• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That's No Moon (Ex-Naughty Dog and Santa Monica Devs) Working on AAA Game Based on Popular IP

thats-no-moon-studio-new-game.jpg

Newly-established development studio That’s No Moon is working on a AAA game based on a popular existing IP, according to a former writer for the mystery project. That’s No Moon was founded in 2021 by industry veterans from studios like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio, Infinity Ward, and more.

That’s No Moon wants to “push the limits” of gameplay and story​

The revelation of That’s No Moon’s debut game being based on a popular existing IP comes from former writer Andrew M Henderson, who claims to have “just finished” a 15-month stint writing for the studio. Henderson disclosed this information on Stage32 — a website that hosts creative classes — where he will be lecturing on building a career in games writing.

“Teaching you everything you need to know about the craft and business of writing for video games is Andrew Henderson, a working Video Game writer who is one of the writers on the new AAA-game studio game That’s No Moon based on popular existing intellectual property,” reads a description of the class.

Not much is known about That’s No Moon’s game other than it has already secured funding for its project. The studio previously promised to deliver an action-adventure game “that will push the limits of both gameplay and story.”

Topher

Gold Member
I was just thinking the same thing and Respawn is the only one that came to mind who actually amounted to something

And in that case, we are talking about the actual founders of Infinity Ward starting over with the aptly named Respawn.

I don't think we've ever seen a period of time where licensed IP were handled so well, that being said, I think there are limitations to that.

It's VERY expensive to use licensed IP and so these games really have to perform at a high level and while they come with built in fanbases, that doesn't guarantee that these fanbases will turn out on day 1 to buy a game at 70 dollars unless the game is itself highly rated.

We will see. I think I've forgotten more studios made up of "former veterans" of well-known studios than I recall ever making anything worth while

Just because you founded a successful studio or came from a successful studio doesn't mean you'll be able to recruit a high number of employees from those studios or recruit successfully in general.

It doesn't mean the new game you're planning will be successful and nothing will hurt a brand-new studio more than a failed first game. Look at Deviation Games who are clearly struggling and have already lost one of their founders before the game even released. That studio is on the brink of closure.

It's really risky to join a start-up studio working on their first game, so you're largely going to get some people who aren't super happy working where they are and some people looking for a job because they're out of work. That isn't always the best and brightest.

You might also not have the funding to hire enough people right out of the gates.

That's No Moon is already at ~200 employees, but you look at Michael Mumbauer and he allegedly failed to build out an internal studio at Sony with full? backing. There might be some easier elements to doing it independently but you'd think creating a new studio with the backing of a publisher or platform holder would come with massive advantages.

geary

That’s No Moon was founded in 2021 by industry veterans from studios like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio, Infinity Ward, and more.

I think i heard this "industry veterans" shit from every new dev studio that flops. If there are "industry veterans" how come almost all their new games flops. And who the hell remains at the studios they leave from..

Top Bottom