• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teacher tells suicidal 8th grader to "carve deeper next time", keeps job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Sir Fragula said:
No, thankyou. Why should I be considerate to some guy I don't know? Right to life - right to death. Enough people live and keep going *every day* in situations far worse than that kid will ever experience. Enough people die against their wishes in hellish circumstances... that expecting sympathy from some brat too stupid to see how damned lucky he is to be growing up in paradise is, frankly, pushing it.
Paradise huh? So you know he was not abused and was healthy, huh? Fuck off.

In This Thread: A bunch of massive vaginas defending another massive vagina, then acting holier than though when people defend the only person in the equation with a set of balls, the teacher.

Seriously, you guys are fucking pussies.

Nikashi

Banned
xS1TH L0RDx said:
In This Thread: A bunch of massive vaginas defending another massive vagina, then acting holier than though when people defend the only person in the equation with a set of balls, the teacher.

Yeah it really takes balls to tell a suicidally depressed teenager he didn't try hard enough on his suicide attempt. Teachers are there to be supportive nd to TEACH, not to BELITTLE MINORS FOR FAILED SUICIDE ATTEMPTS.

That or you had some really fucked up teachers when you were in school, but I'm going with bitter asshole/sociopath.

Dead Man

xS1TH L0RDx said:

As opposed to all the internet tough guys who are too hard to care, huh?

JayDubya

Banned
This man should not be breathing teaching.

Inappropriate humor is something a professional can do, but not in front of the clients.

Directly mocking the pain of your student should be right out, but surprisingly, we're arguing about this.

McLovin

xS1TH L0RDx said:

You can't even make a funny post. Type harder next time.

APF

Sir Fragula said:
I'm sorry, it's going to take an awful lot to convince me that half the people who claim to have 'mental problems' actually do.
Because you're an ignorant choad?

What would you call someone who lacks basic empathy?

Nikashi said:
Yeah it really takes balls to tell a suicidally depressed teenager he didn't try hard enough on his suicide attempt. Teachers are there to be supportive nd to TEACH, not to BELITTLE MINORS FOR FAILED SUICIDE ATTEMPTS.

That or you had some really fucked up teachers when you were in school, but I'm going with bitter asshole/sociopath.
You shouldn't assume that he was suicidal. Kids get hospitalized all the time for superficial self-mutilation but they're not necessarily suicidal. They'll show you some thing that looks like a cat scratch and tell you that they never made any threats or had any suicidal thoughts.

More then likely the article omitting key details and/or taking things out of context in order to sensationalize the story.

The kid probably showed the teacher and students a scratch and said sarcastically that he was suicidal. He probably had behavior like this before. It got back to the parents of said kid and they got pissed. Unprofessional bit of verbal diarrhea by the teacher but not something to be fired over.

Dead Man

pedrothelion said:
You shouldn't assume that he was suicidal. Kids get hospitalized all the time for superficial self-mutilation but they're not necessarily suicidal. They'll show you some thing that looks like a cat scratch and tell you that they never made any threats or had any suicidal thoughts.

More then likely the article omitting key details and/or taking things out of context in order to sensationalize the story.

The kid probably showed the teacher and students a scratch and said sarcastically that he was suicidal. He probably had behavior like this before. It got back to the parents of said kid and they got pissed. Unprofessional bit of verbal diarrhea by the teacher but not something to be fired over.
I like that you say the story doesn't have all the details, so people should not assume something, then you go and do exactly that. Awesome.

idahoblue said:
I like that you say the story doesn't have all the details, so people should not assume something, then you go and do exactly that. Awesome.
The media is known to embellish details of stories. I try to be wise consumer of information and the details of this story just don't add up. I have some experience with this stuff and my scenario seems much more plausible then the one given in the story. That being said if the kid showed his wrist and it had some huge sutured wound the teacher should have been fired. But then again if the kid did that he probably wasn't stable enough to be out of the hospital to begin with.

Dead Man

pedrothelion said:
The media is known to embellish details of stories. I try to be wise consumer of information and the details of this story just don't add up. I have some experience with this stuff and my scenario seems much more plausible then the one given in the story. That being said if the kid showed his wrist and it had some huge sutured wound the teacher should have been fired. But then again if the kid did that he probably wasn't stable enough to be out of the hospital to begin with.
No, you just assumed a bunch of stuff. That's okay, but don't call other people out for it.

Walshicus

APF said:
Because you're an ignorant choad?
No, because I'm convinced the dominant form of 'mental illness' in the 21st century is egocentrism, and frankly I don't care much for those who suffer it.

What would you call someone who lacks basic empathy?
Apathetic?

Dead Man

Sir Fragula said:
No, because I'm convinced the dominant form of 'mental illness' in the 21st century is egocentrism, and frankly I don't care much for those who suffer it.
What is your evidence for this conclusion, other than your own massive... egocentrism?

the kid was an attention whore and he got what he wanted, good for the teacher.

someone who really wants to commit suicide won't fail so miserably.

it's not exactly a hard thing to accomplish...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
wow, wtf happened in this thread?

I'm speechless

Not the responses I expected at all

whitehawk

Banned
Sir Fragula said:
No, thankyou. Why should I be considerate to some guy I don't know? Right to life - right to death. Enough people live and keep going *every day* in situations far worse than that kid will ever experience. Enough people die against their wishes in hellish circumstances... that expecting sympathy from some brat too stupid to see how damned lucky he is to be growing up in paradise is, frankly, pushing it.
OH please. I guess your family shouldn't feel sympathy for you if you try to kill yourself right? You live in a developed country, stop complaining.

Sure this kid doesn't have it as bad as many children in Africa or Iraq for example, but does that mean you should treat him like shit in his time of need? Hell no. You need to grow up. Mental illnesses can do a lot more to you than you may think. It's not a serious case, but I have anxiety right now, and a month or so ago, I felt like complete shit, depressed, and thought of suicide. While I had absolutely no intention of actually committing suicide, there are people out there with depression and other mental illnesses who feel 100x worse than I did. They feel like there is no hope, and that suicide really is the best solution. For you to tell me that this kid deserved what was said to him is very insulting.

Sir Fragula said:
Go fuck yourself.

APF

Sir Fragula said:
I assume this is because you spend too much time looking in the mirror. Why do you hate yourself?

Walshicus

The Faceless Master said:
the kid was an attention whore and he got what he wanted, good for the teacher.

someone who really wants to commit suicide won't fail so miserably.

it's not exactly a hard thing to accomplish...
Exactly. If he wanted to die, at 14 with internet access I'm sure he'd be dead - which would of course be his own damn choice, which everyone has the right to make.

But he's still here with cuts on his wrist and frankly any sympathy just perpetuates the validity of his attention seeking.

I assume this is because you spend too much time looking in the mirror. Why do you hate yourself?
Is this better or worse than "I know you are but what am I"? I mean, there are a tonne of diverging opinions on display here; a lot of people arguing quite forcefully... but did you actually read that and think "yeeees... that'll show him"?

Teddman said:
Schwarzenegger tried very hard to reform teacher regulations (and specifically the disciplinary/dismissal process) in a special election a few years ago and was hammered by millions of dollars worth of attack ads by the teachers' union.

Some sad teacher saying "Governor, you're hurting our schools and our kids" over and over again, totally misrepresenting what the measure was about. It failed to pass.

The teachers' union has WAY too much power in the state, and is a big drain on the budget as well.

Schwarzenegger had two proposals I was way into that should have passed: teacher reform, and redistricting. Those union fuckers ruined the education reform initiative and the commies who stood to lose from redistricting ruined both of them.

I was really bummed out that the measures didn't pass because they were just rock solid excellent ideas and attack campaigns and misinformation killed them quick. Then again, he didn't really do as much campaigning/publicity as he needed to.

Edit - Oh, and that teacher should have been fired on-site.

GriffD17

idahoblue said:
As opposed to all the internet tough guys who are too hard to care, huh?
kaneklapqo6.gif

myDingling said:
Maybe you guys would be more sympathetic if the teacher was a pedophile and the eighth grader was a kitten.

Nah, I'd be more sympathetic if I:

1.) Had never worked with 8th graders before and didn't know what they were like or how they acted.

2.) Never was an 8th grader in my life.

3.) Wasn't aware of the sensationalism that the media takes to always, always, always blow a story out of proportion.

and

4.) Wasn't aware that forms of self-mutilation for the sole purpose of attention, and then standing up in front of the class and presenting it, was pathetic.

As I stated before, the teacher was out of line. But to be fired over it? Nope. And what if he had a family and/or kids that depended on his income? Is it okay to fuck them over, over his tacky comment?

Monocle

evil solrac v3.0 said:
no, it means that there is no real discussion. perfect example right here.
So let me get this straight. My jocular response to your inane comment invalidates every topical post in this thread. Whatever you say, duder.

Protip: stop reading threads about subjects that bore you.

i hate bees said:

I see your
whysoseriousbanner03sec.gif
and raise you a
9jdlvn.jpg

I agree with the notion that there are better ways to call attention to your problems than self mutilation. However, the teacher's comments were obviously way too ingenuous for the situation. I'm not excusing what he said, but I'd wager that in his mind it may have seemed the best way to deal with the matter.

Typically however, with stories such as this, you never get the whole truth of the matter. Most journalists are masters of the use of equivocation, so there is little point in getting worked upped over this.

Ninja99 said:
So let me get this straight. My jocular response to your inane comment invalidates every topical post in this thread. Whatever you say, duder.

Protip: stop reading threads about subjects that bore you.

I see your
whysoseriousbanner03sec.gif
and raise you a
9jdlvn.jpg

the subject interests me asshole, but it's impossible to talk about rationally when we have people who accuse others of caring more about animals IN ANOTHER THREAD mind you than human beings.
so my point is that topics deviate too much and as result real conversation degrades to the point where it's just sad. but i guess it's good enough for you. and i'll thank you not to tell me when or what topics to read because i certainly haven't stopped you from commenting. i can't believe how thick headed you are acting (which proves my point) about how people act so indignant at others who make tasteless but ultimately harmless jokes. it is the internet, take some advice from your avatar.

Monocle

evil solrac v3.0 said:
the subject interests me asshole, but it's impossible to talk about rationally when we have people who accuse others of caring more about animals IN ANOTHER THREAD mind you than human beings.
so my point is that topics deviate too much and as result real conversation degrades to the point where it's just sad. but i guess it's good enough for you. and i'll thank you not to tell me when or what topics to read because i certainly haven't stopped you from commenting. i can't believe how thick headed you are acting (which proves my point) about how people act so indignant at others who make tasteless but ultimately harmless jokes. it is the internet, take some advice from your avatar.
I used the insensitive comments in this thread as a springboard to address a larger moral issue. My purpose wasn't to censor anyone, but to share my personal view on the main subject, and on the discussion thus far.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume everyone's joking. I've always found it strange how some people talk about discussion on the internet as though it's less valid than correspondence through other media. In the proper context, online conversations can be every bit as mature and constructive as conversations anywhere else. In the case of this thread, I think the grave subject matter of the original post justifies a serious response. I'm not obligated to joke around about repellent bullshit just because other posters do. I don't need a cue from someone else to try to conduct a rational discussion.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
A little-known review commission overruled the board, saying that although the teacher had made the statements, he had meant no harm.
I'm used to newspapers playing things up for sensationalism. So I'm trying to imagine a scenario where this is true. Was the kid joining in? Was he trying to laugh it off with the class with a tough guy routine? Did he have a brave, sad smile on his face? Is there some place or time in this world where this kind of behavior passes for acceptance? Because at face value it's brutal, but I've heard best friends say worse to each other and laugh it off. I've seen GAFFers post their own personal tragedies and welcome all the horrifying puns that inevitably follow.

The other sad part of this story is how distrustful we are of the media these days. When did that happen? Maybe they were right and those statements were just as mean and callous in context as they are in the article.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Just read this whole article. No words. The teacher shouldn't be making comments like this. I think it's completely disrespectful and pretty insulting to the kid. I'm surprised that he kept his job as a teacher and wasn't fired. I don't think teachers should make these types of statements when there's victims of serious issues involved and should be punished for it because they are adults and should know better.

APF

Sir Fragula said:
Is this better or worse than "I know you are but what am I"? I mean, there are a tonne of diverging opinions on display here; a lot of people arguing quite forcefully... but did you actually read that and think "yeeees... that'll show him"?
I don't care if I "show you." I honestly don't care about you or your emotions. I'm just pointing out why you might feel that way.

Walshicus

APF said:
I don't care if I "show you."
That's what she said, but what am I?

I honestly don't care about you or your emotions.
... okay. I don't care much for your fridge or your sense of æsthetics. So fuck them.

I'm just pointing out why you might feel that way.
Oh well as long as we're clear! I'll be sure to stay away from mirrors in future and develop a healthy sense of id and superego to counter my plain old regular ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom