• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thanks for the 25 cents on my birthday, Microsoft.

This crazy thing here is... but they're giving you money, for what amounts to nothing.

Sure, MS sales, Bing Rewards, Xbox Rewards, and the monthly rebate might stick you with crazy points... But when you get Birthday points, rebate points, and Bing Reward points, all those little 10s, 20s, 80s, 100s, 400s, and such from each place add up to free games or DLC every once in a while.

At the smallest, I've gotten Bulletwitch DLC with such points (Yeah, suprisingly enough, the game has 20 MSP DLC). Then onto 80pts indie games, and 200, 400, and 800 pts sales or specials, just off points from these promotions. Not to mention there's been more "160 pts on sale!" style stuff recently, which helps hit those odd numbers.

Sure, Sony lets you add those extra dollars when you need to make a purchase... but Microsoft lets me get those few extra dollars from them, so I don't even have to dip into my own wallet.

I'd love it if MS took some tips from how Sony is handling PS+ when it comes to freebies, but at the same time, I'd like it if Sony gave me more ways to earn some free credits from them every once in a while, too...

...in the end though, I'm glad both companies are helping lower the cost of being a multi-platform owner. Free games on PS+ here, Free games through Free MS points there, A Crossbuy game on PSN (making it easier to have a game on Vita and PS3)... it all works out nicely. And it just gets better as these kind of deals become more prevalent.

So, bring on the freebies!
The thing is, even with all the ways of getting these points, I don't need such a thing from Sony because their sale prices are fucking great anyway.

Hell, buy 100 dollars worth of content, get 20 dollars back. 20%

That's big bucks we're talking about, not a paltry 20msp. I bought Sound Shapes and Papo y Yo and got 3 bucks back. Out of 30 bucks? That's 10% back.

No need for pennies when I save dollars.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So let's see... when I'm 40 these gifts will have accumulated into a pot that could cover half an xbla game.

Monocle

So let's see... when I'm 40 these gifts will have accumulated into a pot that could cover half an xbla game.
This has deeply troubling implications. For the sake of your country's economy, please find a way to stop aging.

bumpkin

A free meal at 99 Restaurant or a free combo meal at Taco Bell? I've never heard of either of these... Do they not advertise 'em so that they don't have to honor 'em?

At any rate, yeah, 20 MSP is a pretty useless "gift."

Better than what Sony gave me.

i been using psn for maybe 3 years occasional buying some psn games, and over that course i got 2 1 week trails for psn+ where i played the shit out of free games they were offering like sonic and final fantasy, this month they gave me 1 month free of psn+ so now i am playing borderlands like an addict would never try this game otherwise but its addicting like crack and there are few more games to try for free go to love sony

web01

Pretty pathetic, they could give you 400 and it wouldn't hurt them.
Looks bad giving away such a ridiculously small amount.

SSReborn

i been using psn for maybe 3 years occasional buying some psn games, and over that course i got 2 1 week trails for psn+ where i played the shit out of free games they were offering like sonic and final fantasy, this month they gave me 1 month free of psn+ so now i am playing borderlands like an addict would never try this game otherwise but its addicting like crack and there are few more games to try for free go to love sony

Oh yeah they did give me a Free 1 month PS Plus too as of 2 weeks ago (its wasn't my birthday) but silly old me deleted my PSN messages completely forgetting it was in there. I already had plus but if I hadn't I would've been able to download their instant game collection which includes Infamous 2, LBP2, Borderlands 2 etc. and whatever other goodies and discounts (Day 1 digital discounts) they had going at the time.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
its interesting how people are complaining more now that they have actually started doing bonuses and giving you birthday stuff, than when they didnt,

i guess the phase is now people will want more n more

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DM you didn't post this on reddit or post it from reddit, right? Because I could swear the same mental anguish was posted on reddit today. :lol

I knew MS wouldn't give a good deal out for the birthday stuff. JUST KNEW. So I'm glad I called that but am :lol -ing at the fact that they think that's a decent trade-off after the numerous years of shit people have given them for no rewards for achievements and the like.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

sAdxO.jpg

wildfire

Banned
its interesting how people are complaining more now that they have actually started doing bonuses and giving you birthday stuff, than when they didnt,

i guess the phase is now people will want more n more

It's not interesting at all. A lot of people had the same reaction to the Angry Birds company sending a sweatjacket to the guy who built the platform they based their game on. Most people here don't like it when you give a thoughtless gift.

Dipswitch

I'm firmly in this camp. It's insulting is what it is. You don't get people to further invest in your ecosystem by tossing them $0.50 worth of credit on their birthday.

I've been a Live Gold member since it first came into being on the original Xbox and I can tell you that receiving that same offer on my birthday would annoy me far more than it would ever please me.

Mikey Jr.

I'm firmly in this camp. It's insulting is what it is. You don't get people to further invest in your ecosystem by tossing them $0.50 worth of credit on their birthday.

I've been a Live Gold member since it first came into being on the original Xbox and I can tell you that receiving that same offer on my birthday would annoy me far more than it would ever please me.

Woah, woah, 50 cents? Come on now. Ms isnt made of money here.

Its so odd the 2 services between psn+ and live. One service gives you full retail games every month, and the other gives you 25 cents on your birthday.

Woorloog

Banned
Duh, if i had 20 more MSP, i could actually get something (like Minecraft skin pack). I don't.
And there is no XBL rewards program in Finland.
Be happy you get something for paying for Gold, many don't get anything for it.

That said, 20MSP as birthday gift can be seen insulting...

Top Bottom