• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway Unfolded |OT|

FrsDvl

UWoC2pT.png

• Details

• System: Playstation 4
    [*]Genre: Platormer
    [*]Release Date: September 8th, 2015
    [*]Developer: Tarsier Studios / Media Molecule
    [*]Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment Europe
  • Demo

Unfold an incredible adventure

Uncover the true power of your DualShock 4 to join forces with Atoi the Messenger in a daring quest to deliver a top-secret message.
Unfold her magical papery world, save her pals in peril and battle the monsters trying to stop her delivery!
Overflowing with PS4-exclusive features, surprises and secrets, you don’t just play Tearaway Unfolded… you’re in it!

What can you do with your DualShock 4
• Catch stuff hurled out of your TV – and throw it back to solve puzzles and take down the baddies.
• Guide atoi through dark, scary places by shining the light bar at your TV.
• Whip up a windstorm to discover hidden paths, and pilot a papery plane by swiping the touch pad.

• Second Screen experience

With a smartphone or tablet, a second player can customise the papery world and characters with
their own wild designs and real-world images as you play.​

• Videos

ElTorro said:
I haven't yet really figured out how different this game is from the original on the Vita. They obviously revamped the controls and must have changed some puzzles accordingly. But the general structure and levels are the same?

I played the game on the Vita. I quite enjoyed it. It has a lot of charm. But I don't necessarily feel like replaying the same game again.

The journey takes you across a few lands, but Media Molecule has added multiple areas that weren’t in the original. If you’ve played Tearaway before, at first it feels like Unfolded is making you think your mind is playing tricks on you. Rather than you having a bad memory, it becomes quickly apparent that Unfolded has so much new content that it feels like a new game rather than a remake. Instead of just putting out a new version of a game that was great on a system with low ownership numbers, this feels like the ultimate version of the game. There’s more story, more levels, and new mechanics that fix some of the issues that existed before.

Firstly, there’s no rear touch to worry about. As you bounce around on drum-like trampolines, you don’t have to fumble at the rear of the Vita hoping you’re getting it right; instead this is all done on the touchpad: push it down to depress the drum, release to make the messenger jump. Where the story once went in a certain direction, even the transitions between areas have changed when it comes to the narrative. The touchpad comes into play again when you are able to control the winds, and this gives way to another new mechanic, allowing you to craft a paper plane and fly around on it. Motion controls are used sparingly through the original portions of Tearaway, but some of the new, more tricky levels employ them heavily. They work well and add a layer of difficulty that wasn’t really there before.
http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/tearaway-unfolded-review/

Tearaway was built from the ground up for the Vita, and so Tearaway Unfolded has been rebuilt for the DualShock 4. This is much more than a spruced up remaster. This is a bottom to top remake, with entirely new gameplay mechanics and large sections of the game changed completely to accommodate them.

The core, however, remains the same. Controlling either Aoti or Iota, two envelope-faced messengers, your aim to reach a tear in the sky of their whimsical papercraft world. Peering in through this tear is The You, as in literally you, the player, using the PlayStation Camera as a portal through which you become a godlike figure to the characters.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-07-tearaway-unfolded-review

FrsDvl

Put this together real quick, couldn't even think of a title. But this game deserves an OT just as much as any other game does!

Missed this one on Vita, was sure to pick up the ps4 version.

Haven't found the time to play it yet today though, really looking forward to it though.

weekev

Banned
Put this together real quick, couldn't even think of a title. But this game deserves an OT just as much as any other game does!
Fyi, not sure whats happening but format is wonky on mobile, agree that an OT was needed though, seems like a great game by all accounts, will pick up once Im done with MGSV.

Ascenion

Yay an OT is up!! Now then, anyone else having an issue where the code in the crafted edition doesn't give you the soundtrack?

Paskil

Tearaway Unfolded (OT) Won't even sell 14,000

Seriously, though, people should buy this. This looks like a great port and a lot of love was put into the original and great care was put into bringing it to PS4.

Lebneney

Banned
I have the Vita version of the game, but please mods use...

Tearaway Unfolded |OT| It may be another tacit admission that the Vita is dead.

Elitist1945

Wow thankfully Amazon actually got this to me on release day. Only have had a chance to play for an hour, but yup, still as fun as I remember.

Wil348

I....think this may just be my GOTY so far. It's absolutely fantastic, and for the most part it feels like a completely new experience from the Vita original.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I haven't yet really figured out how different this game is from the original on the Vita. They obviously revamped the controls and must have changed some puzzles accordingly. But the general structure and levels are the same?

I played the game on the Vita. I quite enjoyed it. It has a lot of charm. But I don't necessarily feel like replaying the same game again.

Loudninja

The journey takes you across a few lands, but Media Molecule has added multiple areas that weren’t in the original. If you’ve played Tearaway before, at first it feels like Unfolded is making you think your mind is playing tricks on you. Rather than you having a bad memory, it becomes quickly apparent that Unfolded has so much new content that it feels like a new game rather than a remake. Instead of just putting out a new version of a game that was great on a system with low ownership numbers, this feels like the ultimate version of the game. There’s more story, more levels, and new mechanics that fix some of the issues that existed before.

Firstly, there’s no rear touch to worry about. As you bounce around on drum-like trampolines, you don’t have to fumble at the rear of the Vita hoping you’re getting it right; instead this is all done on the touchpad: push it down to depress the drum, release to make the messenger jump. Where the story once went in a certain direction, even the transitions between areas have changed when it comes to the narrative. The touchpad comes into play again when you are able to control the winds, and this gives way to another new mechanic, allowing you to craft a paper plane and fly around on it. Motion controls are used sparingly through the original portions of Tearaway, but some of the new, more tricky levels employ them heavily. They work well and add a layer of difficulty that wasn’t really there before.
http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/tearaway-unfolded-review/

Tearaway was built from the ground up for the Vita, and so Tearaway Unfolded has been rebuilt for the DualShock 4. This is much more than a spruced up remaster. This is a bottom to top remake, with entirely new gameplay mechanics and large sections of the game changed completely to accommodate them.

The core, however, remains the same. Controlling either Aoti or Iota, two envelope-faced messengers, your aim to reach a tear in the sky of their whimsical papercraft world. Peering in through this tear is The You, as in literally you, the player, using the PlayStation Camera as a portal through which you become a godlike figure to the characters.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-07-tearaway-unfolded-review

nikos

Game was incredible on the Vita.

The PS4 demo is just as charming, however I really believe you need a camera to get the full intended experience. It's what made the game a personal experience and really special.

That being said, I'm going to double dip.

Elitist1945

Game was incredible on the Vita.

The PS4 demo is just as charming, however I really believe you need a camera to get the full intended experience. It's what made the game a personal experience and really special.

Luckily I have a camera for the PS4. How would it even work without it, as they do make a point to show that feature a lot.

This. I really want to know just how much new content I can expect before I buy this.

wouwie

I didn't know Tarsier Studios was involved in this one aswell. I thought it was an MM only game (not that it matters).

Anyway, i'm buying my (physical) copy today and i look forward to revisiting this game. I quite liked it on Vita. I fear for sales figures though. There just isn't a market for this on consoles (except for Nintendo).

Played the demo and its definitely not for me. Media Molecule continues to be a developer I have the utmost respect for, yet can't get into any of their games. Hope it does well however as I can clearly see its quality.

Best wishes.

Can't find the game on any Amazon top 100 right now, whatever it's France, UK or USA.

Reminds me of Puppeteer, a jewel and also one of the biggest PS3 flop ever seen. Is it only possible to sell some cute platforming somewhere else than Nintendo ?

I'm so pissed at this I'll probably buy it sooner than I've planned. Hope those who made the jump will enjoy the game.

(sorry for the crappy mood, eh)

Top Bottom