• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Nobo-ty

Neo Member
So as I’ve said, I’ve been frustrated in looking for a future purchase of a 4K TV, along with a Apple TV 4K (iTunes movie purchases got upgraded to 4K HDR might as well as take advantage of that), and maybe a decent or very good soundbar. Problem is, I don’t want to spend over $3,000 on all of this. I’m far too paranoid about OLED since I’ll be playing games/retro games that have a lot of stationary menus/heatlh bars/maps etc. that could potentially burn in (I play games A WHILE when I do play). Not to mention this would also act as a monitor for PC gaming as well. About 80% of this TV’s time is going to go towards gaming and about 20% for movies.

I’m leaning towards LG’s 2017 nano cell LED TV, or more than likely the upcoming TCL 65” since TCL will be more competitively priced and their prior TV had low input lag. I’m batting around maybe getting the LG soundbar SJ9 since that seems to be the best other than a JBL 4K bar I found that had 4 extra HDMI inputs in it (I don’t think the SJ9 even has that other than maybe two). Any thoughts on this?

I really wish that upcoming DELL short throw 4K laser projector was a little cheaper, I’d maybe go for that since this would be mostly in my basement/entertainment room.

J-Rzez

You just have to justify if you want low input lag with lower picture quality, or slightly higher input lag with better picture quality. The price of the "nano-cell" LGs is a rip off, they look pretty bad compared to your Sony models in that range, the 850 and especially poor against the 900e. The ONLY thing the LG Super UHDs have going for them is the low input lag, that's it, the picture is really poor compared to Sony, and even Samsung's offerings for around the same price. The TCL is a great value, but, it can have some major uniformity/lighting issues. Maybe the 2018 will address this. OLED is still king. No burn in on my A1E and old EF9500, despite using it with my PC, and my wife using it with dumb stations with watermarks.

I game on an B6 (2016 lowest input lag oled model ~26-28ms) mainly but just picked up a tcl 43s405. It’s the cheaper, non local dimmed model that doesn’t have nearly the picture quality of the tcl p series. Gloriously low input lag and a balanced, non enhanced image make it a fantastic pc monitor/secondary gaming tv. If the p series is better all around (hugely improved contrast but same bad viewing angle and maybe uniformity?) it’s a great choice. Then again, the 2017 OLEDs now come within 5ms input lag wise. Having less than 1 frame of lag though has been touted as the ‘magic number’ where most people find the input lag imperceptible. Good enough even for competitive gaming. We’re talking 14ms vs 19, so extremely responsive either way

Last edited:

Nobo-ty

Neo Member
You just have to justify if you want low input lag with lower picture quality, or slightly higher input lag with better picture quality. The price of the "nano-cell" LGs is a rip off, they look pretty bad compared to your Sony models in that range, the 850 and especially poor against the 900e. The ONLY thing the LG Super UHDs have going for them is the low input lag, that's it, the picture is really poor compared to Sony, and even Samsung's offerings for around the same price. The TCL is a great value, but, it can have some major uniformity/lighting issues. Maybe the 2018 will address this. OLED is still king. No burn in on my A1E and old EF9500, despite using it with my PC, and my wife using it with dumb stations with watermarks.

Thank you for the info on that Super UHD. Quite honestly, I want low lag, but if there is a possible middle ground between that and a good quality display I’d like to try and get it. I really wish my local Best Buy would let me hook up my mini SNES or my Switch to one of these TVs. I know neither system is 4K, I’m interested in the wider color gamut with HDR and if it’s better (Marques or MKBHD had the LG OLED wallpaper TV with Mario Kart 8 on it and it looked gorgeous) Maybe I should look into a Sony TV, have they fixed their problems with Dolby Vision? I heard that that feature on their TVs has been screwed up by recent firmware updates on the TV.

Also, say I decide not to purchase a sound bar and stick with my current surround sound setup (it’s an older Pioneer 5 speaker system that has all the audio plug ins going into the back of the sub woofer), will there be any perceptible audio delay?

I know that it won’t be Dolby Atmos/Dolby HD Audio but I assumed that it would just be okay with optical audio (I know that sort of audio connection has reached it’s peak in ability). Would buying a Sony TV and then buying a non-Sony soundbar be a problem? Other than checking for HDCP 2.2, mixing products shouldn’t be a problem should it? It’s a silly question I know.

Norse

Walk into your local Costco as they have huge deals right now. 65" tcl 405 for $649 and 65" Vizio E for 699. 55" M for 599.

So as I’ve said, I’ve been frustrated in looking for a future purchase of a 4K TV, along with a Apple TV 4K (iTunes movie purchases got upgraded to 4K HDR might as well as take advantage of that), and maybe a decent or very good soundbar. Problem is, I don’t want to spend over $3,000 on all of this. I’m far too paranoid about OLED since I’ll be playing games/retro games that have a lot of stationary menus/heatlh bars/maps etc. that could potentially burn in (I play games A WHILE when I do play). Not to mention this would also act as a monitor for PC gaming as well. About 80% of this TV’s time is going to go towards gaming and about 20% for movies.

I’m leaning towards LG’s 2017 nano cell LED TV, or more than likely the upcoming TCL 65” since TCL will be more competitively priced and their prior TV had low input lag. I’m batting around maybe getting the LG soundbar SJ9 since that seems to be the best other than a JBL 4K bar I found that had 4 extra HDMI inputs in it (I don’t think the SJ9 even has that other than maybe two). Any thoughts on this?

I really wish that upcoming DELL short throw 4K laser projector was a little cheaper, I’d maybe go for that since this would be mostly in my basement/entertainment room.
I wish I had your budget! :D I'm trying to keep prices under $1500 for a 65" tv, but I want a 75" so badly that I am meticulously monitoring the 75" vizio m and sony x850 tv's. The M has dropped below $2k and you never know, but it could drop a tad lower in March/April. I don't actually know how low stores will go when they literally have the last remaining tv's boxed up and out in the aisles.

I wish I had your budget! :D I'm trying to keep prices under $1500 for a 65" tv, but I want a 75" so badly that I am meticulously monitoring the 75" vizio m and sony x850 tv's. The M has dropped below $2k and you never know, but it could drop a tad lower in March/April. I don't actually know how low stores will go when they literally have the last remaining tv's boxed up and out in the aisles.

Just a heads up on the Ms and Ps for Vizio--they've had quite a few returns (vertical lines in the screen) and their customer service is atrocious. Now, Costco is cool re: returns for stuff like this, so you're covered there. Elsewhere...not so much.

And I'm looking for a new 65"-75" 4K TV myself and was going to get the 65" M-Series Vizio until I came across the issues with it (and the P-series). Now I'm eyeing one of the Sony 4K sets (900 if I can get the 65" for $1500).

Just a heads up on the Ms and Ps for Vizio--they've had quite a few returns (vertical lines in the screen) and their customer service is atrocious. Now, Costco is cool re: returns for stuff like this, so you're covered there. Elsewhere...not so much.

And I'm looking for a new 65"-75" 4K TV myself and was going to get the 65" M-Series Vizio until I came across the issues with it (and the P-series). Now I'm eyeing one of the Sony 4K sets (900 if I can get the 65" for $1500).
Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna play the waiting game and see what arrives this Spring.

wvnative

Anybody got settings they use for HDR games on the 2017 LG OLEDs? SDR looks fantastic but no matter what I do.. HDR looks off...

Anybody got settings they use for HDR games on the 2017 LG OLEDs? SDR looks fantastic but no matter what I do.. HDR looks off...
(On hdr game mode)
Color space Auto
Brightness 49
contrast 100
oled light 100
Dynamic contrast low

Yes it's a bit more dim than cinema mode but some games are less dim than others for some reason, I noticed most PC games are almost as bright as cinema mode on game mode

Some games you may be able to get away with cinema mode like Horizon, I prefer the brighter image and don't notice the input lag as much

Last edited:
Pricing on the new Sony LEDs are pretty aggressive
I saw the x900f 65" was priced at $2299.99. I wanna say the x900e 65" when released last year was $3299.99. So yeah not bad 1k less :D But it kinda needs to be cheaper seeing how the 900f is not too much different from last year's model. Just with a slightly better chip for DV. I haven't seen if Sony has said how many dimming zones it has yet.

Last edited:

mhayze

If price is not the major issue with OLED, and you are very sure you don't want OLED, the Sony full array local dimming sets are worth a look (new ones are starting the year at a reasonable price). On most review sites, the 2017 models were the all-around best pick after the OLEDs. I do have a 2017 B7 OLED, and it is the best gaming display I've ever used, also the best gaming monitor I've ever used, although I can fully understand not wanting to use it for that.
It is not my primary gaming display, I use monitors in my gaming room for both consoles and PC (120hz @ 1080p is nice on a display this big).
The other display tech to keep an eye on is Nvidia's BFGD (play on the Doom BFG, I'm sure) which are 120hz 65" monitors/TVs with HDR and LCD/LED tech. They probably won't be cheap and no dates either.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
My problem with OLED outside the price is the input lag and image retention.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still seeing it in the high end tvs vs my monitor and 4k tv. Shame because I love the colors on em.

Nobo-ty

Neo Member
I'm still seeing it in the high end tvs vs my monitor and 4k tv. Shame because I love the colors on em.

I love the color on LG’s OLEDs as well, but man I’m far too paranoid about image burn in for my use case of it. Plus, that’s outta my pricing really.

I had thought briefly about Apple’s new HomePod and pairing it up with an Apple TV 4K, but so far it would only work on my phone and the Apple TV, and nothing else, so that’s off the table.

I wonder if there’s any lag with using Bluetooth funcitionality with 4K on an Apple TV and a soundbar? Does anyone know if that’s been the case with trying to do that?

I love the color on LG’s OLEDs as well, but man I’m far too paranoid about image burn in for my use case of it. Plus, that’s outta my pricing really.

I had thought briefly about Apple’s new HomePod and pairing it up with an Apple TV 4K, but so far it would only work on my phone and the Apple TV, and nothing else, so that’s off the table.

I wonder if there’s any lag with using Bluetooth funcitionality with 4K on an Apple TV and a soundbar? Does anyone know if that’s been the case with trying to do that?

I play Path of Exile for an hour or two a day and my favorite Live TV channel is ESPN, in case you need a three month testimonial about how my 2017 LG OLED is doing. I was worried about image retention too, but I have a 4 year Costco warranty, so I really have absolutely nothing to worry about, should something ever happen

Nobo-ty

Neo Member
I play Path of Exile for an hour or two a day and my favorite Live TV channel is ESPN, in case you need a three month testimonial about how my 2017 LG OLED is doing. I was worried about image retention too, but I have a 4 year Costco warranty, so I really have absolutely nothing to worry about, should something ever happen

There’s not a Costco in my neck of the woods for almost if not at least a hundred miles.

BumRush

I saw the x900f 65" was priced at $2299.99. I wanna say the x900e 65" when released last year was $3299.99. So yeah not bad 1k less :D But it kinda needs to be cheaper seeing how the 900f is not too much different from last year's model. Just with a slightly better chip for DV. I haven't seen if Sony has said how many dimming zones it has yet.

Also has Black Frame Insertion which should improve motion (read: Sports) A TON!

While i would love to have an oled tv, the price is still out of reach for a 65". And if i am actually considering spending more than 2 grand on a tv then i start thinking id rather get a 75" lcd for the same price. X900e could feasibly drop into the 2500 price range once stores are really trying clear them out next month or april.

TheBoss1

Yeah OLED prices have come down but still have ways to go. I believe it will be in everyone's bedrooms as soon as they start selling them at sub-$1,000 and/or they release smaller TVs.

BumRush

Yeah OLED prices have come down but still have ways to go. I believe it will be in everyone's bedrooms as soon as they start selling them at sub-$1,000 and/or they release smaller TVs.

I think we'll see the 55" come down to $1,000 before we'll see OLEDs in the 30"-40" range (IMO)

ABeezy1388

So I bought a 65" LG B7A OLED on Black Friday. I am starting to over obsess with the picture and settings. I dont want to pay to have it professionally calibrated. I followed the settings from RTINGS website but I dont know... I still feel as if I am not "wowed". I will admit I only have played Assassin's Creed Origins(X1X) (Wasn't overly thrilled with how it looked), Kingdom Come Deliverance (X1X) (Love the game but we all know of the graphical issues), and Forza Motorsport 7 (Looked good). But other then that I have not watched any of my 4K UHD movies yet, but I have watched a few Netflix shows, done a few YouTube 4k sample videos, and then standard cable which is in 1080p. I expected cable to look better then it does, sometimes it looks good and other times it looks no better then a 500 1080p tv. The YouTube 4K videos looked incredible and I tried one 4K show on Amazon and was not impressed at all (I watched the same 4K show on my Samsung KS8000 and was very impressed.)

So my question is it worth to get a calibration disc? If so which one? Does calibrating each input work? How would I calibrate HDMI one as shown below? I basically have my set up as follows:

HDMI 1 - Comcast Xfinity Box
HDMI 2 - Xbox One X
HDMI 3 - Sony Playstation 4
HDMI 4 - PC/other (I switch this in and out)

So I want to calibrate each input to maximize whats plugged in, and then I recently found out launching the Netflix app, or Amazon video etc, each have their own settings as well. So I am overwhelmed and not as impressed as I thought I would be. So any recommendations of what to do?

J-P

Neo Member
So I bought a 65" LG B7A OLED on Black Friday. I am starting to over obsess with the picture and settings. I dont want to pay to have it professionally calibrated. I followed the settings from RTINGS website but I dont know... I still feel as if I am not "wowed". I will admit I only have played Assassin's Creed Origins(X1X) (Wasn't overly thrilled with how it looked), Kingdom Come Deliverance (X1X) (Love the game but we all know of the graphical issues), and Forza Motorsport 7 (Looked good). But other then that I have not watched any of my 4K UHD movies yet, but I have watched a few Netflix shows, done a few YouTube 4k sample videos, and then standard cable which is in 1080p. I expected cable to look better then it does, sometimes it looks good and other times it looks no better then a 500 1080p tv. The YouTube 4K videos looked incredible and I tried one 4K show on Amazon and was not impressed at all (I watched the same 4K show on my Samsung KS8000 and was very impressed.)

So my question is it worth to get a calibration disc? If so which one? Does calibrating each input work? How would I calibrate HDMI one as shown below? I basically have my set up as follows:

HDMI 1 - Comcast Xfinity Box
HDMI 2 - Xbox One X
HDMI 3 - Sony Playstation 4
HDMI 4 - PC/other (I switch this in and out)

So I want to calibrate each input to maximize whats plugged in, and then I recently found out launching the Netflix app, or Amazon video etc, each have their own settings as well. So I am overwhelmed and not as impressed as I thought I would be. So any recommendations of what to do?

I have the same TV and it blows me away. If it’s not, something must be wrong. The apps have their own setting and also Dolby Vision and HDR-10 have their own setting as well! Best thing to do is run a Netflix show without HDR, set that up, run one with HDR-10, set that up, and run one with Dolby Vision and set that up. Can seem overwheming I know but most of the settings will be the same so not too hard to remember across the different inputs and app possibilities.

Cable and dish will never look great. It’s a sub 1080P source so garbage in, garbage out. They do start to look better after a brief initial period though.

Don’t rely so heavily on others posted settings. Set it up for what looks good to you. I usually start with isf dark room or standard and then go from there. Almost all my OLED light and contrast settings are 100. Brightness 49-51 depending on when perfect black goes away. Color temp W1 or O depending on the option. Color 50-55. Turn off all the extra processing crap ie noise reduction etc.
Make sure for your gaming systems you are using “game” mode when you start adjusting. Also make sure you’ve enabled “deep color” for every input from the general menu. That’s hugely important or you won’t be getting 4K and HDR.

This is arguabley the best TV out there so it should definitely wow you. I’m anal as shot about picture and it still makes my jaw drop on the daily.

J-P

Neo Member
I have the same TV and it blows me away. If it’s not, something must be wrong. The apps have their own setting and also Dolby Vision and HDR-10 have their own setting as well! Best thing to do is run a Netflix show without HDR, set that up, run one with HDR-10, set that up, and run one with Dolby Vision and set that up. Can seem overwheming I know but most of the settings will be the same so not too hard to remember across the different inputs and app possibilities.

Cable and dish will never look great. It’s a sub 1080P source so garbage in, garbage out. They do start to look better after a brief initial period though.

Don’t rely so heavily on others posted settings. Set it up for what looks good to you. I usually start with isf dark room or standard and then go from there. Almost all my OLED light and contrast settings are 100. Brightness 49-51 depending on when perfect black goes away. Color temp W1 or O depending on the option. Color 50-55. Turn off all the extra processing crap ie noise reduction etc.
Make sure for your gaming systems you are using “game” mode when you start adjusting. Also make sure you’ve enabled “deep color” for every input from the general menu. That’s hugely important or you won’t be getting 4K and HDR.

This is arguabley the best TV out there so it should definitely wow you. I’m anal as shot about picture and it still makes my jaw drop on the daily.

Forgot to say if HDR gaming seems dim you can set “dynamic contrast” to low or med or whatever to offset that.

BumRush

Man, this thread is dead! I figured there would be more discussion around TVs, especially with the Sony 900F being released and the TCL / Samsung offerings around the corner

GreatnessRD

Man, this thread is dead! I figured there would be more discussion around TVs, especially with the Sony 900F being released and the TCL / Samsung offerings around the corner
Do you know when the 6 series TCL's supposed to drop? I was gonna get the P605, but then heard the new series was about to drop. I have patience, I can wait. lol

I'm super excited about TCL's new tv's coming out, but there isn't much else to say until the tv's are released and reviewed. I was hoping they'd come sooner so that if the reviews weren't great, I could still snag a 2017 tv. Now I'm worried the 2017 tv's will all be gone. We'll see though. Cautiously optimistic about the 6 series.
Do you know when the 6 series TCL's supposed to drop? I was gonna get the P605, but then heard the new series was about to drop. I have patience, I can wait. lol
May 1st.

link1201

I'm super excited about TCL's new tv's coming out, but there isn't much else to say until the tv's are released and reviewed. I was hoping they'd come sooner so that if the reviews weren't great, I could still snag a 2017 tv. Now I'm worried the 2017 tv's will all be gone. We'll see though. Cautiously optimistic about the 6 series.

May 1st.

I wish they'd announce the price. I think I may splurge and get the 75".

Supposedly the tv's are starting to show up on some online sites (unavailable to order) but i couldnt find any. Someone on the avs forums says they saw the 65" listed for $1032 (edit - apparently discounted?) retail $1144.75. That would be an incredible price but im still skeptical.

I too would love a 75" tv, but soooo much money... The x900 has come down quite a bit in price. I believe it can be found as low as $2000 online. That is what the vizio m75 and sony x850e 75" tvs were on black friday.

Last edited:

TheBoss1

I remember when I used to come here for little nuggets that may fly under the radar when new TVs were announced. I guess everyone's already got there OLED/FALD sets and don't give af anymore lol.

Norse

It will be nice to read the ratings reviews of the new Vizio m series and tcl p series 2018 models. Hopefully within the next month or so.

armv

Need some help pulling the trigger on a set which will be predominantly used for console gaming.

Debating between the Sony XBR49X900E ($800) or the Samsung UN49NU8000 ($1000). The 900E seems to be the defacto mid-tier recommendation around here, but the NU8000 seems to have some nice additions for gaming, specifically Game Motion Plus (motion interpolation without significant increase in input lag) and FreeSync. However, the 49" NU8000 is a 60 Hz panel (compared to the Sony's 120 Hz), so would those features even be seen?

Any recommendations? I just want someone to tell me what to buy in preparation for GoW!

TheBoss1

Need some help pulling the trigger on a set which will be predominantly used for console gaming.

Debating between the Sony XBR49X900E ($800) or the Samsung UN49NU8000 ($1000). The 900E seems to be the defacto mid-tier recommendation around here, but the NU8000 seems to have some nice additions for gaming, specifically Game Motion Plus (motion interpolation without significant increase in input lag) and FreeSync. However, the 49" NU8000 is a 60 Hz panel (compared to the Sony's 120 Hz), so would those features even be seen?

Any recommendations? I just want someone to tell me what to buy in preparation for GoW!
X900E

TLZ

Banned
What's the latest best calibrations for C6? I've checked avforums and they have HDR game on normal instead of wide, and apparently that's what LG recommended. I don't get it. I thought all the fuss about HDR is that it needs a wide color gamut :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom