• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That one time a foreign military set foot in main land USA after WWII

Merlin_9346232.jpg

Trump's morning twitter storm about the USA needing "THE WALL" to defend themselves from Mexico being "one of the highest crime nations in the world" it got me thinking about how this xenophobic asshole has never said anything concrete thats positive about US-Mexico relations other than "I have great business in Mexico, they're great". So I decided to share this story on GAF since I figure so many Americans dont know about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw34ANHrIAE

Back in 2005 something happened in the US that hadn't happened since World War II. And that was when foreign military units set foot in US soil.

"Why?" I hear you shouting. I'm glad you asked. After the devastating events of Hurricane Katrina Mexico sent 500 soldiers to feed victims of Hurrican Katrina. They stayed for close to a month and delivered 184,000 tons of food and supplies. They provided thousands of meals and offered free medical consultations.having helped tens of thousands affected by the hurricane.

The last time a Mexican army walked in the US was when they marched on San Antonio in 1836. Let that sink in for a moment.

Here's an excerpt from a WP article about this:
In a scene that would have given Donald Trump heart palpitations, 200 flag-waving Mexican troops breached the U.S. border outside Laredo, Tex., 10 years ago and advanced unopposed up Interstate 35 to San Antonio.

It was the first time a Mexican army had marched on San Antonio since 1836 when Gen. Santa Ana massacred besieged Texas independence fighters at the Alamo.

This time, however, the Mexican soldiers were on a relief mission to feed tens of thousands of homeless and hungry Americans displaced by Hurricane Katrina. Setting up camp at a former Air Force base outside San Antonio, they distributed potable water, medical supplies and 7,000 hot meals a day for the next three weeks.

If this doesn’t sound like the Mexico you’ve been hearing about lately — the one that has been ripping America off, the one that sends rapists and criminals across the border — you might want to consider this little-known gesture of humanity from our abused southern neighbor as you think about Katrina 10 years later.

I was serving as the No. 2 at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City in August 2005 when Katrina made landfall on the Gulf Coast. The storm’s track posed no danger to Mexico, and we followed events like most expatriate Americans — aghast, but at a distance.

But not Mexicans. They were watching the same scenes of floating corpses and botched relief efforts in New Orleans. My chief contact at Mexico’s Foreign Ministry called to say the Mexican army had two field kitchens that could feed storm victims who had made their way to Texas, he said, and the navy had two ships that could help with cleanup efforts in New Orleans.

To put this in context, the United States likes to think of itself as the country that does the helping, as we had done when Mexico City was struck by a devastating earthquake in 1985. But few had contemplated the possibility that Mexico would be coming to help us … The 45-vehicle convoy crossed the border at Laredo at dawn on Sept. 8 and arrived in San Antonio later that day. The only glitch was that the USDA would not allow the Mexicans to serve the beef they had brought because they couldn’t prove it had been produced in a mad-cow-free facility. Undeterred — and un-insulted — the Mexicans bought their beef locally.

By the time their mission in San Antonio ended Sept. 25, the Mexicans had served 170,000 meals, helped distribute more than 184,000 tons of supplies and conducted more than 500 medical consultations.

Disasters such as Hurricane Katrina, or the spectacle of U.S. presidential politics, often force to the surface the true character of the players. The Mexicans proved they were neighbors we can count on.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/when-mexicans-crossed-our-border-to-feed-our-hungry/2015/08/28/347342e4-4cee-11e5-84df-923b3ef1a64b_story.html?utm_term=.399b5864e0d1

For some reason there was little coverage of these efforts in the American media. We should remember these moments of collaboration between these two nations now more than ever. How many countries in the world would give an arm and a leg to be able to have neighbors who like them? The US is fortunate enough as to have both Canada and Mexico as friends but it seems Trump want's to fuck this up.

2005_09_13_KATRINA_NewOrleansLA_BushwithMexicanArmy_0002.jpg

foto_49.jpg

050909-N-4374S-008_-_U.S._Navy_sailors_and_Mexican_marines_cleaning_up_hurricane_debris.jpg

050909-F-3340B-001.jpg

mexico-hurricane-katrina-865x452.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I wouldn't be surprised if Mexico helped again after Harvey finishes fucking shit up, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Mexico didn't (just kidding they seem to be a good country and would help in spite of our cunty president, tho he would probably fuck that up to and have them deported).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I wouldn't be surprised if Mexico helped again after Harvey finishes fucking shit up, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Mexico didn't (just kidding they seem to be a good country and would help in spite of our cunty president, tho he would probably fuck that up to and have them deported).
Trump would not let them help.

I know you're half joking but this is true. Trump's hateful rhetoric against Mexico is not making matters easier. I do see him denying the Mexican army entry because he doesnt need help because America can heal itself or some shit.

g23

European pre-madonna
Holy shit that's really cool.

I also remember Cuba offering to send doctors during the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.

Sounds like a great story, to remind everyone that we're all human.
Would be a great time for the media to spread this story again, they never will though.

Just as an aside, you have a "7000 meals" in the OP which should be "170,000 meals" judging from the article.

Sounds like a great story, to remind everyone that we're all human.
Would be a great time for the media to spread this story again, they never will though.

Just as an aside, you have a "7000 meals" in the OP which should be "170,000 meals" judging from the article.

The video said 7,000 but Im inclined to believe the WP numbers more. I changed it to "thousands of meals".

I knew I should've posted a more click-bait-y title. I was afraid that this thread, just as the event itself, it would be overlooked and paid little attention to.

Espada

Damn, I did not know about this at all. It's crazy how little coverage this got, you'd imagine a neighboring country's military coming to help would've been bigger news.

I do not understand why some in this country want to piss off our neighbors when so many nations around the world wish they had friendly nations alongside theirs.

cameron

There's another article, WaPo: Mexican troops saved American lives after Katrina. Would Trump let them do it after Harvey?
For many Americans, Harvey is bringing back memories of Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Nearly 2,000 people died in the aftermath of that storm. The U.S. government and Federal Emergency Management Agency's response to Katrina was widely criticized, but Americans came together to offer housing, clothing, meals and monetary help to the affected. President George W. Bush even accepted a huge offer of aid from Mexico.

The aid Mexico sent was no small thing — it was an extraordinary gesture, and it may have saved many lives. Marking the first time that Mexican troops had set foot on U.S. soil since the Mexican-American War in 1846, President Vicente Fox sent an army convoy and a naval vessel laden with food, water and medicine. By the end of their three-week operation in Louisiana and Mississippi, the Mexicans had served 170,000 meals, helped distribute more than 184,000 tons of supplies and conducted more than 500 medical consultations.
“Mexico and the United States are nations which are neighbors and friends which should always have solidarity in moments of difficulty,” Fox told NBC News at the time.

Fast forward to now, as deadly Hurricane Harvey pummels the greater Houston area. The United States now has a president who kicked off his election campaign with a speech that denigrated Mexicans. A president who has been vociferously assailed by Fox. And, as his tweets on Sunday revealed, a president who will take time to bully and belittle Mexicans while a catastrophe unfolds in his own country.
The Mexican government has not directly addressed the situation in Texas — with the storm underway, U.S. allies around the world may be waiting for the full extent of the disaster to be known before offering help. The Mexican Embassy in Washington was unable to comment for this report.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
yea a more tantalizing title might've helped this one out. Though, the idea of a foreign military on US soil should be interest piquing. Seemingly it is not.

Late Flag

As a Mexican I never even knew about this. Unreal how little coverage this received.

I'm an American, and I had no idea this happened either. Great to see a time when there was a strong alliance between our two nations. (There still is, except for the dickhead in the White House at the moment).

Russia will be the next country joining that list, and for the wrong reasons.

Funny you say that. In 2012, the Russian VDV(Paratroopers) were invited to Fort Carson, Colorado to train with the US Special Forces. It was a sight that would be considered unfathomable during the Cold War and probably today. This was obviously before the annexation of Crimea and the War in Ukraine.
There are a lot of countries that come to the US to do military training since the US has one of the largest live fire training areas in the desert so technically there are multiple foreign militaries setting foot here every year.

For some reason there was little coverage of these efforts in the American media. We should remember these moments of collaboration between these two nations now more than ever. How many countries in the world would give an arm and a leg to be able to have neighbors who like them? The US is fortunate enough as to have both Canada and Mexico as friends but it seems Trump want's to fuck this up.

I remember this being in the media back then. It was a big deal, and Katrina was all over TV for a long time. I agree that it is an act of compassion the US should not forget.

Eusis

Trump would not let them help.
If he does this then this needs to be spread far and wide. Especially with that picture of Bush shaking hands with their military; this is why Bush can still be called a president even while being a shitty one.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mexican Army consistently helps in disaster relief all throughout Central America and the Caribbean. It's one of the few things about our government a Mexican can be proud of.

fester

Banned
Damn, I totally missed that back when it happened. Looks like we burned an important bridge in pursuit of a racist wall.

It's a feel good story but I don't understand its relevancy. On Twitter people seem to be using it as a knock against the wall / deporting illegal immigrants but I don't get how the two things are related in any way except for... Involving Mexico.

I'm an American, and I had no idea this happened either. Great to see a time when there was a strong alliance between our two nations. (There still is, except for the dickhead in the White House at the moment).

Well I was born and raised in the states so yeah lol. But was genuinely surprised to see this.

It's a feel good story but I don't understand its relevancy. On Twitter people seem to be using it as a knock against the wall / deporting illegal immigrants but I don't get how the two things are related in any way except for... Involving Mexico.
The fact that most of us haven't even heard about it is a problem made worse by Trump continuously slandering the Mexican people in order to get support for his ridiculous wall. It's important for people to see the another side of Mexico and not the awful one presented by Trump.

Kite

There are a lot of countries that come to the US to do military training since the US has one of the largest live fire training areas in the desert so technically there are multiple foreign militaries setting foot here every year.
Exactly, the unit I was in at JBLM helped host Japanese and Indian military personnel who came to train with our Strykers. Germany has a training center on a US Airbase in New Mexico, and Singapore has a large number of their planes in the US. Thei Chinooks were also sent to help in Katrina rescue operations. And a bunch of dirty Canadians are at NORAD. Essentially all our NATO allies and a bunch of friendly Pacific and African countries have troops on US soil at all times so..

entremet

Man, Trump is terrible human being. I can’t believe he’s making the Bush Administration something we long for.

There's an American president who amidst the worst hurricane to hit the US in a decade he decided to tweet just this morning about Mexico being crime infested and how he needs THE WALL. Then I posted in this thread how the army of that country Trump has insulted so much entered the United States to help hurricane Katrina victims in 2005... the same week Harvey is yet to stop causing floods in Texas. How is this NOT relevant?

I too hope very much that if Mexico offers to send help again and Trump refuses that it explodes on the media.

old

Trump needs to learn his successors will treat his wall the same way he treats Obamacare. Future presidents are going to underfund it, neglect it, or outright act to destroy it.

It's going to be high on their "undo stupid shit Trump did" list.

cameron

Statement by Mexico's Secretariat of Foreign Affairs, Press Release 326
With regard to this morning's remarks by the United States President on various issues of the bilateral relationship, the Foreign Ministry states the following:

1. As the Mexican government has repeatedly stated, our country will not pay in any way or under any circumstance for a wall or physical barrier built on United States territory along the border with Mexico. This decision is not part of Mexico's negotiating strategy, but rather a principle of sovereignty and national dignity.

2. Regarding the violence in Mexico caused by the illegal trafficking in drugs, weapons and money between our countries, we reiterate that it is a shared problem that will only end if its root causes are addressed: the high demand for drugs in the United States and the supply from Mexico (and other countries). International criminal organizations have caused the deaths of thousands of Mexicans, including members of the Armed Forces and the police, and of thousands of Americans. Only based on the principles of shared responsibility, teamwork and mutual trust can we overcome this challenge.

3. Mexico's position at the renegotiating table on the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) will continue to be a responsible and constructive one, while always putting national interest first and seeking an outcome in which all three North American countries win.

4. Mexico will not negotiate NAFTA or any other aspect of the bilateral relationship on social media or other communications media.

The government of Mexico takes this opportunity to extend its sympathy to the people and government of the United States for the damages caused by Hurricane Harvey in Texas, and reports that we have offered the United States government any help and cooperation that can be provided by the various governmental agencies in Mexico to deal with the consequences of this natural disaster, as good neighbors should always do in times of difficulty.

Funny you say that. In 2012, the Russian VDV(Paratroopers) were invited to Fort Carson, Colorado to train with the US Special Forces. It was a sight that would be considered unfathomable during the Cold War and probably today. This was obviously before the annexation of Crimea and the War in Ukraine.

Yeah when I was at Pearl Harbor, there were like three JSDF warships docked for exercises near the Arizona memorial.

In Trump's Republican party this is just proof that GWB let himself get cucked by Mexico and is further evidence that we need the wall to loudly say we don't need their help because we're stronger and tougher. 7th dimensional backgammon.

The US is like one of those clueless people with everything going their way in life complaining about the smallest of things. We really are the envy of the world. It's hard to imagine how many hundreds of millions of people wished they had neighbors like Mexico and Canada, two huge oceans protecting their borders from invasion, etc.

Exactly, the unit I was in at JBLM helped host Japanese and Indian military personnel who came to train with our Strykers. Germany has a training center on a US Airbase in New Mexico, and Singapore has a large number of their planes in the US. Thei Chinooks were also sent to help in Katrina rescue operations. And a bunch of dirty Canadians are at NORAD. Essentially all our NATO allies and a bunch of friendly Pacific and African countries have troops on US soil at all times so..
I wish there some post-apocalyptic fiction that took this into account. Imagine there being enclaves of various nations in the former US Southwest.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
As opposed to right now, the time an aspiring dictator destroys a strategic relationship with an ally just to throw red meat to racists.

OT: thanks Mexico

Top Bottom