• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

They are great TVs, but no Dolby Vision and $1000 more than an equivalent Sony model and at that price an OLED is a much much better value.

Samsung has arguably taken LED close to as far as it can go, but they have priced them so high there is always a better option.
Oh yes, I forgot to add that. ALthough they lowered their prices compared to the 2017 sets, they're still very expensive.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Gaming monitors are already doing it.
So what? We're a ways off before GPUs can start pumping out those kinds of framerates at that resolution and probably two console generations away from that.

Original point still stands:
Holding off on buying a TV until it supports HDMI 2.1 is rather silly. By the time we get to content that needs 2.1 its probably time for a new TV.

Last edited:

iPaul93

I want to buy a 4k tv and I don't even know where to start looking.My budget is around $1.5k and I was thinking Sony tvs are the best, but I'm not sure.I would really appreciate if you guys could recommend me the best tv for my budget.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I want to buy a 4k tv and I don't even know where to start looking.My budget is around $1.5k and I was thinking Sony tvs are the best, but I'm not sure.I would really appreciate if you guys could recommend me the best tv for my budget.
If you want to go the LED route then the Sony 900F is the best TV in that range. However the LG B7A which is an OLED is right now being sold for $1500 and is easy to recommend.

iPaul93

If you want to go the LED route then the Sony 900F is the best TV in that range. However the LG B7A which is an OLED is right now being sold for $1500 and is easy to recommend.
The problem is that none of them are sold in my country.Are 55XF8577S or 55XF8505B any good?

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
The problem is that none of them are sold in my country.Are 55XF8577S or 55XF8505B any good?
A quick Google brings back limited results for the first, a techradar review of the second one rates it pretty poorly and even recommends spending a bit more to step up to the next level of Sony's offerings.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Can you guys recommend me other (preferably Sony) tvs?Thanks.
Dude you need to provide more information. In your first post you said you had $1500 to spend. Most people reading that would assume those as USD and you live in the US. I offer models based on that assumption and give you recommendations. Then you respond that those models weren’t available in your country without telling us what country you’re in.

Because of that it is impossible to give you a recommendation beyond what I have already given.

Now that I have gotten that out of the way my recommendation is this:

Determine the model equivalent for your country of the Sony 900F and get that. If that model isn’t available see if by chance your country’s equivalent of last years 900E is still available.

Last edited:

iPaul93

Dude you need to provide more information. In your first post you said you had $1500 to spend. Most people reading that would assume those as USD and you live in the US. I offer models based on that assumption and give you recommendations. Then you respond that those models weren’t available in your country without telling us what country you’re in.

Because of that it is impossible to give you a recommendation beyond what I have already given.

Now that I have gotten that out of the way my recommendation is this:

Determine the model equivalent for your country of the Sony 900F and get that. If that model isn’t available see if by chance your country’s equivalent of last years 900E is still available.
Forgot to mention, I live in România.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Forgot to mention, I live in România.
As I said in the previous post:

Zoanoid33

Bought a LG OLED 55 inch B7a about a month ago for 1500 from best buy. After a week Dell had a sale on the same tv for 1300 so I got best buy to price match it and they refunded me 200. The TV is amazing so far, just wish there was more content in 4k and HDR to watch/play.

Was originally going to get the Sony X900f but after seeing the LG OLED next to the Sony it was obvious that it had better build and picture quality then the x900f. The LG has a bit better input lag then Sony, which was also a factor in my purchase. Another advantage is I enjoy LGs smart tv functionality much more then the Android tv on Sony, not to mention the remote is much nicer on the LG as well.

VAL0R

Banned
With a $1500 budget, what's the best TV I can buy for gaming/movies? I am more concerned with image quality over a huge screen. Any suggestions Gaf?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
With a $1500 budget, what's the best TV I can buy for gaming/movies? I am more concerned with image quality over a huge screen. Any suggestions Gaf?
Im not one to tell people to go through a thread to find answers but literally the post right above yours gives recommendations.

Sony 900F or LG B7A. The B7A is the better choice since it’s OLED.

However the B7A is last years model and it’s stock is going to run out before too much longer so I suggest getting one sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Im not one to tell people to go through a thread to find answers but literally the post right above yours gives recommendations.

Sony 900F or LG B7A. The B7A is the better choice since it’s OLED.

However the B7A is last years model and it’s stock is going to run out before too much longer so I suggest getting one sooner rather than later.
I appreciate your thoughtful response, despite my laziness. Thanks!

So what? We're a ways off before GPUs can start pumping out those kinds of framerates at that resolution and probably two console generations away from that.

Original point still stands:
Holding off on buying a TV until it supports HDMI 2.1 is rather silly. By the time we get to content that needs 2.1 its probably time for a new TV.

the biggest plus of HDMI2.1 is that it will support variable refresh rates. that means you get the freesync /g-sync experience on your tv and console. maybe even better if they spec it from 24-120Hz. and waiting for that is not stupid at all.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
the biggest plus of HDMI2.1 is that it will support variable refresh rates. that means you get the freesync /g-sync experience on your tv and console. maybe even better if they spec it from 24-120Hz. and waiting for that is not stupid at all.
HDMI 2.1 is not expected in 2019 TV models so it may be 2020 before it’s available.

Garruson

In that case, aside from the size difference, is there need to get the 65 inch over 55 inch? Also, which is honestly better, the new 2018 model or the 2017 A1, I know the speakers are different and the 2017 A1 is tilted, but is there much of an improvement with the new model or the A1 is still the best?

In that case, aside from the size difference, is there need to get the 65 inch over 55 inch? Also, which is honestly better, the new 2018 model or the 2017 A1, I know the speakers are different and the 2017 A1 is tilted, but is there much of an improvement with the new model or the A1 is still the best?
I honestly don't remember. :/ Sorry

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Alright folks I need some help to make sure I'm not going nuts.

I recently picked up the 4K UHD Harry Potter set during the Amazon Prime Day Sale because I wanted something to watch in 4k. And I was very disappointed with it.

I kept watching and was very confused why it felt like the contrast was just way effing off. During the 4th movie, there's a scene where there's basically a spotlight on the a characters face and I literally couldn't see his face because the contrast so blown out that it just engulfed his face. I messed around with the HDR presets, bright and standard mostly, and found that helped a bit but it was still way over blown.

Something similar happened at the end of the movie where ghosts figures appears and I couldn't see their faces due to the blown out contrast.

After messing with some things I found that switching the HDMI black levels from low to high made an instant change for the better. I had to drop the brightness 2 notches to get it to get back to perfect blacks but the backgrounds and faces were much more visible.

Messing with the color space on the Xbox does nothing. Even which I switch it from full to limited.

So I went back to the third movie and low and behold the what I thought was extremely dark video was now properly displaying. Really changed the enitre presentation.

What's odd is I can only get this to happen on on the Blu Ray app. Games appear to be fine and switching to high from low color space seems to have the affect you would think which is going from low to high blows out the contrast where as on the Blu Ray app going from low to high fixes the dark image.

My question is, how can I test this out to see if it's the box or the tv? The only think I can think of is to snag a 4K stand alone Blu Ray player. Is this this only way?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I just picked up two VGA CRT computer monitors. Any advice on converting component or SCART over to a VGA signal? If I did S-Video or lower I'd have to put it through a horizontal line doubler (15hz -> 30hz) and that sounds super annoying.

Specht

Neo Member

The A1E and AF8 are the same thing with different stands.

I wouldn’t recommend either one for gaming. There is some hardcore ABL going on with both sets, and the 1080p input lag isn’t awesome either.

You’re better off going with an LG or Panasonic (Not available in USA) if you plan on gaming with OLED.

There is an entire thread on AVSForum dedicated to the dimming issue on Sony OLEDs.

For video content motion handling is suppose to be better on the Sony OLEDs, but again there is a super aggressive ABL.

Garruson

The A1E and AF8 are the same thing with different stands.

I wouldn’t recommend either one for gaming. There is some hardcore ABL going on with both sets, and the 1080p input lag isn’t awesome either.

You’re better off going with an LG or Panasonic (Not available in USA) if you plan on gaming with OLED.

There is an entire thread on AVSForum dedicated to the dimming issue on Sony OLEDs.

For video content motion handling is suppose to be better on the Sony OLEDs, but again there is a super aggressive ABL.

What is ABL? And what's the dimming issue, do both of these have them? I sort of had my mind set on either one of these, they're quite pricey, though, so if there's issues and I can get another TV cheaper and better quality I'm up for that. I thought either of these would be the best in terms of films, TV, games etc.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There is no good reason to pick up an A1E or A8F over an LG. They both use the same panels and the Sonys are quite a bit more expensive.

Specht

Neo Member
ABL = Automatic Brightness Limiter

It will dim the screen if it detects a certain brightness level for an extended period of time.

Sony released an update adding Dolby Vision support, but also introduced the aggressive ABL settings. Many people on AVSForum are pissed off about it. Some of them are holding out hope for a firmware update.

I really doubt there will be a roll back of the aggressive ABL on the A1E considering the A8F included the “feature” day one.

There is no known way to downgrade the system software. So the only way to fix the dimming issue on an A1E is to replace the mainboard flashed with a firmware lower than PKG6.2858.0082 (Dolby Vision Update).

JohnnyFootball JohnnyFootball
The A1E and A8F use LG’s 2017 panels not the latest 2018 version with a revised pixel structure.

33559730.jpg

Cranberrys

I've got the weirdest problem with my Sony ZD9 and my Xbox One X. I've got the last firmware on the TV (and my Xbox is also up to date). So, to have deep blacks in HDR Mode, be it for a game or a 4K BR, I need to activate both Motionflow on Standard and Film Mode on Medium then the blacks and the overall picture is amazing.

So it's not a problem for movies because I use Motionflow anyway but for games Motionflow introduces lag so I deactivate it but then in HDR Mode, everything looks totally washed out. I try everything, Limited RGB/Full RGB in any combination on both the TV and the console… Nothing. To have deep blacks in HDR on this TV, it seems Motionflow & Film Mode must be activated.

I can't figure out why is that ? Is there anyone with a similar problem ?

Garruson

So the general consensus is to not get the Sony TV's? I know LG is cheaper, they just don't look as good. I mean I'm technically inept, for the the price and the look of it makes it seem it'll be better (I know, I know, I fall for the it's more expensive therefore it must be better, but it looks really good, and the picture quality too), but you're saying I can get a cheaper LG that's just as good, if not better? Any suggestions please, I'm literally a noob, I do like nice looking TV's.

Skyn3t

Banned
It goes like that - LG OLED's are amazing, LG LED LCDs are rubbish with fake 4k. At least this was the case till the end of last year.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I recently hooked up my 360 to a 17" CRT (Samsung PC monitor) via a Component->VGA converter. After fiddling with some settings and forcing 640x480 it looks and runs great for shmups!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So the general consensus is to not get the Sony TV's? I know LG is cheaper, they just don't look as good. I mean I'm technically inept, for the the price and the look of it makes it seem it'll be better (I know, I know, I fall for the it's more expensive therefore it must be better, but it looks really good, and the picture quality too), but you're saying I can get a cheaper LG that's just as good, if not better? Any suggestions please, I'm literally a noob, I do like nice looking TV's.
Let me say once again that Sony and LG OLEDs are all THE EXACT SAME PANEL. LG is currently the only manufacturer of OLEDs. Sony and Panasonic both purchase their OLEDs from LG and then add their own image processing and SMART features.

I am very loyal to the Sony brand and if price were equal I'd get a Sony since according to reviews the Sony seems to handle motion processing a little better. But the prices currently aren't equal. For 55" the Sony's are currenty several $100 more expensive. The A1E is the cheapest Sony OLED and its being sold for $2500 (if you shop around you can find it for lower, but not much lower) and it's the 2017 model, while the A8F is currently being sold for $2800.

Meanwhile, the 2018 model LG's: the B8 and C8 are being sold for $2000 and $2500 right now. Some places are still selling the B7A for around $1500, which is what I have which I got for the $1200 on a special memorial day sale. That's the TV to get.

Don't get me wrong, the Sony TVs are outstanding, but they're just being outclassed in value by LG.

It's also worth mentioning that there have been rumors that Sony will be releasing a true sucessor to the Z9D and a new class of OLED that has even more advanced features.

Last edited:

kingwingin

So ive owned a kdl-46s5100 for the past 10 years and ive been thinking of upgrading to something a lot bigger.

I cant find any stats on the tv i own and im just wondering how a low end tv from 2009 would compare to a low end from 2018. Would i be getting the same quality or better or have they been getting worse over the years to keep prices competetive?

n0razi

If I had the money to blow, I would get the Sony A9F hands down over a competing LG OLED C8/E8 but I am very happy with my more 'budget friendly' C7.

So ive owned a kdl-46s5100 for the past 10 years and ive been thinking of upgrading to something a lot bigger.

I cant find any stats on the tv i own and im just wondering how a low end tv from 2009 would compare to a low end from 2018. Would i be getting the same quality or better or have they been getting worse over the years to keep prices competetive?
https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-bravia-kdl-46s5100-9/specs/
I looked for some reviews, but the tv is so old and a budget model that I really couldn't find anything either. http://www.highfidelityreview.com/sony-kdl46s5100-television-review-a-foul-ball-from.html This guy does not have good things to say about it though.

Honestly, I think anything you get today is going to blow your current tv out of the water, whether it be OLED or LED. Most of today's 4k LED tv's, if not all, have a higher brightness, better color gamut, and better processors for the viewing experience. I love the quality of OLED, but I really want a bigger tv and the LG 77" OLED is way out of my price range. It would have to be a pretty sweet deal for me to settle on a 65" OLED, like less than $1500. Instead, I'm looking at the Samsung NU8000, the Vizio P75-F1, and maybe the Sony X900F.

If you're wanting something more budget, the TCL S405 and R617 tv's will be affordable and a nice upgrade over what you're currently using. At a minimum, at least upgrade your tv size to 55". RTINGS has a good list of recommended tv's and you can see what pricing is like on each one: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Just realized today all LG OLED's have their game modes locked to a wide colour gamut in SDR. Worth noting if colour accuracy is important to you. It does increase the saturation of certain colours especially Red.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Just FYI, LG dropped a new update for the older OLEDs recently. I only just found out myself, as a 65” B7 owner.

Anyway, one of the better things in this update is that it fixes the colour in PC Mode HDR, so that it now has all the correct colour of game modes HDR, but with none of the other issues such as dimming screen.

I tested it out and it looks superb.

Cranberrys

Is the Acoustic Surface sound on Sony OLED TV any good ? I'm currently owning a ZD9 and I get rid of my soundbar because I found the TV so beautiful that I Don't want anything in front of it, I just want the TV to stand alone on my black cabinet, the sound is kinda OK but a little thin. I only use TV sound to Watch BRs/UHD BRs or Netflix/Prime with my wife, when gaming or watching a movie alone I use a Sony HW700DS headphone.

I could use some advice

I have had the X900F for a few days and had some issues

I have two images I loaded to imgur to show a problem I have noticed. Please check if you get a chance.

Is blooming/banding normal? WIth no hud elements on the picture is pretty clean, but as soon as any HUG elements pop up there is BIG bloom.

I have only had the TV for 3 so can still bring it back and exchange it. This can' be normal, can it? The only way to get rid of this is to turn auto dimming all the way off but then I lose picure quality and regardless, doesnt seem like I should have to disable auto local dimming ever, right?

Could this also explain my black level issues from other posts? Basically I can’t get clean deep blacks. It’s either washed out slightly crushed depending on which way I go, no matter what I try. Is this just a lemon? SHould I exhcange? Thank you or anyone for any advice.

The 75" TCL R615 is on sale today, tomorrow, and possibly Saturday for $1499 at Bestbuy. I'm super pumped about it. I've been waiting to see if BB would drop the price of the 75" NU8000 to below what they were selling it on Black Friday, but clearance sales still haven't really materialized. So I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the TCL. It's been 3 years of getting excited to buy a tv only to not have enough peace of mind about the purchase to actually buy one. So maybe tomorrow I end my long pursuit of getting a new tv lol.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-75...d-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6319339.p?skuId=6319339

I could use some advice

I have two images I loaded to imgur to show a problem I have noticed. Please check if you get a chance.

Is blooming/banding normal? WIth no hud elements on the picture is pretty clean, but as soon as any HUG elements pop up there is BIG bloom.

I have only had the TV for 3 so can still bring it back and exchange it. This can' be normal, can it? The only way to get rid of this is to turn auto dimming all the way off but then I lose picure quality and regardless, doesnt seem like I should have to disable auto local dimming ever, right?

Could this also explain my black level issues from other posts? Basically I can’t get clean deep blacks. It’s either washed out slightly crushed depending on which way I go, no matter what I try. Is this just a lemon? SHould I exhcange? Thank you or anyone for any advice.

Dang I never saw your post or would have tried to help. I'm not real knowledgeable about the subject though. With any lcd tv, there is going to be some amount of bloom. The banding on the other hand, I'm not sure about. Did you end up taking the tv back? I looked at the 75" 900F but unfortunately it's just out of my price range. The tv itself has really high reviews. Sony's upscaling and motion processing is supposed to be the best.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
I could use some advice

Try a factory reset. If that doesn’t solve the issue then either get it exchanged or call customer service!

Ivellios

Is now a good time to buying a new 4K tv with decent HDR? I have a 11 years old 720p Panasonic plasma TV, and i think it is finally time for a upgrade.

The TV i am thinking about buying is Sony 900f (905F on my country) because it seems is the best mid budget tv according to plenty of reviews, because it provides decent HDR and image quality.

So is there any better TV on this price range? I was thinking about OLED but not only they are way more expensive on my country im really afraid of Burn in and long term as well.

Is now a good time to buying a new 4K tv with decent HDR? I have a 11 years old 720p Panasonic plasma TV, and i think it is finally time for a upgrade.

The TV i am thinking about buying is Sony 900f (905F on my country) because it seems is the best mid budget tv according to plenty of reviews, because it provides decent HDR and image quality.

So is there any better TV on this price range? I was thinking about OLED but not only they are way more expensive on my country im really afraid of Burn in and long term as well.
Are you Brazilian? Lol

Yes the 905F is a great deal.

Top Bottom