• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Is now a good time to buying a new 4K tv with decent HDR? I have a 11 years old 720p Panasonic plasma TV, and i think it is finally time for a upgrade.

The TV i am thinking about buying is Sony 900f (905F on my country) because it seems is the best mid budget tv according to plenty of reviews, because it provides decent HDR and image quality.

So is there any better TV on this price range? I was thinking about OLED but not only they are way more expensive on my country im really afraid of Burn in and long term as well.
Are you Brazilian? Lol

Yes the 905F is a great deal.
The 900F is the consensus all around good tv for the price. It's a mid-range tv that is still semi-pricey, but not nearly as bad as the higher end tv's (especially OLED). I wouldn't know how to answer the question about HDR. It's getting better as tv companies make their displays brighter and brighter. However, companies are not adding as many dimming zones to their tv's due to costs and the fact that not enough people are willing to spend more money for high-end tvs. So there will always be some blooming etc with LCD tv's. The Sony Z9D is several years old now, but still regarded as one of the better/best LCD tv's out there. I don't know how many dimming zones it has, but a lot more than they're putting into current LCD tvs. OLED tv's are still regarded as the best of the best. They don't get quite as bright as LCDs, but have the best viewing angles and contrast. Those, however, are also the most expensive, like you mentioned, and if you want anything over 65 inches, then you pretty much have to go the LCD route.

Here is rtings.com's article on the best gaming tv's currently: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming

Iorv3th

I could use some advice

I have had the X900F for a few days and had some issues

I have two images I loaded to imgur to show a problem I have noticed. Please check if you get a chance.

Is blooming/banding normal? WIth no hud elements on the picture is pretty clean, but as soon as any HUG elements pop up there is BIG bloom.

I have only had the TV for 3 so can still bring it back and exchange it. This can' be normal, can it? The only way to get rid of this is to turn auto dimming all the way off but then I lose picure quality and regardless, doesnt seem like I should have to disable auto local dimming ever, right?

Could this also explain my black level issues from other posts? Basically I can’t get clean deep blacks. It’s either washed out slightly crushed depending on which way I go, no matter what I try. Is this just a lemon? SHould I exhcange? Thank you or anyone for any advice.

Sounds like your settings aren't right.

I got the newer x950g and there is very slight blooming of brights but it's not that bad. The blacks are very black.

use this for your calibration settings try and match them https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f/settings

xtended dynamic range on high will help with blooming and having auto local dimming on medium-high.

Ivellios

Are you Brazilian? Lol

Yes the 905F is a great deal.

Yes i am.

Good to know that 905f is still a good choice even today, as they are getting cheaper around here

The 900F is the consensus all around good tv for the price. It's a mid-range tv that is still semi-pricey, but not nearly as bad as the higher end tv's (especially OLED). I wouldn't know how to answer the question about HDR. It's getting better as tv companies make their displays brighter and brighter. However, companies are not adding as many dimming zones to their tv's due to costs and the fact that not enough people are willing to spend more money for high-end tvs. So there will always be some blooming etc with LCD tv's. The Sony Z9D is several years old now, but still regarded as one of the better/best LCD tv's out there. I don't know how many dimming zones it has, but a lot more than they're putting into current LCD tvs. OLED tv's are still regarded as the best of the best. They don't get quite as bright as LCDs, but have the best viewing angles and contrast. Those, however, are also the most expensive, like you mentioned, and if you want anything over 65 inches, then you pretty much have to go the LCD route.

Here is rtings.com's article on the best gaming tv's currently: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming

It is a tv for my bedroom, so i was thinking 55 inches at most.

Thanks for the answer, unfortunately most of these models on the link arent avaiable here

Yes i am.

Good to know that 905f is still a good choice even today, as they are getting cheaper around here

It is a tv for my bedroom, so i was thinking 55 inches at most.

Thanks for the answer, unfortunately most of these models on the link arent avaiable here
Yeah no problem. If you scroll down to the bottom of that link, there is a table with more tv's all ranked. Should hopefully be able to find at least a couple more there that might be available in your area. If the 905f is available and you can afford it, it's a good tv.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Is now a good time to buying a new 4K tv with decent HDR? I have a 11 years old 720p Panasonic plasma TV, and i think it is finally time for a upgrade.

The TV i am thinking about buying is Sony 900f (905F on my country) because it seems is the best mid budget tv according to plenty of reviews, because it provides decent HDR and image quality.

So is there any better TV on this price range? I was thinking about OLED but not only they are way more expensive on my country im really afraid of Burn in and long term as well.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f
The input lag sucks but game mode fixes that slightly.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
My 7 series Samsung tv has lower lag and it costs far less. If you don't care about having a tv that has anything higher than 30ms it isn't bad since it has better colors but the Vizio seems like a better deal if you can get it cheap. My sister has the 75' version of that tv. Under game mode I missed a few notes on a music game. But that is prob because I'm not good enough lol.

My 7 series Samsung tv has lower lag and it costs far less. If you don't care about having a tv that has anything higher than 30ms it isn't bad since it has better colors but the Vizio seems like a better deal if you can get it cheap. My sister has the 75' version of that tv. Under game mode I missed a few notes on a music game. But that is prob because I'm not good enough lol.
That tv costs more than the 900f here in Brazil :/

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Sony handled the Vizio line. Weird. Either way it has good colors and HDR support. 900f looked great when I played Monster Hunter on it and Horizon anyway.

TheShocker

I just picked up the 2019 Samsung RU8000. Excited to get it set up and running my X and PS4. Upgrading from a 2017 TCL P-series.

Last edited:
Well i made the plunge. Went into Bestbuy and purchased a TCL 6-series and it is to be delivered next Thursday. Box is too big for my car. Cant wait.

As someone who works with insurance pricing, I never buy extended warranties. They are money losers. They are how stores make a ton of extra profit.

The coverage limits and deductibles involved with extended warranties make them a poor decision. Better to just stick with the manufacturers warranty and take good care of your items.

I am a big proponent of other insurance like homeowners, personal liability, etc. but extended warranties? Waste of money.

As someone who works with insurance pricing, I never buy extended warranties. They are money losers. They are how stores make a ton of extra profit.

The coverage limits and deductibles involved with extended warranties make them a poor decision. Better to just stick with the manufacturers warranty and take good care of your items.

I am a big proponent of other insurance like homeowners, personal liability, etc. but extended warranties? Waste of money.
There is no deductible or limit on a bestbuy protection plan nor on most tv protection plans. It's pretty simple. If anything goes wrong with your tv they fix it. If they can't fix it they replace it. If the tv is not manufactured anymore, they replace it with something of equal value. Today's oled and lcd tv's can have all sorts of issues that don't always crop up immediately, especially in the first year when the manufacturer's warranty is up.

Normally, i'd agree with you. I tend to avoid extended warranties, but not for a $1500+ tv. Five years is a long time and it gives me some peace of mind. I think most people would recommend some kind of extended warranty, at least on a new and expensive tv. I mean to each their own, but go to the AVS forums or any tv forum and you won't find anyone claiming the extended warranties are a bad idea.

Fair enough about the lack of deductibles at Best Buy, didn't know that. My one experience in purchasing an extended warranty was on an ipad several years ago. Didn't read the fine print that it came with a $200 deductible, absurd for a $600 device. $10 a month for that insurance is completely absurd.

I can tell you one thing from reserving several warranty programs, the loss ratios from extended warranty programs are ultra low. This is also the case with auto extended warranties. Insurers and stores in that line make a killing. Often commissions paid make up the largest part of the combined ratios of these programs, more than actual losses.

The fact is the breakdown rate of modern TVs, and most other modern electronics, is very low. It isn't often that an extended warranty will actually cover any loss. Additionally, most extended warranties are like the manufacturer warranties, not covering the perils alot of people think they would cover like normal wear and tear, chips or other cosmetic damage to the TV, etc. Usually wear and tear is NOT covered. Also, anything that is the fault of the owners is not covered. If you knock your tv over, killing it, good luck trying to get the warranty to cover that claim.

I also think it doesn't make sense to get extended warranties on technology that gets obsolete/surpassed so quickly. Do you really care that you have a warranty on a 3 year old TV? How much are 3+ year old HDTVs worth, really?

I'm of the mindset that it is very unlikely a new HDTV is going to have a real issue that would require a claim. In the very small chance that something does occur that an Extended Warranty could have covered, oh well. I would just need to replace the TV with a newer one which will at least be current technology. The other choice is to buy an expensive extended warranty that is almost surely going to just be a complete waste of money when all is said and done.

Last edited:

TheShocker

I just picked up the 2019 Samsung RU8000. Excited to get it set up and running my X and PS4. Upgrading from a 2017 TCL P-series.

Had it up and running for about 24 hours now. With it being so new, there aren’t a lot of calibrated settings out there, so I’ve been borrowing off the NU8000 ones. I have to be doing something wrong because HDR content is completely washed out on the Xbox One X. It’s to the point where I have it turned off at the console level because I can’t find any settings that look right. I had the same problem with my TCL too. That said over all IQ and motion handling is noticibly better than my TCL despite edge lit vs FALD. The free-sync VRR feature is awesome on the X. Everything is super smooth.

Iorv3th

Had it up and running for about 24 hours now. With it being so new, there aren’t a lot of calibrated settings out there, so I’ve been borrowing off the NU8000 ones. I have to be doing something wrong because HDR content is completely washed out on the Xbox One X. It’s to the point where I have it turned off at the console level because I can’t find any settings that look right. I had the same problem with my TCL too. That said over all IQ and motion handling is noticibly better than my TCL despite edge lit vs FALD. The free-sync VRR feature is awesome on the X. Everything is super smooth.

What games are you using it with and are you doing the in the game adjustments for brightness/darkness?

It shouldn't look washed out if you are used to having your TV set to accurate colors. If you are normally viewing content in something like Vivid mode (or even some standard modes) you are probably going to notice the colors don't "pop" as much. But that "pop" isn't accurate.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
I finally caved and bought an LG C8 77" OLED display. Holy cow! It's better out of the box than any TV I've ever had before. I've never spent this much money on a TV and was kind of anxious about it, but I regret nothing.
Congrats on your purchase and I am glad to hear you are enjoying it.

TheBoss1

I bought a 65" E8 OLED from eBay yesterday for $1,799. I've been eyeing the 55" models for years looking for the right price but this seemed way too good to pass up. Here's the link for anyone else who might be interested.

Aintitcool

Banned
I bought a 65" E8 OLED from eBay yesterday for $1,799. I've been eyeing the 55" models for years looking for the right price but this seemed way too good to pass up. Here's the link for anyone else who might be interested.
welcome to the E club these tvs are amazing sound and image on point. Learn to put the right black level and be amazed :)

TheBoss1

welcome to the E club these tvs are amazing sound and image on point. Learn to put the right black level and be amazed :)
I've always figured I would end up with a B/C series OLED or one from Sony but this caught me by surprise. I most likely won't have it professionally calibrated but I will try to use the most natural and accurate settings available. I'm used to using RTINGS, AVForums, and HDTV Test for basic calibration settings. Anyone in particular you find to be the best?

Psajdak

Banned
For a while now I have been using these settings for my FullHD TV:

Picture Mode: Game
Color: 50/100 - colors look balanced, and perfectly normal.

Contrast: 100/100

Brightness: 39/100 - I made a pitch black wallpaper in Paint, put it as a background, and then in almost complely dark room, I raised brightness high, and then slowly lowered it down, until the wallpaper didn become completely as black as TVs menu background, which is by default always pitch black.
On 40/100 walpaper looks like TV has LCD backlight, but only one level lowered brightness, and it looks like it should.

Sharpness: 0/50

Every enhancement, smoothing (I do, however use Smooth Video Project for video content from my PC), etc. are turned off, and content of any kind looks amazing; and in games it is hard to notice any input lag, or maybe I'm just too slow.

TheBoss1

For a while now I have been using these settings for my FullHD TV:

Picture Mode: Game
Color: 50/100 - colors look balanced, and perfectly normal.

Contrast: 100/100

Brightness: 39/100 - I made a pitch black wallpaper in Paint, put it as a background, and then in almost complely dark room, I raised brightness high, and then slowly lowered it down, until the wallpaper didn become completely as black as TVs menu background, which is by default always pitch black.
On 40/100 walpaper looks like TV has LCD backlight, but only one level lowered brightness, and it looks like it should.

Sharpness: 0/50

Every enhancement, smoothing (I do, however use Smooth Video Project for video content from my PC), etc. are turned off, and content of any kind looks amazing; and in games it is hard to notice any input lag, or maybe I'm just too slow.
I'm not sure what television you're using but I'm 99% sure your crushing blacks going that low with your brightness (black level). Your eyes are prone to deception when adjusting brightness especially when coming from a bright picture to dark.

Fake

Samsung 4K UN40JU6000G
Configuration:
Game mode ON.
Backlight: 12/20 (Using the PC config)
Contrast: 90/100 (Using the movie config)
Brightness: 45/100 (Using the movie config)
Sharpness: Between 0~10/100
Color: 50/100
Tint: G50 R50
Picture Size: 16:9
Fit to Screen: On
Adv Settings: Dynamic Contrast OFF, Black Tone OFF, Fresh Tone 0, Color Space CUSTOM (Just live the custom and don't change nothing), White Balance 2 Point all 0, Gamma 0.
Picture Options: Color Tone WARM2, HDMI Black level LOW(Same as PS4 'limited')

Last edited:

Psajdak

Banned
I'm not sure what television you're using but I'm 99% sure your crushing blacks going that low with your brightness (black level). Your eyes are prone to deception when adjusting brightness especially when coming from a bright picture to dark.
I checked my calibration on various sites, and it truly looked like I set brightness correctly -I'm currently typing this post on this TV, and everything looks naturally bright, fresh, and visible.

Btw, I even saw that one "everything black" Game of Thrones episode, and had no problems whatsoever seeing what is happening, with these settings.

I'm using LG 55EG9A7V OLED FullHD TV.

TheBoss1

I checked my calibration on various sites, and it truly looked like I set brightness correctly -I'm currently typing this post on this TV, and everything looks naturally bright, fresh, and visible.

Btw, I even saw that one "everything black" Game of Thrones episode, and had no problems whatsoever seeing what is happening, with these settings.

I'm using LG 55EG9A7V OLED FullHD TV.

Is that a B6? The photo looks like a B6 but it carries the name (EG) of the previous 1080P OLEDs .

Either way I checked RTINGS for their settings on all their old OLED reviews and the lowest brightness setting for any I saw was 50. As far as I know, LG OLEDs produce perfect black at 50. Higher means losing absolute black, and anything lower crushes near black details.

Psajdak

Banned
Is that a B6? The photo looks like a B6 but it carries the name (EG) of the previous 1080P OLEDs .

Either way I checked RTINGS for their settings on all their old OLED reviews and the lowest brightness setting for any I saw was 50. As far as I know, LG OLEDs produce perfect black at 50. Higher means losing absolute black, and anything lower crushes near black details.
I tried to set it to 50, and it looked like a washed out crap.

TheBoss1

Under advanced settings there is a option of low or high black levels.
This might be it. Having the wrong black level setting could throw everything out of wack.

I tried to set it to 50, and it looked like a washed out crap.
Check your black level setting. High should only really be used for PC and gaming, while low should be used for pretty much everything like cable, streaming, etc.

Also, your external device like your gaming console or PC should be set accordingly. Full is high, limited is low.

Last edited:

Psajdak

Banned
This might be it. Having the wrong black level setting could throw everything out of wack.
Check your black level setting. High should only really be used for PC and gaming, while low should be used for pretty much everything like cable, streaming, etc.
Also, your external device like your gaming console or PC should be set accordingly. Full is high, limited is low.
I already had it on High (btw, I´indeed use it for PC, and PS3 / PS4 Pro), but I changed it to Low just to see the difference - on Low I had to raise Brightness up to 54...

Not sure what to say; still I set it back to High / 39.

There are miniLEDs, and microLEDs. The microLEDs are gonna be the holy grail of consumer display tech, and won't be out for at least several years, if not close to 2028-2030.
...I mean... I know.................... I'm not talking about those. TCL has talked about their mini-LEDs tech for a while now and I hoped to see them soon.

TheBoss1

I literally just watched that video right before coming here. It looks insane but I wish they showed it off in a dark room. That's where the real test for non-OLED displays should happen. My Sony X900E looks amazing at day time because of local dimming, but at night those "inky" blacks look like charcoal. Still looks good but not quite like OLED.

Btw I finally set up my 65" LG E8 and it is HUGE compared to my 49" Sony X900E.

PUNKem733

I literally just watched that video right before coming here. It looks insane but I wish they showed it off in a dark room. That's where the real test for non-OLED displays should happen. My Sony X900E looks amazing at day time because of local dimming, but at night those "inky" blacks look like charcoal. Still looks good but not quite like OLED.

Btw I finally set up my 65" LG E8 and it is HUGE compared to my 49" Sony X900E.

The article mentions it challenges OLED in the footage they watched. The only megative is the viewing angles are still limited, but better, then a normal LCD panel. This will crush a 900E, hell a 6 series now matches it.

TheBoss1

The article mentions it challenges OLED in the footage they watched. The only megative is the viewing angles are still limited, but better, then a normal LCD panel. This will crush a 900E, hell a 6 series now matches it.
While I believe it will be miles ahead of past LCD displays, nothing compares to absolute black. These companies always show their displays under the ideal circumstances to hide any downfalls of their technology. A completely dark room is the ultimate test for black level performance.

Like you mentioned, MicroLEDs are going to be the real challengers to OLED. I can't wait for that.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Like you mentioned, MicroLEDs are going to be the real challengers to OLED. I can't wait for that.
You're gonna be waiting a while, son. It's still only in prototype form.

By the time MicroLED does come, OLED will probably be so cheap that it would be crazy to not consider that route.

Mini-LED on the otherhand, should have been here a few generations ago. It's long overdue.

TheBoss1

You're gonna be waiting a while, son. It's still only in prototype form.

By the time MicroLED does come, OLED will probably be so cheap that it would be crazy to not consider that route.

Mini-LED on the otherhand, should have been here a few generations ago. It's long overdue.
Not only cheap, but hopefully improved brightness while greatly lessening the chance of burn-in.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not only cheap, but hopefully improved brightness while greatly lessening the chance of burn-in.
The brightness is actually more than adequate thanks to the contrast. According to Vincent from HDTVtest in almost every shootout the OLED is often considered the brightest due to the excellent contrast eventhough on a measurable level it has (sometimes significantly) fewer nits than LEDs.

OLED still has a ton of untapped potential, specifically for gamers.

If they can find a way to minimize burn in, it could easily be the best monitor for gamers since it has a pixel response time that exceeds even the best TN panels. Combined with the excellent colors, viewing angles, contrast, it would have the best of all worlds for monitors. Burn in potential can't be ignored in a PC environment though.

The only knock I have on my LG B7A is that due to the excellent response time, it has the side effect of creating noticeable stutter in 24 fps film content (especially in panning shots) and I can't really get rid of it without introducing the horrible soap opera effect. Sony's motion processing is much better at this.

Last edited:

TheBoss1

The brightness is actually more than adequate thanks to the contrast. According to Vincent from HDTVtest in almost every shootout the OLED is often considered the brightest due to the excellent contrast eventhough on a measurable level it has (sometimes significantly) fewer nits than LEDs.

OLED still has a ton of untapped potential, specifically for gamers.

If they can find a way to minimize burn in, it could easily be the best monitor for gamers since it has a pixel response time that exceeds even the best TN panels. Combined with the excellent colors, viewing angles, contrast, it would have the best of all worlds for monitors. Burn in potential can't be ignored in a PC environment though.

The only knock I have on my LG B7A is that due to the excellent response time, it has the side effect of creating noticeable stutter in 24 fps film content (especially in panning shots) and I can't really get rid of it without introducing the horrible soap opera effect. Sony's motion processing is much better at this.
I am absolutely in love with my LG E8 so I agree about the brightness being sufficient for my use. I'm just listing out a road map for future improvements to an already awesome technology.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am absolutely in love with my LG E8 so I agree about the brightness being sufficient for my use. I'm just listing out a road map for future improvements to an already awesome technology.
I initially bought the Sony 900F, which is a fantastic LED in it's own right, but I returned it and exchanged it for the B7A and have never looked back and I don't think I can ever go back to LED. In addition to the contrast, things like the viewing angle and no clouding make OLED my TV type for the time being. OLED tragically spoils you. Clouding and haloing look 1000X worse now.

Last edited:

TheBoss1

I initially bought the Sony 900F, which is a fantastic LED in it's own right, but I returned it and exchanged it for the B7A and have never looked back and I don't think I can ever go back to LED. In addition to the contrast, things like the viewing angle and no clouding make OLED my TV type for the time being. OLED tragically spoils you. Clouding and haloing look 1000X worse now.
I still got my Sony X900E but I haven't used it since. I am spoiled by the image quality of OLED. Space scenes are the best with no blooming on stars.

Siri

Banned
So Nvidia now supports G-SYNC for OLED displays?

Meaning I can buy this....

.... and use it for gaming on my RTX 2080 Ti?

Crownjo

So recently I got the LG C9 OLED. Truly amazing!

So Nvidia now supports G-SYNC for OLED displays?

Meaning I can buy this....

.... and use it for gaming on my RTX 2080 Ti?

Yes.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
So recently I got the LG C9 OLED. Truly amazing!

So if I connect the C9 to my RTX 2080 Ti via HDMI, am I locked at 60Hz at 4K?

My understanding is that we’ll need HDMI 2.1 on our GPUs in order to run up to 120Hz. Right now my RTX 2080 Ti is connected to an Acer X34 - no way would I ever revert to a fixed frequency monitor.... but I’ve also gotten used to gaming between 60 and 100Hz.

I am tired of backlight bleed though.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So if I connect the C9 to my RTX 2080 Ti via HDMI, am I locked at 60Hz at 4K?

My understanding is that we’ll need HDMI 2.1 on our GPUs in order to run up to 120Hz. Right now my RTX 2080 Ti is connected to an Acer X34 - no way would I ever revert to a fixed frequency monitor.... but I’ve also gotten used to gaming between 60 and 100Hz.

I am tired of backlight bleed though.
I am shocked that this didn’t get more press since Nvidia taking advantage of HDMI 2.1 is a big deal and makes the LG OLEDs potentially the best monitors.

However I look forward to testing results and would like to know to know if it’s full bandwidth.

Top Bottom