• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Sonic Racing

It has been almost a year since i got the game at release and i sometimes struggle to even remember i play it, which i guess is telling. I tried to replay it a few weeks ago, and i couldn't last more than an hour before i decided to pop in Crash Team Racing. The problem with the game is just that, it is inferior in every way to Sonic Transformed, which is one of my most favorite racing games out there. The love letter to Sega, the dynamic courses such as the Dragoon Stage and Burning Rangers stage that can change itself mid race. It just feels so much more memorable.

In contrast, Team Sonic Racing i can just compare it to yawners like Looney Tunes Racing or All-star Fruit. It is just so bland and forgettable, except for the music, but what Sonic game ever had bad music?

What are your throughts on Team Sonic Racing?

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I expected this game to be popular given its predecessor. You're right I haven't heard much about it.

I expected this game to be popular given its predecessor. You're right I haven't heard much about it.
I think the problem was that it was a step down in quality to Transformed, and then there was the Crash Team Racing that had hype and was released a month letter, and , while i was not terribly happy with the micro transactions, To me, it was a better executed game.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Hated it, and i'm someone who honestly thinks Sonic Racing Transformed is arguably the best kart racer ever. Team Sonic Racing is a step back in almost every way. Its a half arsed project, that just didnt have the budget of the last game for some reason.

I wish this game have exclusive guest characters

Nintendo: Mario. From Mario Kart
Xbox : Marcus phoenix and a bike or Masterchief and their vehicle Warhog
Playstation : Kat from Gravity rush
PC : Kiryu or Majima from Yakuza series or Team fortress Characters.

I always forget that Crash Team Racing is even a thing because there’s still no PC version.

Who the hell wants to play an online racing game on a console? :sick:

Stuart360

I always forget that Crash Team Racing is even a thing because there’s still no PC version.

Who the hell wants to play an online racing game on a console? :sick:
Whats wrong with playing an online racing game ona console?, or are you on about the 30fps?.
Its a shame Crash Racing never came to PC. We have a shortage of good kart racers as it is.

bender

What time is it?
Loved Transformed. I see Team Racing on sale for $20 all the time but can't convince myself to pull the trigger.

Last edited:

Fake

Sonic Team Racing just prove how bad Sonic Team really is. Can someone explain to me why thry keep speaking the hole damn race?
I don't know was the brilhant person to remove what was best in Sega All Star Racing: the cast.

They really think 'Sonic Friends' are popular at the point of remove all Sega cast?
I almost get this game day one, but I glad I pick up CTR instead of this.

Whats wrong with playing an online racing game ona console?, or are you on about the 30fps?.
Its a shame Crash Racing never came to PC. We have a shortage of good kart racers as it is.

Paying a monthly fee to have to play it online is a good start. It’s a kart racer, not a MMORPG. Crash is dead in the water til they bring it to a free online platform.

It has been almost a year since i got the game at release and i sometimes struggle to even remember i play it, which i guess is telling. I tried to replay it a few weeks ago, and i couldn't last more than an hour before i decided to pop in Crash Team Racing. The problem with the game is just that, it is inferior in every way to Sonic Transformed, which is one of my most favorite racing games out there. The love letter to Sega, the dynamic courses such as the Dragoon Stage and Burning Rangers stage that can change itself mid race. It just feels so much more memorable.

In contrast, Team Sonic Racing i can just compare it to yawners like Looney Tunes Racing or All-star Fruit. It is just so bland and forgettable, except for the music, but what Sonic game ever had bad music?

What are your throughts on Team Sonic Racing?

You pretty much nailed it. A remodeled Transformed with an all Sonic cast would've been great. Instead it was so convoluted (and CHATTY!! oh my goodness the characters do not shut up) that it just quickly became dull and annoying instead of new and innovative.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I absolutely loved Transformed. The tracks were fantastic, they really are, as another poster above said, a love letter to Sega games, and they look fabulous as well as being good fun. Mario Kart 8 does the same for Nintendo - both games are clearly designed with love for the gamers and the game.

Honestly the previews I saw for the new one just looked bland. I don’t see the point of it existing when it doesn’t seem to offer anything meaningfully better than Transformed, and when Transformed is still perfectly enjoyable today (can we have a Switch port please?).

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
That's a general issue with Sonic ever since Adventure.

Voice acting in video games was a mistake (in some cases)

You’re actually kinda right. An interesting thing with the Switch is that most games are not fully voiced. Initially it was a bit odd - clearly a product of limited storage, but I came to realise that this was a choice which stopped games becoming cutscene-driven interactive movies. I firmly believe that it’s a very specific part of why Nintendo create such good games.

UnNamed

Banned
I played it on Switch for some hours and I enjoyed it but in the end I didn't enjoy it as SAOSRT and I don't know why. SAOSRT had undoubtedly a better formula. I have to replay it at some point.

Birdo

Banned
The crazy part is that it was also Sumo Digital.

I'll assume they were busy with other projects (Crackdown 3 :messenger_grimmacing_) and made this one on the side.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Sega really wants people to like Sonic characters and people are like "I like your other characters you spergs". That is why this game died. Also the previous SANIC game was infinitely better.

Carna

Banned
it's a good game, but the writing for the story (especially sonic games since 2010) is pretty bad

itt: people are complaining about sonic not being a 2d platformer

cireza

Awesome game, my kid played it a ton, I myself played it quite a lot. Car customization is very fun.

The game runs well on Xbox One X, you get a nice picture and a smooth framerate. This is a huge improvement over the two previous games, which were 30fps only.

Last edited:

SonicJams

Well I'm biased here, but I liked it enough. The team mechanic is boring though and it needed way more content.

lock2k

Banned
I still prefer the first one. Transformed is really good but to me Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing is still the coolest one.

Saber

Its a failure of a racing game. Its not par with All Star Racing series and didn't even tried to be a better racing game. They just wanted to deliver a Sonic race game for people to not forget that Sonic is a thing, hence why the game is so normal(aka not trying to be anything special).

To make the matters worse, they make the game less torelable thanks to the non stop trashtalk. Which is a sign that Sonic Team people might had some kind of involvment, since this kind of retard idea is their signature move(along with vocal music). Even the team mechanic is boring and is not even a new idea.

People are better off playing All Star Racing games or Crash Team Racing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom