• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TGS Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain gameplay

D3 Publisher debuted eight minutes of gameplay of its newly announced Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain during a Tokyo Game Show 2017 stage event.

Developed by Yuke’s Media Creation, Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain is a new take on the traditional series. The third-person shooter will see players fight on an Earth devastated by giant creatures.

Source: http://gematsu.com/2017/09/eight-minutes-earth-defense-force-iron-rain-gameplay#qO4LJ396zFU1tqSq.99

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulxzmshbiio

Seriously, EDF with a budget... Did anyone see this coming @_@ ?!

Jackpot

Banned
God damn those annoying commentators.

Aside from nice graphics struggling to see what differentiates it from EDF5. Will still get, just thought they'd take it in a different direction with there being 2 games.

Rymuth

This is D3's Monster Hunter World (more story focused, geared towards the west)

Fake Edit: Wow, how old is that female announcer o_O

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
That screen tearing...

Probably 38 years old but with an obnoxious forced pandering voice.

Elfstar

Why does every single japanese live gameplay video need a girl with an irritatingly high pitched voice to make dumb noises?

Holy crap, did she inhale helium?

By the way, the game looks fantastic.

Markoman

Since when did Pikachu learn to speak Japanese? Otherwise great video and destruction is in the game, so big relief.

Shifty

She sounds about 9 but if it's the same one from the EDF5 reveal show then she's a grown adult.

What is the point of this game lol?

The EDF Series are spoofs/parodies/homages to old pulp sci-fi films, godzilla, starship troopers etc. The whole point is to kill the bugs and save the earth with your tongue firmly in your cheek. :)

I hope they can still throw enough enemies at you to turn the game into a slideshow even on modern hardware :D

ShinZed

The EDF Series are spoofs/parodies/homages to old pulp sci-fi films, godzilla, starship troopers etc. The whole point is to kill the bugs and save the earth with your tongue firmly in your cheek. :)

Don't forget the part where you 'save' the world by levelling most of the city as you kill the bugs! :p

Have you seen Starship Troopers before?

I hope they can still throw enough enemies at you to turn the game into a slideshow even on modern hardware :D

My point was moreso about what is the point of this to coexist with edf5. Im well aware of the series. It just looks like a tamer but better looking version. Was it really necessary to make such a thing?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
That looks far too polished with like 5 - 10 ants at most onscreen

#NotmyEDF.

Couldn't be any worse than Insect Armageddon though

Over only ever played IDF on Vita and it was a hoot. Ordered 4.1 on PS4 earlier this week because it was $20 on Amazon. Can't wait to try it.

This looks like it'll be good as well. Love me some cheesy light hearted fun.

I like how much more creative this looks. That weird enemy is the most out there thing I've seen in EDF, that bug looked to be laying eggs and was that an ant hill made out of buildings?

The only thing is that I hope the updated graphics doesn't decrease the amount of enemies on screen too much.

Dwayne

Played both today. From what I played it doesn't get nearly as chaotic as EDF5 which takes away some of the fun.
EDF5 absolutely blew me away. The new armoured giant humanoid-like aliens made me feel like I was playing Gantz, so awesome.

Played both today. From what I played it doesn't get nearly as chaotic as EDF5 which takes away some of the fun.
EDF5 absolutely blew me away. The new armoured giant humanoid-like aliens made me feel like I was playing Gantz, so awesome.

I will trade less chaos for much better looking graphics. I still love classic style EDF though. That female announcer is annoying AF. I wish she would shut the hell up!

Iron Rain sounds like a skip then.

Jackpot

Banned

So what's its USP? Cinematic story? More characterisation?

Dwayne

I will trade less chaos for much better looking graphics. I still love classic style EDF though. That female announcer is annoying AF. I wish she would shut the hell up!

EDF5 has improved graphics too. More detailed buildings, more visual damage when attacking enemies.
Probably should note I felt like Iron Rain was running at 1080p. There was something weird going on with the graphics, when I'd rotate the camera there was a semi-dither looking effect, can't quite place what it was, but it didn't look right.
Still had fun with Iron Rain, I'll pickup both. They had a cool pray mantis 'boss' enemy that appeared after clearing the bugs, the game took over the camera briefly to look up at the sky to see it getting dropped off, something that doesn't happen in EDF usually.

Dwayne

So what's its USP? Cinematic story? More characterisation?
It's like a Hollywood version of EDF. The opening cutscene helped establish the feeling that I was the hero, which felt different to EDF5 where I'm just amongst the chaos of it all. Explosions are giant and take over the screen, bugs seem to have canned death animations probably to make them look cooler. It felt 'big budget' compared to EDF. UI was slicker too, EDF5 has this kinda dumb recycle looking reticle that appears when you're reloading, rotating and all, centre of the screen, while this game reuses the 'current weapon' UI panel and shows the reload progress. I think it might work as a gateway to introduce more players to EDF, which is always good.

Danneee

It looks like EDF 4.1 with post processing and loads of motion blur.
I do like the more fantastical enemy design though. And more EDF is never a bad thing.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Why no one told me that the (no more)new Robocop is in game?
robocop3.jpg

Mossybrew

Splitscreen co-op still in EDF5 I'm assuming? Curious if it's in Iron Rain too.

These games have been a staple of couch co-op for me and my son for years.

BigEmil

Just because it turned into 30fps(?) with more graphics doesn't mean it got more budget

EDF4 had lots of game content and gameplay which they focused on at 60fps also being cross-gen, now they are using current gen level visual effects with less frame rate. But we have to see the gameplay content and gameplay

mas8705

Hopefully, we'll see a release date soon for EDF:IR soon for the west. Definitely does look like a vast improvement already over previous titles (at least in terms of the graphics).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Just because it turned into 30fps(?) with more graphics doesn't mean it got more budget

EDF4 had lots of game content and gameplay which they focused on at 60fps also being cross-gen, now they are using current gen level visual effects with less frame rate. But we have to see the gameplay content and gameplay
EDF 4.1 regularly dropped to the teens unless you played it on PC.

Top Bottom