• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) | OT | Hey Dude, This Is NO Cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
Screenshots from the new 3DS movie tie-in game confirm that Sacks not only WAS shredder but that he was April's father at some point, but they changed it. The game was not changed to reflect the alteration. Either they did not have time or it was overlooked?

BoZw5Vo.jpg

Yuterald

Saw it last night with my brother. We had a lot of fun. We were laughing for a good part of the film (mostly AT the movie though due to the dialogue/script). Aside from the Turtles, most of the acting was SO bad. This was the first time I ever willingly sat through a film starring Megan Fox and HOLY SHIT is she insufferable! There was this scene early on where she returned to her apartment to tell her friend that the "scoop" she's been trying to dig up regarding the foot clan and the "vigilantes" was real...oh my god, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was sinking really low in my seat at that point, ha! God damn is she like the worst actress ever! I think if Megan Fox was completely removed from the film/script I would have thought much higher of this adaptation.

The action scenes were great though and when the turtles were on screen I felt like they got equal share of the camera. The turtles themselves started to grow on me over the course of the film and I actually ended up liking their designs/personalities (or what little personality was shown). I will echo the sentiment though that the move was full throttle "go, go go!" after a certain point and that the bonding wasn't nearly as believable or warm as the original. Also, I always felt like the first two movies represented New York City well, but in this movie it felt like it could have taken place in any other city. For a moment I forgot it took place in NYC. Like, what the fuck was up with that crazy snow mountain scene? Are there really mountains that high in up state New York, lol!?

Regarding being respectful to the source material, etc. I don't know, I've reached a point in my life where I can divorce myself from everything and just look at things for what they are. TMNT was a significant part of my childhood, but I'm not going to rant and rave that the "directors/producers have ruined my childhood!". This is for a new generation and I'm clearly not the target audience anymore, so for me it was just fun to watch for the sake of watching. I mean, behind me there were these young kids with their parents and before the movie the father was asking his boy, "Who's your favorite turtle?" and the kid was yelling, "Raph!". That little dude was majorly psyched about seeing his favorite turtle on the big screen, just as I was back in the day. Granted, I'd still like to think that my generation grew up with the better movie/culture/messages, but for that kid, who knows, maybe this will be nostalgic to him one day, I don't know.

It's funny, I keep seeing people say, "Just go watch Guardians of the Galaxy for a second time". Well, you know what, I have like ZERO interest in that movie nor do I have any attachment to Marvel and its universe/characters. I didn't grow up with that stuff, but I grew up with the Turtles. Although, I will say that I will probably never watch this movie ever again (unlike the original which I can still pop in and enjoy). It was the ultimate "one off", but honestly, that's just the sign of the times. Without going into a "I'm jaded and cynical" rant, everything's just so disposable today, including this movie. It was in one ear out the other, which is unfortunate, but that's just the reality of things. I consumed this movie as fast as I consumed my movie nachos and I'll most likely flush both of them out of my system today and move on.

kehs

Banned
Screenshots from the new 3DS movie tie-in game confirm that Sacks not only WAS shredder but that he was April's father at some point, but they changed it. The game was not changed to reflect the alteration. Either they did not have time or it was overlooked?

BoZw5Vo.jpg

Maybe her father and sachs were lovers?

jett

D-Member

BoZw5Vo.jpg

Yep, Sachs was supposed to be Shredder, Fichtner himself confirmed it last year. A change that came with the reshoots, I guess. The whole father thing though, sheesh, the screenwriters really wanted to connect April with every single thing that goes on in the movie.

Yep, Sachs was supposed to be Shredder, Fichtner himself confirmed it last year. A change that came with the reshoots, I guess. The whole father thing though, sheesh, the screenwriters really wanted to connect April with every single fucking that goes on in the movie.

Yeah, I feel like that's apparent in the finale with the very tacked on secondary fight. It felt out of place.

It also would explain the necessity of April being there in the finale for the Shredder fight

kehs

Banned
Yeah, I feel like that's apparent in the finale with the very tacked on secondary fight. It felt out of place.

It also would explain the necessity of April being there in the finale for the Shredder fight

Who else can kick shredder in the face?

zzNIThS.gif

Alucard

Banned
Saw it last night with my brother. We had a lot of fun. We were laughing for a good part of the film (mostly AT the movie though due to the dialogue/script). Aside from the Turtles, most of the acting was SO bad. This was the first time I ever willingly sat through a film starring Megan Fox and HOLY SHIT is she insufferable! There was this scene early on where she returned to her apartment to tell her friend that the "scoop" she's been trying to dig up regarding the foot clan and the "vigilantes" was real...oh my god, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was sinking really low in my seat at that point, ha! God damn is she like the worst actress ever! I think if Megan Fox was completely removed from the film/script I would have thought much higher of this adaptation.

The action scenes were great though and when the turtles were on screen I felt like they got equal share of the camera. The turtles themselves started to grow on me over the course of the film and I actually ended up liking their designs/personalities (or what little personality was shown). I will echo the sentiment though that the move was full throttle "go, go go!" after a certain point and that the bonding wasn't nearly as believable or warm as the original. Also, I always felt like the first two movies represented New York City well, but in this movie it felt like it could have taken place in any other city. For a moment I forgot it took place in NYC. Like, what the fuck was up with that crazy snow mountain scene? Are there really mountains that high in up state New York, lol!?

Regarding being respectful to the source material, etc. I don't know, I've reached a point in my life where I can divorce myself from everything and just look at things for what they are. TMNT was a significant part of my childhood, but I'm not going to rant and rave that the "directors/producers have ruined my childhood!". This is for a new generation and I'm clearly not the target audience anymore, so for me it was just fun to watch for the sake of watching. I mean, behind me there were these young kids with their parents and before the movie the father was asking his boy, "Who's your favorite turtle?" and the kid was yelling, "Raph!". That little dude was majorly psyched about seeing his favorite turtle on the big screen, just as I was back in the day. Granted, I'd still like to think that my generation grew up with the better movie/culture/messages, but for that kid, who knows, maybe this will be nostalgic to him one day, I don't know.

It's funny, I keep seeing people say, "Just go watch Guardians of the Galaxy for a second time". Well, you know what, I have like ZERO interest in that movie nor do I have any attachment to Marvel and its universe/characters. I didn't grow up with that stuff, but I grew up with the Turtles. Although, I will say that I will probably never watch this movie ever again (unlike the original which I can still pop in and enjoy). It was the ultimate "one off", but honestly, that's just the sign of the times. Without going into a "I'm jaded and cynical" rant, everything's just so disposable today, including this movie. It was in one ear out the other, which is unfortunate, but that's just the reality of things. I consumed this movie as fast as I consumed my movie nachos and I'll most likely flush both of them out of my system today and move on.

I haven't seen the movie, but I enjoyed reading your post. I agree about many things being disposable these days, including entertainment. You have to be picky if you just want to look for the things that actually have meaning or which will last the test of time.

This movie isn't for me. I LOVED the Ninja Turtles as a kid, but I'm now 33 years old with a family, and I have no interest in this flick because it doesn't resemble the aesthetic or vibe of what I associate with the TMNT of my youth, and I honestly don't think I'm into that kind of storytelling/humour as much anymore either. It had a time and place in my life, but I've moved on.

That said, Guardians of the Galaxy is fantastic. Just saw it last night and had a blast. I laughed, I cried, I went on an insane space fantasy adventure. Aw yeah.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yep, Sachs was supposed to be Shredder, Fichtner himself confirmed it last year. A change that came with the reshoots, I guess. The whole father thing though, sheesh, the screenwriters really wanted to connect April with every single thing that goes on in the movie.

I am of the opinion that almost all of the changes to the storyline/origins were for the worse, but it could have been A WHOLE LOT WORSE if april's dad, sachs and shredder were ALL the same person.

I am thankful they made at least a few good choices along the way, even if they were so late in the game that their eraser marks are showing.

I was thinking about writing up a review but it's going to come off overwhelmingly against a lot of things in the film and i hate being a negative nancy. So I will list a few things that I did like (with pepperings of things I didn't):
- personality and relationship between the turtles. voices were mostly good (especially mikey), jokes were good, wish we had more time with them just relating to one another so we got more of an idea for their characters but all the basic stuff you'd expect from these four are on display and executed well.
- shredder's armor and overall look. it's not what i'd have preferred (would rather a lean, super badass martial artist with metal blades in key places, not just all over), but it looked really good and menacing. I guess what I want to know is... why would he have this armor? It's not like he's fighting foes like the turtles all the time, these are the very first ones. Why would he ever need this prior to them entering the picture?
- splinter's battles. anytime he was fighting it looked wonderful, everything i'd want from a cgi splinter fight ... sadly I can't say the same about the design (among the very worst for splinter ever) or the voice... let alone the backstory (uuuuugh, they totally stripped ALL of the Japanese connections from their background, I hate it)
- kid turtle sequences. rarely in the franchise do we get a peak at the pre-teen lives of the turtles. this movie explores that and I really dug that they did. in some iterations of the turtles they don't even start off as kids after mutating which I always found weird.
- sewer lair, but i'll admit it's hard to mess that up too much. just, again, wish we had more sequences where we got to look around it before it was destroyed
- snow chase. look... you can point out dozens of things in this scene that are totally wrong from a physics POV, there's no way it would have played out anything like that. the way the turtles were sliding around on their shells seemed very unnatural. i've ridden my share of sleds in the day, okay? but it was still tense and exciting, fun to experience.

most other aspects of the film i had a lot of problems with. does not hold a candle to the 1990 film.

Your doing yourself a huge disservice missing Guardians. It's not a good Marvel movie it's just a great sci fi movie. I know nothing about the comics and I mean nothing I had never heard of them before seeing the movie. I'm also not the biggest marvel fan in general because they all start feeling the same but Guardians of the Galaxy feels completely seperated from the Marvel line up. It's just a great great movie

I'll be watching the Bay turtles movie tonight, I'll buy another ticket for the purge anarchy and just sneak into the Bay Turtles movie, i have no plans to support that dudes habit, but i have to see for myself what he's done.

Purge Ananchy is awesome. It's basically if the Punisher was in Escape from LA.
He would be an excellent punisher..dude made the movie for me, him and the dude with god scribbled on his forhead only because of how odd he looked before the "reveal".

Yuterald

I haven't seen the movie, but I enjoyed reading your post. I agree about many things being disposable these days, including entertainment. You have to be picky if you just want to look for the things that actually have meaning or which will last the test of time.

This movie isn't for me. I LOVED the Ninja Turtles as a kid, but I'm now 33 years old with a family, and I have no interest in this flick because it doesn't resemble the aesthetic or vibe of what I associate with the TMNT of my youth, and I honestly don't think I'm into that kind of storytelling/humour as much anymore either. It had a time and place in my life, but I've moved on.

That said, Guardians of the Galaxy is fantastic. Just saw it last night and had a blast. I laughed, I cried, I went on an insane space fantasy adventure. Aw yeah.

Thanks. I hear ya, man. I'm 28 and my brother is a year older than me and we both grew up with the same Turtles too. In no way did this movie's storytelling/humor resonate with me (aside from being so bad at times that it was funny), but as I said, I took it for what it was worth and we enjoyed ourselves poking fun at the questionable acting and plot scenarios.

Your doing yourself a huge disservice missing Guardians. It's not a good Marvel movie it's just a great sci fi movie. I know nothing about the comics and I mean nothing I had never heard of them before seeing the movie. I'm also not the biggest marvel fan in general because they all start feeling the same but Guardians of the Galaxy feels completely seperated from the Marvel line up. It's just a great great movie

Yeah, I don't know, I'm sure it's a "good" movie on its own, but I just feel so incredibly indifferent about it when I see trailers for it and such.

MattyG

Banned
I saw it last night and actually enjoyed it quite a bit. There were a few things that sucked like Megan Fox's performance and a kind of all over the place script, but everything else was handled pretty well.

Alucard

Banned
I've only had a chance to see two big movies this summer, X-Men and Guardians, and I loved both of them. Top shelf comic book fare.

Btw, Guardians of the Galaxy is not sci-fi...it's space fantasy. At least in my eyes, though it does blur genres just a little bit.

I've only had a chance to see two big movies this summer, X-Men and Guardians, and I loved both of them. Top shelf comic book fare.

Btw, Guardians of the Galaxy is not sci-fi...it's space fantasy. At least in my eyes, though it does blur genres just a little bit.

Yeah space fantasy is more accurate

You know, I'd have to see Guardians again with that description in mind. Because it failed at being an action romp with worthless villains/casting. But maybe thinking of it as a fantasy would fare better with me. Afterall, Tim Curry in Legend (my favorite fantasy film) didn't do much but still imposed. It's too bad Nebula was such a waste though, too.

Petrae

Right there with you on Guardians. I can't be bothered to spend money on it because I'm just not interested-- and with personal Marvel/comic book movie burnout, seeing the Marvel name is much like a warning bell.

As for TMNT, my passing interest comes from nostalgia, and not from the comic source material. The new turtle design (Shrek Jr.) was off-putting, Michael Bay's involvement made me cringe, and Megan Fox... ick. I can't be bothered to spend money on this film, either; I know that I'm not its target audience and am better served watching the TMNT material that I know I enjoy.

Kyzon

So I went to see Lucy last night at the drive in (second time being there in 2 nights lol). They had to turn people away since the Turtles lot was packed. I've never seen so many people up there other than during free movie night.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Ya know, I would have actually been fine with Fitchner being Shredder rather than the way he was handled in the final film. Sachs grows up in Japan, develops an affinity for the culture and dons the Shredder armor ala Iron Man and fights the Turtles.

Also, anyone else notice the sexual tension between April and Vern? Will Arnett almost seems like a middle age version of Shia LaBoeuf.

mreddie

For those who liked Turtles, good for you. Basically you guys were me after Age of Extinction. Watching a good dumb movie. Again, I don't fault you for liking this, they got the Turtles right and there's good action but unlike Age, Fox and Arnett were eh to me. Story wasn't that good. It felt unfulfilling than Age or Purge 2.

By the way, best Summer movie was Edge of Tomorrow.

Ya know, I would have actually been fine with Fitchner being Shredder rather than the way he was handled in the final film. Sachs grows up in Japan, develops an affinity for the culture and dons the Shredder armor ala Iron Man and fights the Turtles.

Also, anyone else notice the sexual tension between April and Vern? Will Arnett almost seems like a middle age version of Shia LaBoeuf.

Ya, Sachs would've honestly been a decent fakeout Shredder.

Notice? Vern's so thirsty that if him and Mikey fell into the Pacific Ocean it would be empty by the end of the day

tookhster

Saw it and had a blast with my buddies, and I thought I was going to hate it based on reviews. I loved GotG, but I have to say I enjoyed this more because I was more attached to the turtles. Is it the better movie? No. But I'd be lying if I told you we had more fun watching GotG over TMNT. Action scenes were great and I thought the CG on Splinter and even Shredder looked amazing.

It's sad to see how many people, even in this very thread, think that Bay actually directed this. Even as a "producer", I'd bet he didn't have jack shit to do with this movie besides having his name on the thing. I've seen every Bay film ever made and this didn't feel like a Bay film at all to me. Yet almost every review I see is just shitting on Bay and the cast over and over again, like the Chris Stuckman one posted earlier.

As expected, Megan Fox was terrible in this movie and ironically she was probably harder to believe than the CGI turtles themselves, as in I was cringing hard whenever she said a word. Will was not as bad as others have said but I will not miss him if this ever gets a sequel.

I just hope people don't take Rotten Tomatoes seriously and give this a chance - mainly parents of kids who might be interested in this flick. Despite all the human BS, it still has that turtle charm and the fart jokes that kids will love. There are also quite a few lighthearted moments, like that whole "angel" thing. They don't get deep into all that stuff but I still like those touches. I honestly think that if you go into this movie with an open mind, forgetting about the redesigns, forgetting it has anything to do with Bay, you will find a decent, fun flick in it.

