• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 15 Netflix Original Series to be Excited About in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzo

That 70s Show is one of my favorite shows of all time so I'm a little curious about that Kutcher & Masterson reunion.

Futureman

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Full House a cheesy sitcom with corny jokes just like Step By Step or Who's The Boss? How can this sequel be any good? Does it involve good writers or something I'm not aware of?

This is a genuine question, I'd like to understand the hype surrounding it!

yes it was corny family television, but it was hugely popular when it aired. It'll probably do well just for nostalgia sake.

Honestly I have no interest in watching though, I do wonder exactly what they consider the target market.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Full House a cheesy sitcom with corny jokes just like Step By Step or Who's The Boss? How can this sequel be any good? Does it involve good writers or something I'm not aware of?

This is a genuine question, I'd like to understand the hype surrounding it!

I don't think Netflix expects it to be good. They made a sequel for the nostalgia folks and to have a family show.

Grizzo

yes it was corny family television, but it was hugely popular when it aired. It'll probably do well just for nostalgia sake.

Honestly I have no interest in watching though, I do wonder exactly what they consider the target market.

I don't think Netflix expects it to be good. They made a sequel for the nostalgia folks and to have a family show.

I see. You're probably right, it only exists for the nostalgia factor. It's just that often see it talked about amongst this board (and this very thread for example) and other websites so I was just wondering if I was missing something

I used to watch Step By Step religiously as a kid, never missing one episode. But I wouldn't care at all about the sequel if it was released today. With that being said to each their own!

Now The Nanny, that was a funny family friendly show.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping Luke Cage turns out better than Jessica Jones.

Does anyone have a list of Netflix original animated/anime shows of 2016?

I'd be more excited for Luke Cage if the actor playing him didn't have the range of a block of cement if his appearance in January Jones is anything to go by. The Get Down sounds like it might have some potential though.

All of these sound mediocre, although I'm sure one or two will turn out to be good.

Disappointed Netflix (or any digital service) didn't pick up Kaufman's show, I'll take that over all of these series easily.

omgkitty

[*]A Series of Unfortunate Events (Late 2016):

What is it? Based on the novels by Daniel Handler (aka, Lemony Snicket), "A Series of Unfortunate Events" focuses on three orphaned kids who fight to overcome their oppressive new "father," Count Olaf, as they search for the real reason for their parents' death.

I'll like it if I like..."Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events" (starring Jim Carrey) and/or Handler's popular novels.

I completely forgot about this. Read through all of them and didn't see anything that really piqued my interest, but was happily surprised to see this at the bottom.

Netflix's output is insane.

That has me a bit worried TBH... I think their original content is great. I hope it continues being great, and all of their new shows are of the same calibre. This would seem like an impossible task however and at least some of them must be mediocre / bad. Hopefully it doesn't dilute their "Netflix Original" brand which thus far (at least IMO) has been stellar.

Tugatrix

Marseille (March)
The Crown (TBD 2016)
Stranger Things (TBD 2016)
Frontier (TBD 2016)
3% (Late 2016)

These piked my interest, the later in portuguese even more, let them come netflix

survivor

Banned
A bit hard to be excited about these shows without any trailers or more info, but based on these short descriptions, 3% seems really promising so far.

But anyway for 2016, I just want more Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and BoJack Horseman.

Quasar

Too much TV. There are just so many quality series being released this year (and last...) that I can't keep up. I'll miss out on quite a few. Not enough time for them all, even if I remove all other hobbies and go full hermit. That's the shitty aspect about it, I feel.

Guess I'm lucky in that there's almost no us tv that targets my interests. I think all I watched this year was Flash, Humans, Agent Carter, Childhoods End and I guess you count The Expanse. Actually it seems like is back on track with Killjoys, Childhoods End, The Expanse and The Magicians.

Which overall is probably good given I need to fit in my anime watching too.

Order

A Series of Unfortunate Events is my most anticipated show for next year. I really hope it doesn't dissapoint.

border

Does Netflix even have more than 15 new shows next year?

When I see an article like this, I have to wonder if the whole thing isn't just completely sponsored by Netflix. They're pushing stuff based on just a synopsis, in many cases.

Jigorath

Banned
Frontier (TBD 2016):

What is it? "Frontier" is a drama following the wild fight over the North American fur trade during the late 18th century. Negotiations are made with violence rather than reason, and the multiple perspectives incorporated to tell the story should provide a voice to everyone involved in the battle, from Native tribes to Europeans.

This sounds interesting. I'm also pretty excited for that Lemony Snicket series.

hydruxo

Netflix is killing it with their shows.

Frontier sounds cool, didn't know that was a thing. Looking forward to Luke Cage and Series of Unfortunate Events.

Also House of Cards S4, Narcos S2, Daredevil S2.

harSon

Banned
I'd be more excited for Luke Cage if the actor playing him didn't have the range of a block of cement if his appearance in January Jones is anything to go by. The Get Down sounds like it might have some potential though.

why you always trying to start shit

linsivvi

[*]The OA (TBD 2016):

What is it? Netflix is keeping a tight lid on the plot of Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij's upcoming drama, but the two have partnered before for the well-received indie films "Sound of My Voice" and "The East." Odds are the eight-episode first season will follow in their thrilling footsteps (and, based on the show's Netflix page, possibly include a wee bit of sensuality).

I'll like it if I like..."Sound of My Voice," "The East" and/or Brit freakin' Marling.

Well I like Another Earth, so I'm in.

Luke_Wal

Until Master of None and Jessica Jones get renewed for Season 2, I'm not interested.

In all seriousness, though, I enjoyed new Netflix series more than I enjoyed any other TV this year. And I watch a LOT of TV. Netflix is killing it.

so fuller house is the gender opposite of full house?

wasnt that show supposed to be funny due to it being three men who dont know how to raise girls?

Apathy

Don't they also got some older series coming back for new seasons as well? Like daredevil and house of cards? Should be a packed year for Netflix

tomtom94

I can barely keep up with all the stuff they put out this year..!

I think some of these will be misses, but there's more than enough in there to please pretty much everyone.

Vashetti

Banned
Don't they also got some older series coming back for new seasons as well? Like daredevil and house of cards? Should be a packed year for Netflix

nevermind_nathan_fillion.gif

bengraven

Frontier (TBD 2016):

What is it? "Frontier" is a drama following the wild fight over the North American fur trade during the late 18th century. Negotiations are made with violence rather than reason, and the multiple perspectives incorporated to tell the story should provide a voice to everyone involved in the battle, from Native tribes to Europeans.

I'll like it if I like... "Hell on Wheels" (pessimistically), "Deadwood" (optimistically)

FUCK YES.

Vyer

There's some interesting stuff in that list. Along with what's returning, Netflix will again be the best value out there.

Mr. Hyde

Stranger Things
Frontier
A Series of Unfortunate Events
The Crown due to Matt Smith

I think those four are my most hyped new Netflix shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom