• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terminator 1 vs Terminator 2. Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

Hard one. I love them both so much. I guess I'll go with Terminator 1 though.

Also I guess Thor 2: The Dark World is still a thing :/

I'd probably say T2 but the first Terminator is legitimately one of the scariest films I've ever seen. The low budget, the 80s setting, Arnie, the music, it's incredibly tense.

I love them both. Back in the day as a kid the first Terminator felt a bit meh compared to the just released T2, but watching it again recently, it was pretty good too.

I'd probably say T2 but the first Terminator is legitimately one of the scariest films I've ever seen. The low budget, the 80s setting, Arnie, the music, it's incredibly tense.

Until the recent rewatch and HD I never noticed / remebered (I was a kid) how the Terminator's skin degrades over time, the burnt hair... It's like over time it becomes much less human and more like a possesed corpse. Although TBH, the fucking T-1000 scared me shitless. as a kid and made me suffer till the end of the movie. he never stopped following you, he barely made any mistakes and if it grabbed you, you were pretty much dead. While the T-800 would take some time to prepare between assaults, this one was a constant source of panic and fear, never allowing you to rest for too long.

Clearly Thor 2: The Dark World

But joking aside, i always enjoyed Terminator 1 the most... T2 is cool too, but i prefer the more creepy and serious tone of the first one, is basically an slasher movie with guns and a really bleak ending, i love it.

Terminator 2. It resonated more with me as a kid then the first movie, and I still love it to this day. Fond memories of my mum being away during the day, and my dad asking me and my little brother which grown-up movie we'd like to watch as she wasn't home.

Good times.

(That and I think it's the better movie in terms of pacing and performance/effects etc.)

FyreWulff

For all of its big special effects, the second film still has some glaring problems. Like the smoke jets on the stove the biker is thrown on and the telephone box the terminator punches being a different colour where it dents in and the laughable dummy being dragged behind the police car.

Not that any of that matters though, I love the practical effects of both films but whereas the shortcomings of the original were budget related I can't help but question them in the second film.

This is one of the first films to use computer assisted cable paint-out. Cameron even mentions in the commentary that the cables were made huge to make it easier for the computers to find (like the bike jump into the canal), whereas today the cables can actually be made pretty small and the computers can find them just fine. All those effects were what was available at the time, but since the rest of the film punched above it's weight, the contemporary effects stick out more.

Another thing is you'll notice later on in the film, more T-1000 transformations happen off-screen. This an old trick, and Cameron mentions they needed to do it because they didn't have the money to do any more on screen CG than they did.

Nowadays even the damn blood in a scene is VFX.

Fun fact: there's effects being done even when you don't think so. The scene where Arnie drives the motorcycle out of the garage was manually hand-undercranked just to make it look a bit faster and quicker because Arnold was afraid of crashing after a reset.

I prefer Terminator to Terminator 2

I admire it's... purity

Gosh, this. T1 is a really menacing horror film and you can see the influence that Corman had on younger Cameron. Great music and practical effects.

T2 was much more tame. And was the "can't have Arnie as the bad guy anymore, let's make him the nanny" entry in the series. It's all been downhill since T1.

Thinking about T1 again just pisses me off how they fucked up 4. Those Kyle Reese flashbacks were so good, then they fucked it all up.

Thinking about T1 again just pisses me off how they fucked up 4. Those Kyle Reese flashbacks were so good, then they fucked it all up.

I've always said that a pure future war film wouldn't work. This scenes work because they are used sparingly to visually convey the terrors of the future that Reese describes. They exist as a cog in the films framework to provide the agency to propel the film forward. A movie set entirely in the future lacks that agency and risked ruining the specialness of those fleeting sequences.

I doubt even Cameron himself would have ver been able to make a compelling film set entirely during the Future War. Not that I think he would even try, he understood the value and place they had within the films full context.

T2 is winning?

Disgusting.

You're not actually surprised, are you? I totally understand liking the first more, but of course T2 will win in any poll. It's T2.

I am stunned that people think T2 has better pacing. Wow.

I don't really have a problem with the pacing in either movie. I mean, I guess I'd say it takes T2 a while to get going, where not much exciting shit happens until the terminators reach John. Whereas the first does a fantastic job of building tension at the start, building up to night club scene. But, even the slow start of T2 doesn't really bother me.

firelogic

Terminator 1 for me. It was a cool concept and the Terminator was a menacing force to be reckoned with. I don't like T2 at all because they took that awesome character and completely neutered him with that no-kill rule AND they teamed him up with a bratty teenager. It doesn't matter who that teenager was.

Terminator 1 and Alien are fantastic sci fi slasher/horror films

Aliens is a fantastic sci fi action/horror film that continues the story in a natural way

Terminator 2 imo is not only a fantastic sci fi action/horror film, but one of the best films ever made with a fantastic moral to the story that not onky feels like a natural extension of the original film but brings the story to a perfect close.

Its a good thing they stopped making terminator films after 2, since those films would have diminished the beautiful mastery of that film's ending.

I must have watched T2 more than 50 times.

I wouldn't know the exact number of times I have watched it. I saw it a few times at the cinema, it was the longest wait ever to get the vhs. When I did I watched it daily after school, took it to slumber parties on weekends. I watched it so much in the 90s I went years without seeing it again (just prior to T3s release.. was the first time I'd seen T2 in almost 6 years). I generally watch it 2-3 times a year.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wow, T2 beat out the joke answer.

That's all you really need to know.

1 always

giphy.gif

yes!

T1 has superior set pieces and Arnolds acting was better and more robotic in nature.

T1 obviously. The level of fear that machine induces anytime it appears on screen is just sublime. That sense of "no matter what you do, no matter how fast you run, I'll catch you and I'll kill you" was never achieved again in any other terminator film.

It's pretty obvious to me that T1's director gave Cameron a lesson on how to direct a movie.

T2 is not bad at all, actually is great, but it's no way at the same level of the original masterpiece.

Camwi

Terminator is great, but T2 blows it out of the fucking water.

And Thor: The Dark World? I cum in my pants just thinking about it.

Sephzilla

T1 obviously. The level of fear that machine induces anytime it appears on screen is just sublime. That sense of "no matter what you do, no matter how fast you run, I'll catch you and I'll kill you" was never achieved again in any other terminator film.

It's pretty obvious to me that T1's director gave Cameron a lesson on how to direct a movie.

T2 is not bad at all, actually is great, but it's no way at the same level of the original masterpiece.

5v9he6U.gif

As a kid nothing topped T2. But as an adult I enjoy T1's gritty look and story more than T2's blockbuster style although it's amazing how good T2 still looks today.

Sephzilla

Unnecessary except for the whole John Connor is the savior of the human race angle.

A lonely, war torn man seeks solace in the idea of a fantasy woman and a love.

By this point in the film, Sarah's kinda bought into his story and goes with it. They have sex and the whole conceit of Kyle becoming the tragic father adding an irony to Sarah's sadness in the photo Kyle spent years of looking at and fell in love with fulfills itself.

Do you mean not have Kyle be John's father? Because I don't think that would be anywhere near as effective.

I've always thought making Kyle Reese the father of John Connor, while a neat twist, felt entirely unnecessary. Kyle crushing on Sarah just because of a picture is creepy even if it's understandable considering how fucked up Reese is. I think Terminator 1 could still work perfectly fine without the love story jammed in there too.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Thor 2 FTW.

T2. It's an amazing movie. One is good tho, dont get me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom