• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) | OT | Hey Dude, This Is NO Cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching the 3D featurette on youtube, I see why I'm so drawn to the cg/designs/look of this film. It's the wide shots and the fact that most, if not all, of the characters' bodies are in frame. It emphasises their detail, animations, and personalities and feels like I can reach out and grab them to play with them.

Penguin

Back from a screening

Really surprised how much I dug the film

It has its flaws, but overall was a heck of a ride

What a swerve Bronson

2mesohv.gif

Sanjuro, the elevator scene that hit the web... is that a shortened version of what's in the film? I noticed the editing was a bit iffy and there was a lack of headbanging as seen in the tv spots. Please tell me they didn't cut that.

Sanjuro

Sanjuro, the elevator scene that hit the web... is that a shortened version of what's in the film? I noticed the editing was a bit iffy and there was a lack of headbanging as seen in the tv spots. Please tell me they didn't cut that.

Yeah. That initial animation is not used.

Sanjuro

I agree with pretty much everything in that previous review other than the Michael Bay comments.

I'm also quite certain most people have no idea what a Michael Bay film is any longer when applying it to other theatrical releases.

Experien

So is the 3D good on this or no?

You know, it wasn't amazing like Prometheus & Amazing Spidey 2, but I found it better than most/all Marvel movies...especially the intro narratives in comic forms. The 3D there looks just fabulous! I am probably going to see it again in 3D unless my gf doesn't want to.

Experien

It's a tough thing to compare since older films get shortchanged

But... none of the Turtles movies are above 40% so its kind of inline with the franchise

I don't think you can trust these reviewers with horror movies and popcorn flicks. They'd over analyze dirt if they could. This is a fun popcorn, action flick. It doesn't have a deep story but rarely does Turtles ever do. You watch it for a fun time and that what the film is.

JimiNutz

Banned
I've gone from hating everything I'd seen/heard about this movie, to utter excitement to the point that I'm trying to round up all my friends to go see it with me tomorrow.
Can't wait.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
20% on rotten tomatoes...should we be worried, or should I be worried about going out tomorrow evening with my wife to see it? We both grew up as kids with these iconic figures...

Sanjuro

Well I look real stupid at saying 60/65 was possible now :p

Should've looked at the other ratings for the Turtles films first

Eh, predicting a Rotten Tomatoes score isn't something to be proud of anyway. The fact this is panned yet somehow Hercules was "fresh" kind of says more about the site than a lone film's result.

Experien

20% on rotten tomatoes...should we be worried, or should I be worried about going out tomorrow evening with my wife to see it? We both grew up as kids with these iconic figures...

I grew up with this show as a kid and saw all the movies in theaters. I enjoyed the animated TMNT movie and think the current Nick TMNT cartoon is the best. This is a turtles movie. Go in for a fun popcorn time with sweet action (that you can see!).

RT description made me lol a bit:

"Neither entertaining enough to recommend nor remarkably awful, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles may bear the distinction of being the dullest movie ever made about talking bipedal reptiles."

Forbes review seems to confirm some fears.

With talk this week about how Guardians of the Galaxy represents some kind of “post-plot” blockbuster (I thought we liked movies about people and not things), here is an action entry with so much plot that character is barely an afterthought.

They spend much of the movie threatening or otherwise bullying April while Splinter (Tony Shalhoub, given some truly atrocious dialogue) is frankly a tyrannical would-be father figure. ...Michelangelo’s crush on April is aggressive to the point of being hostile.

Save for a cute bit in an elevator towards the end, we spend no time with the turtles just being together as friends and as family.

The rushed 100-minute picture spends too much time on plot that needlessly connects all of the main characters while leaving next-to-no time to actually build relationships. It has nothing to say and little entertainment value beyond arbitrary visceral action beats.

It sounds like a "The Amazing Spider Man" situation in terms of an unnecessarily and overly complicated plot.

Penguin

Sanjuro

I expected a bit of a mess with any film in the TMNT property. That being said, it was more enjoyable than anything in the new Spider-Man film. Except maybe the humans...standards though.

jett

D-Member
This is potentially the most rotten movie I've ever paid to see in theaters. Well, too late to back out now, already got my ticket for tonight. :p

It sounds like a "The Amazing Spider Man" situation in terms of an unnecessarily and overly complicated plot.

If its like ASM (both) it's very straightforward and easy to follow. I don't get that complaint. Both of those movies are... well there's nothing at all complicated about them.

Dead

well not really...yet
Forbes review seems to confirm some fears.

It's like that Tron Legacy, as that thread reminded me. A load of shit "story" that's there just for the pretense of actually appearing to be about something when in reality it's huge pile of nothing. Too many movies like this today, a lot of it coming from people like Orci, Kurtzman, Nolan, Abrams, Bay, etc. Part of why Guardians of the Galaxy was so good. Simple as fuck, yet executed extremely well.

kehs

Banned
What a great fucking movie.

Daylight fight scenes, funny, cut out most of the bullshit.

The Fox/Arnett explosion scene toward the end was great and hilarious.

Adam Blue

Just saw this...

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't carried by the Turtles at all. It starred a white girl and the main villain was a white guy. There was nothing to the Turtles. A few funny jokes, and that's all.

I could have just gone without seeing it. The trailer was everything.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
To someone who's seen the movie can I catch a PM or even just quick description on Mikey in this bad boy? How's he played with the laughs.. how do his fight scenes work out ? all that shtuffs..

Always loved how he was the youngest sometimes smallest looking one but was a fucking beast when it came down to the punch n kicks. Right up there with Raph says 12 year old me :)

Probably won't be able to go see it over this weekend and I need some kind of fix.

Gorillaz

Saw it earlier today, didn't want to but I had a dude that helped me out in a big way lately so I figured fuck it, why not

Spoiler thread going up tomorrow I assume?

edit: well I'll give a "general" overview.....it was "ok" went by fast actually especially them introducing the turtles to us. Fox felt honestly unneeded in this. I mean some could say the same in transformers but this really felt like a waste to have her in.

Action scenes were actually visible, like I can see the fights actually happening, somebody must have told Bay to choreograph that shit for once, or maybe it was the fact they had full bodies doing the fighting and not big robots.

I saw it for 6 bucks on campus.....would not honestly pay over 7/8 to see this tho. If your paying 10+ my prayers go to you and your wallet.

jett

D-Member
Sanjuro lied, people died.

MEGAN FOX ABSOLUTELY IS THE MAIN CHARACTER OF THIS PIECE OF SHIT

Anyone who says otherwise is a goddamn liar. This movie is fucking garbage of the smelliest order.

For weeks I've been hopeful this could be decent, a good time, not even as a regular movie, but just a good TMNT movie, by TMNT standards. Well, let me tell you something. The movie starts off with Megan Fox... And it carries with Megan Fox for 20 minutes without a single glimpse at the turtles. Megan fucking Fox. MEGAN FUCKING FOX. The whole plot revolves around Apirl O'Neil, the characters revolve around Apirl O'Neil, the turtles revolve around April O'Neil, their entire origin revolves around April O'Neil. Megan Fox has the most screen time by far. Oh and guess what happens during the final fight between the turtles and the Shredder? You guessed it, it cuts between a scene with Megan Fox doing who gives a fuck. And guess who gives Shredder the final blow? That's right.

Megan fucking Fox. Fuck this movie. It's sad, really. It's terrible for reasons that have little to do with the turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom