• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech’s New Most Meaningless Spec: PPI - Gizmodo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its an amoled screen and, like I've been saying for months, AMOLED SCREENS ARE FUCKING CRAP!!!

m7w9c.jpg

Nicktendo86

i predict they go back to PenTile if they plan on matching 1080p screens that are currently being used on other devices.

Indeed, the leaps and bounds HTC is making with LCD screens on their phones is amazing, really leaving amoled behind AND doesn't have horrible drawbacks such as burn in. I can't believe Samsung have invested so much money into amoled, they are kind of stuck with it now aren't they?

ektoll

It's really far from meaningless! It's important that we have technological efforts in every directions. With this phone, it's the screen, with the Motorola Razr HD Maxx it's the battery, with the N4 the CPU... It helps improving the smartphone market.

The argument saying "I don't need this, I won't see the difference" is really unfitting for a website focused on new technologies. :/

I, for one, welcome our new PPI overlord.

Edit:
You use a magnifying glass when using your phone often?

Easy_D
"Never left the stone age"

Sorry, had to ;p

Man the S3 and Nexus 4 has kerning issues or something. H and E are bothering me as well as the H and A. Especially when you look at text on DNA and iPhone 4.

Noooo, why did you say that, can't unsee!

Indeed, the leaps and bounds HTC is making with LCD screens on their phones is amazing, really leaving amoled behind AND doesn't have horrible drawbacks such as burn in. I can't believe Samsung have invested so much money into amoled, they are kind of stuck with it now aren't they?

HTC are making no technological leaps and bounds in LCD technology. LG and Japan Display are though.

LCfiner

It's Gizmodo so the headline is needlessly sensationalistic but there's a point about increased PPI being kinda useless beyond a certain point.

I mean, it's great that tech keeps advancing but, as a selling point, there's little - if any - noticeable difference to our eyes between 300 and 400 PPI. there's a bigger difference between pentile arrangements and RGB pixels at the same PPI. Everyone will be better off when pentile can go away.

no.

they just believe that it's the present and future of display tech.

Zeppu

Kerning looks off here too. Even in this small pic. What the hell is going on?

I honestly have no idea. Weirder is the fact that I tried it on the phone itself, zoomed in and zoomed out and that distance between the h and the a just isn't there.

TheExodu5

Banned
Excerpt from Gizmodo's iPhone 4 Review

Some people will see the difference between even the higher echelon of PPI. It is like 720 -> 1080P -> 1440P

I am a huge videophile, I have 20/10 vision, and I cannot see a single pixel on my S3 no matter how hard I try. I can see an incredibly faint pixel structure if I hold the phone about 3 inches from my face, but that's very uncomfortable for my eyes.

TheExodu5

Banned

Pointless picture. You can only properly compare contrast when matching brightness levels.

My only issue with the screen on the S3 is that the viewing angles aren't very good. There's color shift as you angle the phone side to side. This is very evident with white backgrounds. White takes on a greenish tint when viewed head on, and a blueish tint when viewed from the side.

PPI has been around for fucking ever too. Why is a measure of pixel density meaningless? Ever play games on an old Atari Lynx?

Did you even read the article? They say anything over 300 ppi is indiscernible to the human eye at the distance you normally hold your phone.

Davidion

Never really was too bothered by the screen resolution; though more PPI is typically better and often noticeable, the trade off in battery life in performance is obviously the big concern.

For instance, I still don't understand why people complain about pentile on the S3. My phone looks fine, and though comparing it side-by-side with an one X makes it look a little worse, it's really not all that big of an issue during daily use.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Did you even read the article? They say anything over 300 ppi is indiscernible to the human eye at the distance you normally hold your phone.

They have said the same thing about anything over 1080p at comfortable television viewing distance, and yet fools be pushing 4k and 8k anyway.

Resolution / size-in-inches = PPI. Here's a calculator for it.

With a lot of background in graphic design, I mostly just came here to say that PPI has been around for years, is part of the three-part formula to describe both the size and sharpness of an image, and doesn't mean much unless you have one of the other stats too.

Thread title says PPI is a meaningless spec. Not PPI is a meaningless spec when above 300 PPI at the normal distance you hold you phone.

Samsung-Galaxy-S3-vs-iPhone-5-for-gaming.jpg

Does everyone hold their phone at the same predictable distance, regardless of variations in the size of the person, or the size of the phone? Because optimal viewing distance for a TV varies based on the size of the screen...

I recently used a Galaxy S3 for a weekend, and having also used an iPhone 4S/5, Lumia 900, Xperia Ion and a bunch of other phones, at no point did I think 'this screen is so bad!'. Quite the contrary, it looked great.

That's why this fetish for specs is silly. Only people obsessed with knowing their phone has the highest possible resolution will care. Your day-to-day experience of any high-end smartphone these days is generally the same.

Thread title says PPI is a meaningless spec. Not PPI is a meaningless spec when above 300 PPI at the normal distance you hold you phone.

Does everyone hold their phone at the same predictable distance, regardless of variations in the size of the person, or the size of the phone? Because optimal viewing distance for a TV varies based on the size of the screen...

I said the article. I was paraphrasing, but here are the quotes:

Welcome to your new favorite meaningless stat: ppi.
The problem with most specs is that beyond a certain point, they fail to be useful.

According to those who toil away in research labs, the human eye can not discern granular detail when it is higher than 300 PPI. Hence Apple's 326 PPI display in the iPhone 4 back in 2010. Yes, some—notably Dr. Raymond Soneira of DisplayMate—have argued that no display will be perfectly "retina" until it has a density of 477 PPI. But others, like University of Utah professor Bryan Jones, dispute the basis of Soneira's reasoning, arguing that from a foot away, displays will actually appear retina when greater than 287 PPI. But even Soneira acknowledeged that the retina effect kicks in when a 300 PPI display is held 18 inches away. You know. Where you hold your phone.

Emphasis mine.

msv

Printing press printing on 300+ DPI, completely useless too I guess? Maybe someone should tell em, they could definitely save some ink there.

The entire reason the concept of Anti-Aliasing even exists is because of insufficient pixel density.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Printing press printing on 300+ DPI, completely useless too I guess? Maybe someone should tell em, they could definitely save some ink there.

The entire reason the concept of Anti-Aliasing even exists is because of insufficient pixel density.

Exactly.

Try telling some people that they should not be able to perceive the difference between 60 and 120 frames per second. Our eyes are analog equipment.

Loofy

Youre just a specwhore, we dont need our fancy displays looking as good as 600 year old technology.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
They have said the same thing about anything over 1080p at comfortable television viewing distance, and yet fools be pushing 4k and 8k anyway.

Resolution / size-in-inches = PPI. Here's a calculator for it.

With a lot of background in graphic design, I mostly just came here to say that PPI has been around for years, is part of the three-part formula to describe both the size and sharpness of an image, and doesn't mean much unless you have one of the other stats too.

Samsung-Galaxy-S3-vs-iPhone-5-for-gaming.jpg

The thread title is not a total summary of the article.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I said the article. I was paraphrasing, but here are the quotes:

Emphasis mine.
I kinda agree with the articles point, but I refuse to believe that the average viewing distance for a phone is 18 inches. Kinda feel like they are buying into the 'retina' marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom