (it figures because of the receiver). I've also tried switching around cables, but nothing really seemed to work.

Okay, it might be an issue pertaining to an HDCP handshake between the receiver and the TV. So I go and connect the PC to the TV by itself and try to see if I can use ARC. However, I can not get the sound through the receiver. I also try using optical audio, but it'll only output stereo. I'm completely stuck now.

Top Bottom