• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

B7a owner here.
2 important discoveries i recently made that have me loving this tv much more now.

Playing HDR games on game mode, dynamic contrast on med gives game mode the punch and brightness of other modes without losing detail. Adjust hdr settings in each game you play. The low input lag of this mode has me getting more kills than I ever have!

When watching HDR movies, the first cinema mode, produces a significantly brighter and detailed hdr image than the 2nd cinema mode or technicolor with all settings same. Darker areas on technicolor or 2nd cinema mode obscure details whereas the first one does not. Its almost as if Active HDR only works on that mode or something...

Poppyseed

B7a owner here.
2 important discoveries i recently made that have me loving this tv much more now.

Playing HDR games on game mode, dynamic contrast on med gives game mode the punch and brightness of other modes without losing detail. Adjust hdr settings in each game you play. The low input lag of this mode has me getting more kills than I ever have!

When watching HDR movies, the first cinema mode, produces a significantly brighter and detailed hdr image than the 2nd cinema mode or technicolor with all settings same. Darker areas on technicolor or 2nd cinema mode obscure details whereas the first one does not. Its almost as if Active HDR only works on that mode or something...

I have the C7 (same image as the B7). First, Dynamic Contrast on Medium actually washes detail out in Game Mode. I've done extensive testing, and only setting to Low is acceptable. For example, the desert areas in Forza Horizon 3. The ground loses a lot of texture detail with Dynamic Contrast turned up beyond Low.

Second, the Cinema Home absolutely murders the highlights and over-exposes the image. You should be using Cinema User. Just because details are darker in Cinema User doesn't mean detail is obscured. Heck, you can crank brightness on any movie/game and see "more" things. Just because you can now see them doesn't mean your picture is "correct.

Anyway, hope this helps you achieve a better picture.

I thought I'd mention this from CES.

Sony demonstrated a prototype 8K, OLED, full spec HDR panel running with a peak brightness of 10,000 Nits.

It is a prototype, something to show the benefits of such a panel and to give them a head start on the technology needed for a panel like this using their X1 Ultimate processor. The cost would be ridiculous at the moment, I would love to see how it looks in person though. As they say in the AVS Forum video, it's built on technology that they started on years ago

That 85 inch panel isn't OLED, it's LED

I have the C7 (same image as the B7). First, Dynamic Contrast on Medium actually washes detail out in Game Mode. I've done extensive testing, and only setting to Low is acceptable. For example, the desert areas in Forza Horizon 3. The ground loses a lot of texture detail with Dynamic Contrast turned up beyond Low.

Second, the Cinema Home absolutely murders the highlights and over-exposes the image. You should be using Cinema User. Just because details are darker in Cinema User doesn't mean detail is obscured. Heck, you can crank brightness on any movie/game and see "more" things. Just because you can now see them doesn't mean your picture is "correct.

Anyway, hope this helps you achieve a better picture.
Ive been a tv enthuiast for many years and have owned a calibrated Kuro. I know when something looks good/bad. I appreciate your feedback but my experience is different than yours. My b7 only blows out highlights on standard not on cinema home. Its a much better picture with deep blacks and highlight detail preserved. I will try testing FH3 on medium but so far i havent lost any detail you speak of.

Poppyseed

Ive been a tv enthuiast for many years and have owned a calibrated Kuro. I know when something looks good/bad. I appreciate your feedback but my experience is different than yours. My b7 only blows out highlights on standard not on cinema home. Its a much better picture with deep blacks and highlight detail preserved. I will try testing FH3 on medium but so far i havent lost any detail you speak of.

That's fine. What looks good to you looks good to you. I do suggest spending some time on the AVS boards, though. You'll get some objective info from calibrations and tools that may change your mind!

Last edited:
Have had my C7 for almost 2 weeks now, fantastic TV. It's definitely not as bright as my previous ks8000 but the other benefits outweigh this.
I also feel Cinema home washes out the picture, Inky blacks turn grey black

J-Rzez

Minor changes across the boards for TVs as I predicted. No HDMI 2.1, but some retroactives from the 2.1 spec available in the sets, which nothing is stopping them from updating sets over the last two years to do if they have the processing power to do so.

So, guessing it will be:
Best in Class - LG x8 OLEDs, Sony A8F (NA market)
Best premium Go-To - Sony 900F
Best budget - TCL (they increased zones even)

Will have to wait for tests naturally, but just going off of specs for now and first hand reports. Samsung seems to maybe have brought itself out of the hole from 2017, but people said they're still lacking overall.

J-Rzez

What's up with the lack of HDMI 2.1???

Like I said before, spec hit too late. Blame the HDMI group for that one. They finalized the spec in Nov/Dec, so too late for TV makers to utilize. Good and bad news for OLED lovers potentially, either we'll get the new advanced OLED panels from LG in 2019, or you'll have the HDMI 2.1 spec but then be thinking maybe you should wait yet another year until 2020 for the next gen OLED manu lines.

Been super busy at work, any new mid range/budget 65" plus tv's worth taking a look at from ces?

Sony 900F most likely for mid range. Budget, new TCL is coming in a 65" with more zones.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

Have had my C7 for almost 2 weeks now, fantastic TV. It's definitely not as bright as my previous ks8000 but the other benefits outweigh this.
I also feel Cinema home washes out the picture, Inky blacks turn grey black

I came from the KS8000, too. C7 is a joy by comparison. Gaming on it is bliss with that pixel response time.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I will say that I am hopelessly out of the loop but I went to BB yesterday and I was shocked that the 65 inch 4k OLEDS TVs were still $2000+. Seems the prices haven't dropped at all, or maybe I am crazy??

