• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teens React to Nintendo (NES)

Wait, I'm only 23 and my first console was the SNES. How old were some people if they're first console was a Sixth Gen console?

Well you are pretty rare exception. You were born same year as SNES released in US(if you are -91 like me). PS1 was the shit for most of people born early 90s and if we assume these guys are something like 6 years younger sixth gen is perfectly normal time for their gaming start.

mreddie

Nope, not watching it, the Game Boy one was enough for me.

c50fa02e18f2cb45359070fc9b586d2c.jpg

My 4 year old not only knows more about the NES, but is way better than these teenagers... We sure these videos aren't staged?

All this stuff is so stupid. Every time someone feigns (or justifies) ignorance of things because they were born after whatever it is, I cringe. "Who's Nirvana, I was born in 1995, lol"... piss off. The Beatles broke up well before I was born, too, it doesn't mean I never heard of them.

I don't think these videos are representative of kids in general, they're just representative of dumb kids with zero natural curiosity.

They should make a video called "Teens react to Abraham Lincoln" and it's just full of "who's THAT, haha, I was born in 1998! Why does he dress like that??"

LordGouda

My 4 year old not only knows more about the NES, but is way better than these teenagers... We sure these videos aren't staged?

Maybe not the reactions and their shitty playing, but most likely the whole "You'll need to blow the cartridge for it to work." It shouldn't have happened more than once to one teen, but to all of them? Staged as hell.

SamVonSam

Neo Member
I feel like telling everyone of the to put their hat on straight and then adjusting my pants before walking off.

Still, I can't stop chuckling over the "I don't LARP" comment to Dragon Warrior 3.

Mortemis

Banned
Man I'm the same age as most of them and I've never seen an NES in real life either, just pics and videos. I've played SMB tons of times though.

But look at how many said yes to knowing metroid. Nintendo listen.

Wait, I'm only 23 and my first console was the SNES. How old were some people if they're first console was a Sixth Gen console?

I'm 20, my first console was a Game Boy Color in late 2001, then an Xbox, which was promptly sold for a GameCube. After loving the GameCube I went back and bought an N64, but sixth gen was my first home console

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I never like these videos. They only seem to want to get people angry or to feel old.

The Punch-Out!! video, however, was very entertaining. A lot of them were able to figure the game out quickly, and learn as they went. Watching Mike Tyson thrash them was hilarious. They never saw it coming.

I love the one girl's comment: "Wait, how do you know the code?"

ARE YOU SOME SORT OF OMNISCIENT GAMING GOD?

All this stuff is so stupid. Every time someone feigns (or justifies) ignorance of things because they were born after whatever it is, I cringe. "Who's Nirvana, I was born in 1995, lol"... piss off. The Beatles broke up well before I was born, too, it doesn't mean I never heard of them.

I don't think these videos are representative of kids in general, they're just representative of dumb kids with zero natural curiosity.

They should make a video called "Teens react to Abraham Lincoln" and it's just full of "who's THAT, haha, I was born in 1998! Why does he dress like that??"

Oh come off it. They don't know what a NES is, they're not brain dead. Why would a person who has no interest in modern games know about ones from before they were born? It's not a format like VHS, or a band like the Beatles, or a historical figure like Lincoln. It's a game system, which yes, to a person who doesn't play games, is a foreign thing

I swear some of you people just type out angry things without thinking

Man I'm the same age as most of them and I've never seen an NES in real life either, just pics and videos. I've played SMB tons of times though.

Yeah, that was actually the most surprising thing in the video. I was expecting 5 at the most.

For the hell of it, I'm also 23 and my first console was a Genesis when I turned 5.

So like how did they "break" every single NES in such a way that was reproducible and only needed blowing. Also sucks that the blowing myth is kept (I thought it was inside the NES that was problem caused by things bending due to the silly cassette style loading it had).

I found it odd how they had a CRT here but for Punch-Out the teens were stuck playing on a (probably laggy) LCD.

I also found it sad how you could have an NES style iPhone case and not be aware of what it is referencing. I mean I don't think it is ironically pretty or anything.

I feel old but my older co-workers mock me for not playing on the Atari 2600. That said, the new designer's first console was the N64/Game Boy Color.

void666

Banned
I'm 35. My first console was an atari. Next one was the nes. I remember when the game boy was released. Spent endless hours playing tetris.

I'm old. And tired. Please goddess of death, take me.

I need to play punch out right now.

Mortemis

Banned
I'm 20, my first console was a Game Boy Color in late 2001, then an Xbox, which was promptly sold for a GameCube. After loving the GameCube I went back and bought an N64, but sixth gen was my first home console

19, and my first console was an N64, but by the time I got it the ps2 was already out and all I had for it was SM64 (the first game I can remember playing), Mario kart, and later on OOT. Got a GameCube a little later and put an enormous amount of time into it. I consider that what got me into gaming.

Teknoman

haha i honestly have never seen a gamecube or a dreamcast IRL before either. I had a PS1 (that was given to me from a cousin). By the time I even got into video games (I was 8 or 9), the Xbox 360 and PS3 were already released.

I guess I just never really thought about it. I'd probably be more aware if I had kids, but then again I guess it also has to do with whether or not you knew people with older family members that had the systems too. There is actually a younger crowd into retro games now though.

I know the Sonic fans are aware, they cant help it lol.

I wonder how younger wii u owners feel about Nes remix?

Lothar

Banned
Maybe not the reactions and their shitty playing, but most likely the whole "You'll need to blow the cartridge for it to work." It shouldn't have happened more than once to one teen, but to all of them? Staged as hell.

What? That's just how NES consoles work. My NES hasn't worked without blowing on the cartridges since probably 1992.

This.

Finebros. are absolutely wrong for trying to frame these videos as some sort of "sign of the times". They're getting the most stereotypical teens who are probably clueless about a lot of things and cherry-picking the most dumbfounded reactions. It's all in good fun but that's all it is. These videos don't represent anything.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

The Metroid brand had a pretty huge resurgence in the west from 2001-2008ish (thanks to the Prime trilogy). It was right up there with Mario and Zelda. So it's no surprise that children born in the 90s who grew up in the 2000s would recognize Metroid.

When the one kid asked "Has anyone beat the first level?" and the reply was "Everyone", for a second I thought he meant EVERYONE, EVER, as opposed to everyone who was reviewing it. What kind of a question is that?!

That was more heartening than the Game Boy vid, at least. There were a few who were really into it! They'd like the SNES even more... Though it makes me sad to think of gamer kids that've grown up without one :(

Mortemis

Banned
The Metroid brand had a pretty huge resurgence in the west from 2001-2008ish (thanks to the Prime trilogy). It was right up there with Mario and Zelda. So it's no surprise that children born in the 90s who grew up in the 2000s would recognize Metroid.

No doubt, I'm one of those kids, grew up playing metroid prime. All I'm saying is Nintendo needs to hurry the hell up. :/

Teknoman

As long as the next one is some sort of side scrolling exploration game with highly detailed graphics and a good soundtrack.

Oh come off it. They don't know what a NES is, they're not brain dead. Why would a person who has no interest in modern games know about ones from before they were born? It's not a format like VHS, or a band like the Beatles, or a historical figure like Lincoln. It's a game system, which yes, to a person who doesn't play games, is a foreign thing

I swear some of you people just type out angry things without thinking

Lincoln my have been an exaggeration (for comedic effect), but I think as sheer pop culture iconography goes, NES, The Beatles and VHS all carry close to the same modern day general awareness.

Lincoln my have been an exaggeration (for comedic effect), but I think as sheer pop culture iconography goes, NES, The Beatles and VHS all carry close to the same modern day general awareness.

If you're an old man, sure. But, blluntly, why would a fifteen year old who wasn't even born when DVD's came out know what a NES or VHS is? That's like expecting to know what an 8-track was if you grew up in the 90's.

No child born in the last five years will know what a VHS is, and nothing of value will be lost. Not to say that the NES isn't valuable, but c'mon, they're VHS tapes.

Hell, I was born in 1993 and I've never seen an 8-track. I know what it is, but I've never seen one.

Lothar

Banned
Yeah, I needed to use alcohol just for blowing in the cartridges to work sometimes.

A good trick I found in the late 90s is to put the game in, then jam another game in on top of it. I have no idea why that worked but it did.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Made me feel old as hell..... the punch out video was priceless ... they should add an older gamer to their series to show these kids how to get it done.

Made me feel old as hell..... the punch out video was priceless ... they should add an older gamer to their series to show these kids how to get it done.

I was actually pretty proud of the kids playing Punch-Out. People like to talk shit about how kids these days just want an easy ride and when a game gets hard they drop it, but they seemed to be legitimately enjoying the simple challenge

Top Bottom