• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techland has added microtransactions to Dying Light 2. Players are outraging.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Techland has released Update 1.12 for Dying Light 2: Stay Human which adds microtransactions to the game. Dying Light 2 came out in February 2022, meaning that it took Techland over a year in order to add microtransactions to it. This is a huge disappointment for a lot of Dying Light fans.

Tencent acquired Techland recently, so we don’t know if this has anything to do with this predatory monetization tactic.

Dying-Light-2_-Stay-Human_20230908103051.jpg

Dying-Light-2_-Stay-Human_20230908103058.jpg

Right now, the game has Mixed Reviews on Steam (though its overall status still remains Mostly Positive). And yeah, this sucks since a lot of PC gamers supported both Dying Light games.

Techland currently gives away free 500 DL Points that players need to redeem by October 7th. However, it appears that most of the stuff that you can purchase via the in-game store cost more than 500 DL Points. So basically, you won’t be able to get anything useful with these free points.

Moreover, the switch to DL Points meant that transactions weren’t as simple since gear bundles weren’t being sold at the exact values of the DL Point bundles. For example, if players want to buy the Firedevil Bundle on the store for 750 DL Points right now, they’d have to spend $9.99 to get 1,100 DL Points. And while it does offer discounts for those who buy the bigger DL Point bundles, this system means that players will usually have leftover points and might even have to overspend to get the bundle they want.

To remedy this, Techland noted it is working on solutions suggested by the community. One of these suggestions is letting users buy individual parts of existing bundles. This means that, while there will still probably be leftover points, players can at least pick and choose smaller items to use up their remaining balance.

Last edited:

mitch1971

Step 1: Release MTX
Step 2: Not a reasonable MTX - but a step over the line MTX, using the well worn idea of forcing players to buy more than they have to to get what they want.
Step 3: Wait for the outrage!
Step 4: Apologies to the players and act like this is the first time an MTX has ever been invented and show you are learning from your mistake.
Step 5: Appease the player base by taking on their suggestions (suggestions the company has already planned for months ago)
Step 6: Release a newer less egregious MTX.
Step 7: Wait for the player base to say we did it guys, they listened.
Step 8: Company now has MTX's in the game they originally planned with players on your side.
Step 9: Profit
Step 10: Do it all again on the next game.

winjer

Gold Member
This game was a disappointment, but Techland has released several patches trying to improve it, so I thought that one day it might become a good game.
But those hopes are now busted.
It's obvious they are more interested in ripping off consumers, rather than making a good game.

Virex

Banned
I've had a sealed PS5 copy since launch. How is the game now? MTX shit aside, is it good enough now to play? And is it good enough to warrant me getting platinum?

Antwix

Not sure why this is anything new. The first game had a bunch of dlc crap too. This buying points shit is awful though.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I've had a sealed PS5 copy since launch. How is the game now? MTX shit aside, is it good enough now to play? And is it good enough to warrant me getting platinum?
In the vast tapestry of existence, wherein every choice and action reverberates throughout the span of time, it is quite remarkable to behold the profound significance concealed within the seemingly trifle decisions that we encounter along the ethereal path of life. For in the delicate interplay between fleeting moments and the consequence-laden crossroads, lies an enchanting revelation of the magnificent tapestry that is our collective human journey. As a whisper amidst the clamor of existence, the decision, seemingly trivial, echoes with the resounding impact of a thousand lifetimes, reminding us that in each fleeting instant resides the grand narrative of our remarkable voyage through the boundless cosmos.

All that is to say, the game's fine and you can feel out whether you want to Platinum after giving it some time.

wipeout364

I don’t understand what people are upset about. Dying Light 1 had tons of bundles that came out over the years. Are people just upset that they created an in game currency to make these purchases as opposed to the first one where they were through the platforms store front?

StereoVsn

Oh, so $.10 bought them? No wonder it's shoving MTX in. Tencent gaming revenue in China got cut quite a bit by variety of regulations so they are looking for money outside PRC now.

As far as we understand, a big part of the frustration stems from the pricing of the bundles and the resulting leftover DL Points.

No, Techland, you fucking morons. The "frustration" stems from the fact a fucking single player game has predatory microtransactions to begin with.

Stop pretending that you don't hear this and brainwashing people into believing that everyone's asking for a lower pricing model.

Virex

Banned
Step 2: Not a reasonable MTX - but a step over the line MTX, using the well worn idea of forcing players to buy more than they have to to get what they want.
Step 4: Apologies to the players and act like this is the first time an MTX has ever been invented and show you are learning from your mistake.
Step 5: Appease the player base by taking on their suggestions (suggestions the company has already planned for months ago)
Step 8: Company now has MTX's in the game they originally planned with players on your side.
They are already at it

aa0zvaifj2nb1.jpg

in82jaifj2nb1.jpg

Digfox

I don’t understand what people are upset about. Dying Light 1 had tons of bundles that came out over the years. Are people just upset that they created an in game currency to make these purchases as opposed to the first one where they were through the platforms store front?

I think it's more the worry about what's coming rather than just the fact that made up currencies you can buy are anti-consumer. DL2 didn't land that well with the fans of the first one who loved the original and the ton of content it had added over the 7 or so years it was their focus. And this is mostly a single-player offline game where I think cosmetic packs or actual content ala DLC is probably seen as a more fair business model.

Also there seems to have been some recent nerfs to the sequel which have wound people up.

Although I enjoyed the original I've never got around to buying the sequel. And I have to say this news doesn't make it likely I'll buy it.

Hot5pur

If MTX is implemented properly, ie. don't lock quality of life updated behind $$, then I don't mind.
People who want nicer skins can buy them.
Developer has more money to update the game for everyone, assuming that happens.
MTX can extend the life and support of a game, but things become rotten if the game suffers as a result of MTX.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I don't get why players spend money on this shit, it has to be an age thing cause if you are over 30/40 and doing this you need slapped or is it just me?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

Exactly correct.

spons

Gold Member
I didn't get the ending. I chose the military dudes throughout, and apparently got a shit ending. Choices matter or some bullcrap, but I just didn't like the final 20 minutes of the game. It's perfectly functional though.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Apparently the game is much better now with a few major fixes that addressed the combat and the parkour, as well as the night mode. Can be picked up on PC for like $20 on keysites and has really impressive raytracing. I heard story was meh but gameplay and visuals are better than the first.

laynelane

It's disappointing to see yet another company go the way of their own virtual currency. I've never bought that and I never will, but it's worrying to see so many using this scummy tactic.

xrnzaaas

Still can't get over how much better the first game was.
It definitely was. The city, the atmosphere, the music, the focus on zombies(!), the nights being scary, the protagonist... it was all so much better. I've finished DL1 three times and I really struggled to be done with a single playthrough of DL2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom