• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That time Sega accidentally ported Daytona 3 home and didn't realize it...

VGEsoterica

Sometimes Sega FINALLY comes through with home ports of some of their awesome arcade games. It's rare but every so often they give fans what they are asking for...and sometimes they don't even realize they are doing it lolol

The story : remember when arcade games ran on exotic hardware that you didn't have access to at home? While I remember and love those days today it's just a PC in a cabinet; less exciting hardware wise but MUCH easier port wise. Since these games are connected to the internet they receive updates that operators can install to add new features / patch bugs / etc etc. So Sega uploaded the newest version of Daytona USA 3 to their arcade website, put the link in...and just published it...for ANYONE to download. After some fixes to get it controlling via keyboard or a gamepad...suddenly Daytona USA 3 was playable on a Windows machine at home!

Sega ported their own game for the fans without ever actually realizing it! Probably the funniest and strangest gaming story I'd ever heard in regards to arcade games and ports.

From a preservation standpoint though arcade games running on PC hardware will make it infinitely easier to keep these games around and enjoyed for decades to come. No more emulating esoteric and complex chipsets...now it's just bog standard pc components and a few driver tweaks. Definitely an improvement even if some of that "arcade hardware magic" has been lost to time!

But hey...I guess we can't say Sega never gives the fans what they want! It's just that sometimes they don't know they are doing it in the first place haha

VGEsoterica

Every single arcade from 2005+ is a de facto home game, since they're Windows/Linux games. Once you crack the dongle and the IO there's barely any difference with Steam games, aside outdated APIs.

IIRC Daytona 3 was an Europa-R game, like Ford Racing: Full Blown.

that’s why I wish we got more ports. I get there needs to be some form of exclusiveness as to not compete with arcade operators but after maybe 3 years porting these games to steam would be such an easy exercise

Kazza

I'm not sure that it's too surprising that hype for the game died down so quickly, it is just an arcade game after all (which sadly doesn't count for much these days). House of the Dead got a new release too (Scarlet Dawn), and although the reviews were good for that one as well, it too isn't really talked about. The first two Daytona's really were technical marvels in their day (especially the first one), but I can't remember the last time any arcade game really blew away contemporary console/PC games like those did. Daytona 3 looks really nice, but it's nothing special from a purely technical standpoint (same with HotD: Scarlet Dawn).

I like that you let the gameplay speak for itself for a couple of minutes, but would have liked a bit of discussion of the new tracks (I understand there are 3 of them, plus remastered versions of the 3 originals).

I don't see any reason why this and HotD:SD can't be released for sale for the PC (I won't even use the word "port" here, since they are already running on the PC). Release it on PC and consoles and I think it would earn a decent amount of money for Sega for very little effort.

A Daytona collection is way overdue:
Daytona (arcade)
Daytona CCE (Saturn)
Daytona 2 (arcade)
Daytona 2001 (Dreamcast)
Daytona 3 (arcade)

RAIDEN1

It would be nice if Sega got off their butts and decided to port Daytona 2 more than 20 years on.....its not exactly a shameful entry in the series...

Reactions: RNG

VGEsoterica

I'm not sure that it's too surprising that hype for the game died down so quickly, it is just an arcade game after all (which sadly doesn't count for much these days). House of the Dead got a new release too (Scarlet Dawn), and although the reviews were good for that one as well, it too isn't really talked about. The first two Daytona's really were technical marvels in their day (especially the first one), but I can't remember the last time any arcade game really blew away contemporary console/PC games like those did. Daytona 3 looks really nice, but it's nothing special from a purely technical standpoint (same with HotD: Scarlet Dawn).

I like that you let the gameplay speak for itself for a couple of minutes, but would have liked a bit of discussion of the new tracks (I understand there are 3 of them, plus remastered versions of the 3 originals).

I don't see any reason why this and HotD:SD can't be released for sale for the PC (I won't even use the word "port" here, since they are already running on the PC). Release it on PC and consoles and I think it would earn a decent amount of money for Sega for very little effort.

A Daytona collection is way overdue:
Daytona (arcade)
Daytona CCE (Saturn)
Daytona 2 (arcade)
Daytona 2001 (Dreamcast)
Daytona 3 (arcade)

I really hope we get a port of Scarlet Dawn. Sega has never NOT brought the HotD entries home, but there is only one place in Chicago that has a cabinet and they've been closed due to the pandemic and who knows if they will ever open back up.

But yes, arcades are no longer about "Graphics"...as they are just mid range PC's. The GPU in my system I am typing this on is normally more powerful than anything anyone would put into a 2020 arcade cabinet. So it's down to the "experience"....wheels and pedals to race on, giant guns to hold and shoot at the screen, etc etc

It's still a bit of a bummer to me. The best tech used to be in arcades. Now it's sitting in your PC

McCheese

They don't get "ported" to PC due to licencing issues I believe, they are developed with some weird commission-based structure which makes them a legal nightmare to release outside of arcades. Back when they developed everything in-house via their AM teams, the home ports went out of fashion around the PS2/Dreamcast era, I remember they did a really great home conversion of F355, but the reviewers all slated it for lack of content and it under-performed in sales.

VGEsoterica

Speaking of rainbows, they really made the cabinet really colorful. Can’t say I love it but it’s a look
zMxHO0v.jpg

Kazza

Really? I remember reading somewhere that it was basically a D2 port with extra tracks and modes.

All these years and it was a lie. I feel betrayed :messenger_grinning_smiling:

IIRC, it contains the original 3 tracks from the arcade, the 2 extra tracks from the Saturn CCE edition, plus 3 exclusive tracks.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Every single arcade from 2005+ is a de facto home game, since they're Windows/Linux games. Once you crack the dongle and the IO there's barely any difference with Steam games, aside outdated APIs.

IIRC Daytona 3 was an Europa-R game, like Ford Racing: Full Blown.

Sad end to the arcade world IMO, where from the beginning up until the early 2000s, arcades ledthe path forward for vidya hardware.

TriSuit666

Banned
Pity SEGA learned their lesson for the updated edition of Daytona 3 - 'New Season Edition', that looks a lot better than V1.0.

stranno

Sad end to the arcade world IMO, where from the beginning up until the early 2000s, arcades ledthe path forward for vidya hardware.
Model series probably contributed a lot to the Sega crash of early-00s, along with Saturn, Dreamcast and many other expensive projects. And cheap hardware like Ring series or console based hardware (not the Naomi but certainly the Atomiswave or the Triforce) didn't really work that well, they hosted really terrible games, like Mario Kart Arcade GP series.

Last edited:

replicant-

Sometimes Sega FINALLY comes through with home ports of some of their awesome arcade games. It's rare but every so often they give fans what they are asking for...and sometimes they don't even realize they are doing it lolol

I'd just like to say I really enjoy your videos :)

I'm also embarrassed to say I didn't know Daytona 3 existed!

Last edited:

dan76

Great thread. I think the reason most of these games don't get ported must be to do with arcade operators. An arcade operator isn't going to shell out for a new game if 6 months down the line it's on PS4. They need exclusives to keep the arcades going, so I don't think we will be seeing a port of Scarlet Dawn any time soon unfortunately - though its only a matter of time before it's emulated.

That new Exa arcade platform has done this by ensuring that any game ported to the system has exclusive content that's will never be available outside of the arcade.

As for an arcade game that's blew me away recently I'd say Star Wars Battle Pod looked pretty damn good.

lock2k

Banned
What are the minimum specs to run it? I'm going PC soon and it won't be the most powerful machine but I'll have fun with emulators. What a great story!!

VGEsoterica

Great thread. I think the reason most of these games don't get ported must be to do with arcade operators. An arcade operator isn't going to shell out for a new game if 6 months down the line it's on PS4. They need exclusives to keep the arcades going, so I don't think we will be seeing a port of Scarlet Dawn any time soon unfortunately - though its only a matter of time before it's emulated.

That new Exa arcade platform has done this by ensuring that any game ported to the system has exclusive content that's will never be available outside of the arcade.

As for an arcade game that's blew me away recently I'd say Star Wars Battle Pod looked pretty damn good.

which makes total sense, but at some point (3 years? 5 years?) they should be able to port it home.

Star Wars battle pod was a fun game. I checked it out in Chicago a few years ago. Really interesting concept with the giant cylindrical screens and movements.

VGEsoterica

2017 also saw another sequel to Cruis'n USA. Cruis'n Blast was released in arcades.

Raw Thrills is such an odd company. Outside of light gun hunting games every other arcade game they put out is meh. The zombie levels in one of the buck hunters was pretty bad, the cruis’n games look nice but don’t have the same charm they used to.

I mean I’m glad they are trying but I just always feel like they are lacking in some ways

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The latest Cruis'n is published by Nintendo. Switch port incoming?

Is Daytona 3 still available to download? Wanna play that game.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkylineRKR

What are the minimum specs to run it? I'm going PC soon and it won't be the most powerful machine but I'll have fun with emulators. What a great story!!

The game runs decent on my Ryzen 7 Vega 10 integrated laptop. A 1050 probably kills it already. Its a bit mediocre honestly. Like SR3 I don't hate it, but it feels pedestrian compared to its predecessors. Its a bit bland and lacks that classic Sega arcade presentation.

Patrick S.

Banned
The game runs decent on my Ryzen 7 Vega 10 integrated laptop. A 1050 probably kills it already. Its a bit mediocre honestly. Like SR3 I don't hate it, but it feels pedestrian compared to its predecessors. Its a bit bland and lacks that classic Sega arcade presentation.
Also the controls are quite twitchy. But I like it as a kind of a Daytona USA remaster.

VGEsoterica

The latest Cruis'n is published by Nintendo. Switch port incoming?

Is Daytona 3 still available to download? Wanna play that game.

id imagine it’s just licensed. Nintendo owns “Cruin’s” so they probably just take $$ to let Raw Thrills use the franchise name, since it carries a lot of weight in arcades

VGEsoterica

yeah on my 1080 and my old i7 4790k it ran perfectly. No frame rate counter but it easily felt like 60 FPS. Granted I don’t know if the game is locked to a frame rate or just allowed to run at whatever rate it wants but I’d assumed locked

Patrick S.

Banned
I'd like to know this as well

Downloaded it yesterday. It has a huge thread on some mostly French language forum mentioned in one of the first comments in the YouTube video linked in post #2. You need to register, but it was super painless. Runs great even on a 3GB GTX 970M.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Downloaded it yesterday. It has a huge thread on some mostly French language forum mentioned in one of the first comments in the YouTube video linked in post #2. You need to register, but it was super painless. Runs great even on a 3GB GTX 970M.
not there anymore, at least I couldnt find the comment

TriSuit666

Banned
2017 also saw another sequel to Cruis'n USA. Cruis'n Blast was released in arcades.

That was leaked along with the entire Raw Thrills catalogue (in operator installer ISO’s) a couple of weeks ago, it I think it’s been kept on the down low.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

That was leaked along with the entire Raw Thrills catalogue (in operator installer ISO’s) a couple of weeks ago, it I think it’s been kept on the down low.

not Surprised. They all seem to leak. Except for the most recent Castlevania arcade game. I’ve seen the cab three times and all three times it’s been out of order. Never gotta get to play that damn game

Top Bottom