• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla recalls the Cybertruck for faulty accelerator pedals that can get stuck

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Meme car.

It was a meme since day 1

window-break.gif

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Y’all are just haters, I love my Cybertruck. It accelerates for me even when I didn’t know I wanted to. This is the future, bitches.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
They could a release a normal version (different body style) for the rest of the world but Elon is such crybaby

Yeah, this one feels like a very "elon" kind of product.

And then there's the fact that stainless steel is not like stone you know, something that will never rust. Stainless, over time, will stain and then rust - conditions matter of course, but the end-game for all these vehicles is either continous care of that steel surface or some sort of cover, be it a vynil wrap or a clearcoat (Iif it can be applied? I'm not sure).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Dude, every automaker has recalls that vary in severity in almost every model they release. This is not someone going out of control.
Are you even vaguely familiar with the life of Elon Musk? Maybe you will be one of the people shocked when he's inevitably buried under the prison.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
*puffs the doobie*

Nah, yousee, it's simply the AI deciding it's own directives. It puts the very act of going to point A to point B into a metagame of Darwinism, and I think it's really going to say a lot about people's interdependence on one another, be they synthetic or flesh and blood, and I gotta say-

JRE: Yeah, yeah! That's crazy! It's like those monkeys that learned to use Spears because they all did DMT

it's an overpriced truck that fails at being a truck while also being a hazard to everyone else on the road due to its sharp cornered hard steel exterior. Add infamous build quality tesla is known for and you get a vehicle worse than a Homer.

GeekyDad

Dude, every automaker has recalls that vary in severity in almost every model they release. This is not someone going out of control.
Usually, recalls are for matters of "just in case." This is a very, very serious issue that should not have been overlooked, in my opinion.

Thaedolus

Let me know when you make something 1/10000000000000000000000th as useful.

Otherwise, good that they're doing this.
*raises hand*

All you’d have to do is not make some thing which is a monstrous, retarded net negative to meet that low bar. If you have a contribution toward a project which is usefully a net positive then, well, you outdid Elon on this particular project.

I think his drive and overall contributions to rocketry and electrification are very admirable and make me think the case can be made he’s a net positive for, hell, civilization. But let’s just call Cybertruck and his social media presence what they are: giant warts on this guy’s legacy, the same was Ford’s antisemitism is on his reputation.

Cybertruck being a pile of shit is going to be a stain on Tesla. There’s simply no reason to own one when the big three truck manufacturers are releasing their own EVs without all the tech bro nonsense

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
*raises hand*

All you’d have to do is not make some thing which is a monstrous, retarded net negative to meet that low bar. If you have a contribution toward a project which is usefully a net positive then, well, you outdid Elon on this particular project.

I think his drive and overall contributions to rocketry and electrification are very admirable and make me think the case can be made he’s a net positive for, hell, civilization. But let’s just call Cybertruck and his social media presence what they are: giant warts on this guy’s legacy, the same was Ford’s antisemitism is on his reputation.

Cybertruck being a pile of shit is going to be a stain on Tesla. There’s simply no reason to own one when the big three truck manufacturers are releasing their own EVs without all the tech bro nonsense

I don’t understand what you’re basing this on, my understanding is that the product has been a massive success, being completely sold out with deliveries now pushed back to late 2025?

Every time Tesla releases a new platform it takes years for them to get it right. The Model 3/Y was hot garbage until 2021, the Model X was riddled with issues for years after release. I expected the same for early adopters of the Cybertruck.

Zathalus

This truck just screams failure. Shoddy build quality, rusts easily, incredibly dangerous to pedestrians and other vehicles, and cheap interior. Oh, and you can only sell it in the US.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
He must have copied that Toyota design?
That “Toyota design” was a propaganda campaign of the US government to smear the name and bring GM back to the forefront of biggest automaker ww.

Ten years in court, NASA involved, to find out everyone with “the problem” bought and installed 3rd party floor mats and installed them on all on their own.

It worked, as decades later Toyota still has that stigma and lost massive ground in the US.

Tesla actually did “that Toyota” design for reals.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
That “Toyota design” was a propaganda campaign of the US government to smear the name and bring GM back to the forefront of biggest automaker ww.

Ten years in court, NASA involved, to find out everyone with “the problem” bought and installed 3rd party floor mats and installed them on all on their own.

It worked, as decades later Toyota still has that stigma and lost massive ground in the US.

I just googled this.

Holy shit! And at the end of the day, the ride-by-wire system was perfectly fine, it was just mats pushing the pedal. And according to Toyota's sales data you're right it destroyed their marketshare in USA.

sankt-Antonio

I just googled this.

Holy shit! And at the end of the day, the ride-by-wire system was perfectly fine, it was just mats pushing the pedal. And according to Toyota's sales data you're right it destroyed their marketshare in USA.
Its a funny story, they called in NASA to find a fault. XD

Why do you think Dieselgate was "uncovered" from a US department and is primarily known to be a Volkswagen problem.
Even if GM / Ford where simultaneously found out to have done the same - but they did it with light duty trucks you see - so no problem and keep on trucking :/

AJUMP23

I meant it as a joke, and I only buy Toyotas. They are the best cars.

-Minsc-

Can a Back to the Future remake save the Cyber Truck? I'm not sure, "the Cyber Truck" just doesn't have the same ring to it as "the DeLorean".

Synless

Dude, it's the acceleration pedal, not faulty sprinklers. They are recalling every one made.
I get it. I’m not discounting any of that. I am saying that automakers have faulty shit all the time. My Ford Explorer and all of them made (2011-2017) had a faulty part that can cause a mechanism to break that would cause you to have an instant change in steering while driving and a risk of crashing due to it. This is from a company over 100 years old… my point is this shit happens.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

I get it. I’m not discounting any of that. I am saying that automakers have faulty shit all the time. My Ford Explorer and all of them made (2011-2017) had a faulty part that can cause a mechanism to break that would cause you to have an instant change in steering while driving and a risk of crashing due to it. This is from a company over 100 years old… my point is this shit happens.
Nah. These are things where most of the time strange occurrences have to meet, like salt water getting on a specific part in a specific humidity and then there is a chance for it to fail. Or a weld spot could become loose, and in a rare case lead to oxidation of a part next to it which in return could bla bla bla. Some chance that is over the tolerable ppm failure rate. You simply cant test for every conceivable situation.

Here the acceleration pedal is made to be dissembled in the direction you put force on it with your foot. So it disassembles itself in use. Directly, under the use case it is made for. The Tesla fix is to rivet the parts together :/

At least it right now. Almost every car that comes out, have a recall. But lots of time, it’s 3-5 years later. Cause they don’t want to believe or hope it nothing serious. Hell, my 2019 civic got a recall just now. Hell they don’t make these models anymore. But now there a fault. Heck my 99 expedition had a recall like in 2010. Over ten years later.

Top Bottom