• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terribly embarrassing but awesome 80s songs

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
So is this geared towards music that everyone thinks is embarrassing and that you enjoy?

Or is this geared towards music that you enjoy, but are embarrassed to listen to in front of others?

Nobody_Important

Cindi Lauper is the answer to both of your questions :p
Hey come on now show some respect.

Cindi was the modern female liberal before it was cool.

50801978-58aca29e5f9b58a3c94e75ab.jpg

MastAndo

This thread is making me realize I'm too emotionally invested in 80's pop music to distinguish between an embarrassing song I happen to like, and just a good song. I don't even know if the ones I just posted qualify as terrible to me, lol.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
This thread is making me realize I'm too emotionally invested in 80's pop music to distinguish between a terrible song I happen to like, and just a good song. I don't even know if the ones I just posted qualify as terrible to me, lol.
I know, a glory hole of love.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
This thread is making me realize I'm too emotionally invested in 80's pop music to distinguish between an embarrassing song I happen to like, and just a good song. I don't even know if the ones I just posted qualify as terrible to me, lol.
I agree. I think the 80's had a wide range of sounds because there were a lot more ways to hit it big. Could be a soundtrack, make it out of college radio, have that perfect video on MTV, hit just the right sound folks wanted at the beach that summer. It felt a lot more organic without clear channel or like 3 music venues pushing only commercial focus tested crap like today.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
*Emotional nonsense

This thread reminds me of all my friends lost to AIDS and suicide from 20 years plus ago. Cheers.

Nobody_Important

Hmm...don't they both mean the same thing?

No. One means you enjoy the music despite people finding it embarrassing and the other is you being afraid to listen to that music in front of others. The first person enjoys it regardless. The second enjoys it, but only in private.

So basically I was wondering if this was a guilty pleasure thread or a "fuck you this shit rocks" kind of thread.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
No. One means you enjoy the music despite people finding it embarrassing and the other is you being afraid to listen to that music in front of others. The first person enjoys it regardless. The second enjoys it, but only in private.

So basically I was wondering if this was a guilty pleasure thread or a "fuck you this shit rocks" kind of thread.
It's this shits rocks with plenty of tears. You never get back your youth.

Nobody_Important

My first of many contributions. Have had many friends tell me this shit is cringe rock or whatever excuse they use, but I don't care. I love The Cult.

EviLore EviLore and staff I may double post here. Sorry in advance. I have loads of this shit piled up in my playlists. Who knew that my music choices would be as cringe as me. 😊

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Love it. Ultra cheese and Morton Harket must have the highest pitch voice ever in a guy.

The video is better than the song.

This is the greatest song and video of the 80s.

there is a new documentary on them called a-ha the movie. It was interesting look at the band.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Sorry, but I'm not embarrassed by still enjoying Huey Lewis and The News. Those hold up.
Yeah, I don't think Cyndi Lauper and Huey Lewis belong here. Cyndi is too cool and too hip even after all these years, and both of their hits get tons of airplay on radio, so it's apparent people aren't embarrassed to listen to their songs.

Also not sure if metal hair bands are considered embarrassing these days, are they? Or are we that old?

BTW here are some more songs I would be too ashamed to listen to in public:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
No one of these songs are embarassing in the slightest, especially when we have fucking lizzo and nicky minaj or that 69 rainbow clown singing in modern times.

Alx

I suppose only French readers will relate, but you can't mention cheesy 80s videos without thinking "les Démons de Minuit"

Top Bottom