• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla drops Steam gaming support inside its vehicles

Draugoth

Gold Member
Tesla-Steam-Beta.jpg

Tesla is telling new Model S and Model X buyers that they won’t have access to Steam gaming inside their electric vehicles.

However, we now learn that Tesla is dropping the feature. The automaker wrote to people taking delivery of new Model S and Model X vehicles:

Tesla is updating the gaming computer in your Model X and your vehicle is no longer capable of playing Steam games. All other entertainment and app functionalities are unaffected.

Source

XXL

I have a Model Y with FSD.

You can't play games while driving, the car has to be in park. Maybe you can hack it to (no idea), but it's definitely not by default, even with FSD on.

Same goes for movies.

Last edited:

consoul

Eh, no great loss. Still got all the other games, and I don't even play those. Only played once or twice while charging on a long roadtrip. I'd rather stretch my legs or use my phone tbh. I prefer to play videogames when I'm not in the car.

Subscription, the car. That's why I don't want to move toward electric vehicles and why THEY want you to. Thinking of learning and practicing a martial art and just going full scooter. I mean, imagine having to pay for a fucking monthly service just to warm your ass? When the car you are using can do it, but you gotta pay to "unlock" the feature from being used? Fuck... I hate how we collectively take it deeper than Atlantis.

ReyBrujo

You're telling me auto-pilot that will happily drive you into a truck or wall coupled with easy access to video games is a bad idea now?

I guess autopilot would play games when the human was actually driven beaching TOS (you cannot use bots to play). Wouldn't surprise me if Valve asked for that.

XXL

We talking subscription services?

Fuel is the ultimate (non optional) subscription service with fluctuations almost every day.
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

Last edited:

TheKratos

Lotta broke ppl jokes in this topic bit as far as I'm aware you can't play any games if you're not in park mode, you can't play games or watch videos while using autopilot.

reinking

Gold Member
Lotta broke ppl jokes in this topic bit as far as I'm aware you can't play any games if you're not in park mode, you can't play games or watch videos while using autopilot.
People do not have to be broke to know some things are not a good idea. My Honda isn't supposed to let me watch videos unless it is in park too. It took me less than two minutes to get it working so my granddaughter could watch videos while riding in the front seat. Besides that, there are many reasons not to buy a Tesla other than being broke. (even though I am 😜)

Last edited:

TheKratos

I
People do not have to be broke to know some things are not a good idea. My Honda isn't supposed to let me watch videos unless it is in park too. It took me less than two minutes to get it working so my granddaughter could watch videos while riding in the front seat. Besides that, there are many reasons not to buy a Tesla other than being broke. (even though I am 😜)
I'm confused, did you ignore where I said it's not possible to play games/videos unless you're in park mode? Unless you mean that people can exploit the software to still play games, that's on them. I would be pissed if they took away YouTube just because some fools exploited the software to watch while driving.

And yes, there are many reasons not to want a Tesla but calling it a golf kart just to be cool is terribly lame. Especially since the big plus of a Tesla is the driving experience

reinking

Gold Member
I'm confused, did you ignore where I said it's not possible to play games/videos unless you're in park mode?
Did you ignore where I said....My Honda isn't supposed to let me watch videos unless it is in park too. It took me less than two minutes to get it working?

I have no idea if an exploit exists on Tesla cars since I am not interested in a full EV at this time. I have no problem with people that have them but calling people out for being too broke to afford one is silly since there are several factors in deciding whether to get one or not. Cost is no more limiting than trying to buy a Ford F-150 these days.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Call me old fashioned but drivers should focus on the road. Thanks to smartphones road accidents are increasing again.

The feature is not available while driving. 🤦🏾‍♂️

I wonder if Tesla had an issue with Valve. It was a clunky feature that most people never used anyway.

TheKratos

Did you ignore where I said....My Honda isn't supposed to let me watch videos unless it is in park too. It took me less than two minutes to get it working?

I have no idea if an exploit exists on Tesla cars since I am not interested in a full EV at this time. I have no problem with people that have them but calling people out for being too broke to afford one is silly since there are several factors in deciding whether to get one or not. Cost is no more limiting than trying to buy a Ford F-150 these days.
Clearly I didn't ignore it since I literally asked for clarification by asking if you meant that people can exploit Tesla's software.

Like I said, fair enough for not wanting certain cars but being passive aggressive and calling it a fucking golf kart (not talking about you specifically) is the typical behavior of people hating on things they can't afford anyway.

Sorcerer

You can't have someone on the passenger side, or in the backseat playing while the car is in motion?
What's the point? Who wants to play games in a parked car?

I would imagine keyboard and mouse support is very lacking

This is certainly not a Musk have by any stretch of the imagination!!!

Last edited:

XXL

And yes, there are many reasons not to want a Tesla but calling it a golf kart just to be cool is terribly lame. Especially since the big plus of a Tesla is the driving experience
One of the best parts about owing a Tesla is making these low budget race cars look like fools at red lights and I do it all the time.....It's super embarrassing for them.

That's why they hate on it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The heart of Tesla cars is the electric motors, I think a lot of people realized the interiors are distracting, and not great so if you’re Tesla it’s back to the drawing board. Give Tesla credit on dropping Steam.

rkofan87

Gold Member
You can't have someone on the passenger side, or in the backseat playing while the car is in motion?
What's the point? Who wants to play games in a parked car?

I would imagine keyboard and mouse support is very lacking

This is certainly not a Musk have by any stretch of the imagination!!!
this.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If you can only use it while parked, what's even the point? Do people just sit in their cars for fun without actually going anywhere?

I guess it's for the guys who sit in the parking lot and wait while their wives are on a shopping spree?

Last edited:
It was little more than a tech demo to begin with and not a great idea. If you're sitting in your car waiting for someone just play a game on your phone

why is there steam access in the first place?? who the fuck thought it was a good idea???

oh right, the company that thought it's a good idea to get rid of physical buttons and burying everything into layers of menus.

diffusionx

Gold Member
“You don’t like this car because you’re poor” lmao Teslas are totally mainstream dude and you get a tax break from uncle sucker for buying one, it’s not like every Tesla is a Plaid Edition.

Unknown?

Subscription, the car. That's why I don't want to move toward electric vehicles and why THEY want you to. Thinking of learning and practicing a martial art and just going full scooter. I mean, imagine having to pay for a fucking monthly service just to warm your ass? When the car you are using can do it, but you gotta pay to "unlock" the feature from being used? Fuck... I hate how we collectively take it deeper than Atlantis.
Just buy a restored old car. New cars can be hacked.

sendit

You exploited the system and think others will to if they wanted to watch videos out of park? Most people don't exploit systems or care enough to do so. Additionally, you're comparing Honda's shitty software (not a surprise) to software of an actual software company.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
There's no internet connection and everything is mechanical, not electronic.
If you did all the restoration yourself. If not, whoever restored it could have stuck any kind of electronics in it secretly.

reinking

Gold Member
You exploited the system and think others will to if they wanted to watch videos out of park? Most people don't exploit systems or care enough to do so. Additionally, you're comparing Honda's shitty software (not a surprise) to software of an actual software company.
Holy fuck guys. I was just pointing out things happen and having access to computer games might not be the best idea. Obviously, access is being pulled for a reason, right?

Yes, I have a shitty Honda system in my commute car. No, I don't exploit it when I am driving. It was done for a passenger (as clearly stated). As for Tesla cars. I believe they are fine but they do not fit everyone's needs. I was just pointing out that they are not cost prohibitive as portrayed in the original post I responded to.

You guys carry on with whatever points you are trying to make. This is much more important to others than it is to me since I do not have a Tesla and will not be buying any full EV as long as it does not fit my transportation needs.

LordOfChaos

They should have kept the feature and limited its access to when the car isn't in motion. Wasn't that the actual plan before anyway?

That was already the limit, and I don't think anything's indicated that was the reason for its removal?

Elon's been in hardcore cost cutting mode, maybe they were paying something for this and just cut it with low use

sendit

Holy fuck guys. I was just pointing out things happen and having access to computer games might not be the best idea. Obviously, access is being pulled for a reason, right?

Yes, I have a shitty Honda system in my commute car. No, I don't exploit it when I am driving. It was done for a passenger (as clearly stated). As for Tesla cars. I believe they are fine but they do not fit everyone's needs. I was just pointing out that they are not cost prohibitive as portrayed in the original post I responded to.

You guys carry on with whatever points you are trying to make. This is much more important to others than it is to me since I do not have a Tesla and will not be buying any full EV as long as it does not fit my transportation needs.

Yet, you came in to this thread with your 10 cents (telling everyone you have no interest in EVs) assuming the reason for them taking away Steam was because of a possible exploit when their other non-steam games remain playable (while the car is in park).

Last edited:

Three

That was already the limit, and I don't think anything's indicated that was the reason for its removal?

Elon's been in hardcore cost cutting mode, maybe they were paying something for this and just cut it with low use
Nothing from tesla but the first 3 posts made it seem like it was a terrible idea because of this. I suspected that it was only possible while parked but wasn't 100% sure.

I don't know what they would have needed to pay for by keeping the steam app, maintenance and security updates maybe?

Top Bottom