• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2017 Pulitzer Prize winners have been announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
Courtesy the Pulitzer Prizes. Some of the winners:

Pulitzer Prize for Public Service said:
New York Daily News and ProPublica

For uncovering, primarily through the work of reporter Sarah Ryley, widespread abuse of eviction rules by the police to oust hundreds of people, most of them poor minorities.

Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Reporting said:
Eric Eyre of Charleston Gazette-Mail, Charleston, WV

For courageous reporting, performed in the face of powerful opposition, to expose the flood of opioids flowing into depressed West Virginia counties with the highest overdose death rates in the country.

Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting said:
David A. Fahrenthold of The Washington Post

For persistent reporting that created a model for transparent journalism in political campaign coverage while casting doubt on Donald Trump’s assertions of generosity toward charities.

Pulitzer Prize for International Reporting said:
The New York Times Staff

For agenda-setting reporting on Vladimir Putin’s efforts to project Russia’s power abroad, revealing techniques that included assassination, online harassment and the planting of incriminating evidence on opponents.

Pulitzer Prize for History said:
Blood in the Water: The Attica Prison Uprising of 1971 and Its Legacy, by Heather Ann Thompson (Pantheon)

For a narrative history that sets high standards for scholarly judgment and tenacity of inquiry in seeking the truth about the 1971 Attica prison riots.

Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction said:
Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City, by Matthew Desmond (Crown)

For a deeply researched exposé that showed how mass evictions after the 2008 economic crash were less a consequence than a cause of poverty.

Far more at the link.

It's always a good way to catch up on great articles you might have missed.

Speaking of good writing, these are all great:

Feature Writing

C. J. Chivers of The New York Times
For showing, through an artful accumulation of fact and detail, that a Marine’s postwar descent into violence reflected neither the actions of a simple criminal nor a stereotypical case of PTSD.

Adam Entous and Devlin Barrett of The Wall Street Journal
Eli Saslow of The Washington Post

FWIW, Longform is a great way to find interesting and generally well written articles. Their podcast is also pretty good.

SeanC

Some important works going on out there but most of America is too busy finding out if Mama June has gone from not to hot yet.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Total bullshit that my self-published noir thriller about a baker who secretly kills the women who reject him, The Kneady Breadmaker, didn't get nominated. These things are all political anyways. Just gotta know the right people.

Still, it stings.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I feel Breitbart was robbed on a number of articles like,"Was Hitler really so bad?" and "Donald Trump Cures Cancer With the Truth!"

SummitAve

Banned
Surprised that neither Shane Bauer's border militia or private prison guard undercover stories won one.

I was too, especially the private prison one. That was my favorite read of the year. There are apparently ethical debates about journalists misrepresenting themselves that makes it disqualifying to some extent.

I read The Fighter earlier and couldn't reccomend it enough. Really powerful stuff.

Badosh

I worked with Tyehimba Jess the second semester of my master's program. Amazing guy, better writer. Olio deserved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom