• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team of 8-Year-Olds Kneels During the National Anthem

Hex

Banned
This came across my social media, and I did not see a thread.

Story here

After then-San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick protested the national anthem during the 2016-17 season, many other players jumped in and did the same, and have continued the protests into the 2017 season.

However, on Sunday, the protests were taken to a whole new level when an entire St. Louis football team of 25 players, all younger than eight years old, took a knee rather than standing during the national anthem.

The coach, former Mizzou football player Orlando Gooden, told Fox 2 Now St. Louis, ”one of the kids asked me if I saw (people) protesting and rioting in St. Louis. I said yes; I said, ‘Do you know why they are doing it?'" The coach said that his player responded, "because black people are getting killed and nobody's going to jail."

Needless to say the thread is a clusterfuck.
Link to the Facebook thread here

I say good on the kids, and good on the coach.

Kids have a clarity and openness before tainted by adults, and this is constantly proven true.

That thread is depressing. But I'm glad these kids have some stand up adults in their lives.

Who the fuck decided we have to play the national anthem before certain (but not all) sporting events anyway?

weekev

Banned
Good stuff, props to the coach for teaching these kids unity. If we educate future generations we wont have the same monumentally fucked up system that currently exists in America where black people are still being persecuted for the colour of their skin.

JJH

Reading those comments...

lkrwtf.gif

DonShula

We're on the darkest fucking timeline when adults are going after eight year olds for understanding injustice and responding to it.

Hex

Banned
It is disturbing how many are all "If it were my kid, I would take them out so fast!" "Fire that coach" "Kid's shouldn't be able to make decisions for themselves!" (The last is my favorite).

I really hope an example is made tomorrow for the whole country to see.

We're on the darkest fucking timeline when adults are going after eight year olds for understanding injustice and responding to it.

Obviously the children are supposed to blindly conform to their parents beliefs. What’s the point of having kids if you don’t get to perpetuate your ignorance?

What's amazing is the people in that thread complaining that the kids are brainwashed and don't know what they're saying. I suppose if the kids were all putting their hands on their hearts and reciting the anthem by rote memorization they would regard that as a spontaneous display of patriotism?

RS4-

The kids are more educated, and understand issues better than the scum fuck racists of America.

Fred-87

"because black people are getting killed and nobody's going to jail.”

Its so sad when this is stuff a 8 year old has on his mind. He should be concerned about what pokemon card to get and so on :(

Who the fuck decided we have to play the national anthem before certain (but not all) sporting events anyway?

Found the column about how the NFL and the military came together in 2009 to turn the start of every game into a miltary-fellating exercise in jingoistic indoctrination.

NO NFL PLAYER STOOD FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM UNTIL 2009—BEFORE THEN, THE PLAYERS STAYED IN THE LOCKER ROOM AS THE ANTHEM PLAYED. NFL TEAMS GOT PATRIOTIC IN RECENT YEARS BECAUSE IT WAS GOOD FOR BUSINESS. A 2015 CONGRESSIONAL REPORT REVEALED THAT THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE HAD PAID $5.4 MILLION TO NFL TEAMS BETWEEN 2011 AND 2014 TO STAGE ON-FIELD PATRIOTIC CEREMONIES; THE NATIONAL GUARD SHELLED OUT $6.7 MILLION FOR SIMILAR DISPLAYS BETWEEN 2013 AND 2015.

The idolatry towards the flag and the national anthem is rather disconcerting in a nation that represents itself on the international stage as a bastion of freedom and independence.

Top Bottom