Rootbeer

Banned
For those who liked Turtles, good for you. Basically you guys were me after Age of Extinction. Watching a good dumb movie. Again, I don't fault you for liking this, they got the Turtles right and there's good action but unlike Age, Fox and Arnett were eh to me. Story wasn't that good. It felt unfulfilling than Age or Purge 2.

By the way, best Summer movie was Edge of Tomorrow.

haven't seen Puge 2 (or even Purge 1) but I've seen AoE and while I am a way huger fan of TMNT than Tranformers I think AoE was stronger in a lot of ways. The first, say, hour of AoE with all the family stuff is pretty good. Definitely felt like there was more character development than what the turtles got. And while shredder is a more interesting baddie than what we got in AoE, at least the motivations for the ones in AoE felt compelling to me.

I feel indifferent to the idea of a sequel to this TMNT film. Honestly how many "meh" films have had sequels that improved on the first? (don't say batman begins... you'll start a shit storm :p FWIW I don't feel that way about Begins but it's a POV you hear often)

jett

D-Member
I feel indifferent to the idea of a sequel to this TMNT film. Honestly how many "meh" films have had sequels that improved on the first? (don't say batman begins... you'll start a shit storm :p FWIW I don't feel that way about Begins but it's a POV you hear often)

I thought Expendables 1 was kinda crap, but thoroughly enjoyed EX2. Looking at the Platinum Dunes history though, I don't foresee any improvements made to potential TMNT sequels. They will probably be more Platinum Dunes messes. That has to be one of the worst if not the worst high profile production company around. I don't understand how they landed TMNT, or why Nickelodeon associated with them in the first place.

Alucard

Banned
Since the original Turtles TV show in the 80s/early 90s, how many TMNT shows have been made? Two or three? I feel like they've gone through three more iterations. Am I wrong on that? I remember liking the 2003/2004 show a bit. The one that still used 2D animation.

Sanjuro

Since the original Turtles TV show in the 80s/early 90s, how many TMNT shows have been made? Two or three? I feel like they've gone through three more iterations. Am I wrong on that? I remember liking the 2003/2004 show a bit. The one that still used 2D animation.

Original Cartoon Series (1987-1996)
Next Mutation (1997-1998)
Second Cartoon Series (2003-2009)
Third Cartoon Series (2012-ongoing)

Its not bad. I like when the turtles r on screen. The main plot drive at the middle was kinda stupid
we have this virus for years n we can finally release it because of antidote. Why not just make a new virus

kodecraft

I agree with your post, but don't knock Guardians of the Galaxy, it's the MOST fun I had all Summer. Trumps TMNT.

EL CUCO

Just finished watching the movie. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Maybe it's because I was mentally prepared for a shit story line. Other than that, the Turtles were great. They basically saved the movie from being a train wreck.

The movie starts off kinda slow but picks up at about the 30min mark. My kids (4 and 6) loved it.

Will watch again
on Blu-ray

Really disliked the movie. Completely uninspired. No attempt to build up any of the characters. Nonsensical plot with characters making stupid decisions.
Why doesn't April show her boss the photo, especially when she shows it to Sacks in the next scene?
. Also disliked the attempt to make it everything about the humans involved, just like in Transformers 4. People are willing to accept the fantastic in movies, no reason to keep trying to push in uninteresting characters into the action just to "give the audience someone to root for".

The only things that might be considered non-negatives.

1)
The Splinter vs Shredder fight
2) Shredder's suit.
3) It isn't as bad as Transformers 4.

ezekial45

Banned
I saw it too, I actually really enjoyed it. While I agree with most of the criticism, especially towards Megan Fox's acting, I was still pretty entertained. I liked that they actually did a lot more to differentiate the turtles aesthetically (unlike the previous cartoons and movies), each one looked totally unique from each other. But one thing I was pretty annoyed by were the Bay-esque camera work. I know they're trying to have that feel of the Transformers movies, but it just came off jarring to me. A movie shouldn't have that many sweeping camera shots and Dutch angles.

But anyway, I'm glad to see it's doing pretty well. It was a fun movie, and a lot of the kids in the theater loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom