• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale Games Reportedly Laid Off Almost Entire Staff in September - Wolf Among Us 2 Status Unknown

Macaron

Banned
Gotta wonder how much their first game back being based on something as niche as The Expanse played a role in this. Made no sense to me, can't imagine it sold well

radewagon

I love unions. Well, most unions. But I don't really see what unions could have done for them. I'm a teacher and we have a strong union but even a strong union can't really stop layoffs. If the money's not there, the money's not there. In those cases, the only thing the union can do for teachers is to try and force the district to cut costs in other areas before they lay off teachers.

I'd imagine it would be the same in most sectors when there isn't enough money to keep the lights on.

Here's one part of the DoubleFine documentary related to what I was talking about:

I watched these documentaries on their company for over a decade now, and you can feel tangibly how it went from a group of like-minded guys with shared creativity to a damn mediocre business that has emotional wrecks being coddled. Sorry, but I do believe strongly that great creativity comes from shared effort of brilliant people, not from managing a line of 9-5 "diverse" developers through a million middle-manager HR layers.

Tim Schafer was one of the individuals who welcomed this new era of gaming with open arms. Even prior to Psychonauts 2, Tim was not very good at managing game development and budgets.

draliko

It's not about the union it's about knowing how to run a company and not spending more than you make... gaming is extremely profitable when you make good games, if you make niche games don't expect to bring in billions of cash so operate accordingly, keep your expenditures low... you're not a great studio, you don't make great games, you don't sell like hotcakes... so don't overspend...
Gaming will not crash for sure, but the bubble will deflate thank god

xrnzaaas

Not sure if focusing on doing The Expanse instead of finishing Wolf 2 was the right idea. Plus you shoot yourself in the foot by making it an Epic exclusive.

Varteras

Gold Member
Fucking hell. Industry going through employees like

FF72BDC7BA757081105E1F6C026E3C13BC49CBBA

Drizzlehell

Banned
Brah, I didn't even know that they were back and released a game based on The Expanse, lol.

Well, you know what happens when you release your game as an Epic exclusive:
joker-arthur.gif

ThaGuy

I don't know if anyone remembers the 360/PS3 era but man so many companies shut down cause of rising costs of game development. One failed game was putting companies in the red and causing them to shut down. Lair comes to mind.

It sucks cause the PS2/Xbox/GC era had so many hidden gems. From true crime, to the def jam games and all that. Now we wait for sequels or look towards indie games to fill those holes.

Top Bottom