Are there any 65inch low latency 4k HDR gaming TVs for around $1000? What makes this TV worth $2600? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAYM1TP/?tag=neogaf0e-20 If its just black levels I can go cheaper as long as their is no motion blurring or controller lag.

Was interested in that Nvidia 65 inch monitor thing but, damn, is that thing going to be affordable by mere mortals?

We are buying a house soon and I have been given the go ahead to shop for a new tv by the boss (had to wait while we saved for home buying monies!). Looking at the OLED and QLED (is QLED OLED?) tvs is a little disheartening. Seems the gulf in quality is insanely high as is the gulf in price from traditional LCD.

What I need is a 55-65inch TV for Gaming only (dont care about how good movies look) that does 4k, HDR, and with lowest input lag possible. I am used to gaming on computer monitors (Gsync) so not having amazing black levels and the absolutely best color is normal to me. As long as it is an upgrade to my $500 vizo walmart specials I will be happy with blacks and color. I will be using this with ps4, pc and future consoles.

It seems the samsung Q7 series might be my best bet since it has the lowest 4k + HDR input lag of any TV I am seeing on rtings.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I'd argue that 65 inch OLEDs have dropped considerably in price. Remember, just 2-3 years ago they used to cost over $5k.
I must be crazy then :p. What do you think of the Q7s? Guess I am going to be deciding between the 2018 versions of it and the C7. Both have 4k+HDR input latencies around 21ms. Is there any hope for sub 20ms latency ever on tvs?

Last edited:
I will say that I am hopelessly out of the loop but I went to BB yesterday and I was shocked that the 65 inch 4k OLEDS TVs were still $2000+. Seems the prices haven't dropped at all, or maybe I am crazy??

Are there any 65inch low latency 4k HDR gaming TVs for around $1000? What makes this TV worth $2600? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAYM1TP/?tag=neogaf0e-20 If its just black levels I can go cheaper as long as their is no motion blurring or controller lag.

Was interested in that Nvidia 65 inch monitor thing but, damn, is that thing going to be affordable by mere mortals?

We are buying a house soon and I have been given the go ahead to shop for a new tv by the boss (had to wait while we saved for home buying monies!). Looking at the OLED and QLED (is QLED OLED?) tvs is a little disheartening. Seems the gulf in quality is insanely high as is the gulf in price from traditional LCD.

What I need is a 55-65inch TV for Gaming only (dont care about how good movies look) that does 4k, HDR, and with lowest input lag possible. I am used to gaming on computer monitors (Gsync) so not having amazing black levels and the absolutely best color is normal to me. As long as it is an upgrade to my $500 vizo walmart specials I will be happy with blacks and color. I will be using this with ps4, pc and future consoles.

It seems the samsung Q7 series might be my best bet since it has the lowest 4k + HDR input lag of any TV I am seeing on rtings.

Dude, unless you're a true competitive gamer (as in, getting paid for that shit) there's really no point in looking at another large screen tv for gaming (and 60 or 65 is way too big for that anyway). You won't really understand the difference until you sit down and test some of your favorite games vs other 'traditional' lcds. The cost difference over a competent led really isn't drastic enough to justify cheaping out. If you can get the best tv ever made in a size that will satisfy anyone not wanting to install a real home theater in their house, all for less than $2k, why wouldn't you buy one? Seriously, take advantage of one of the numerous deals like the below:

https://slickdeals.net/f/11188191-c...-oled-hdtv-2050-until-3-30pm-pst-free-s-h?v=1

Combine with credit card price protection, price match to a sketchy site that you'd never actually buy from like Joe's A.V and get it for $1600 delivered to your door. I got a 55 B6 doing this last for $1050 (and some people got it for even less)

The only LED that can compare is the Sony Z9D but its input lag was 10ms worse than the 2016 OLEDs and 20 worse than the '17s

Last edited:
Was there ever a firmware fix for the E6/C6 to address the super dark/dim hdr game mode? I've been playing with dynamic contrast on as its the only way to make it usable, even though it makes the colors inaccurate

ABeezy1388

I bought the 65" B7A on BF weekend, got a great hook up. I moved into my new place this weekend so I havent opened it until just the other day. I finally turned it on for about 15 minutes yesterday. Haven't messed with any settings or anything yet. Just checked out some basic cable, and WOW!!!!! AMAZING.

Little tip for Comcast people... their boxes default to 720P. You have to yourself go to your settings on each box and then change the resolution to 1080P. I didn't even get a chance to do that yet and this TV was still incredible at 720 - basic cable. I cant wait to configure it and game/movie watch on it. If basic cable looks good I can only imagine what I am in store for :p

Pasedo

Is it just me but do others think lcd screens look better because of their brightness. I just think the picture is punchier especially on qled based lcd screens - probably cos of their high brightness levels. My brother bought an oled and I just find it too dull. Guess everyone is different.

BumRush

Is it just me but do others think lcd screens look better because of their brightness. I just think the picture is punchier especially on qled based lcd screens - probably cos of their high brightness levels. My brother bought an oled and I just find it too dull. Guess everyone is different.

In a VERY bright room, that may be true. But side by side under - what would be considered normal viewing conditions - OLED has better PQ in my opinion.

Top Bottom