• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 25 Best Films of the 21st Century... So Far (New York Times)

Inside Out...I mean..I just don't get it. It's watchable but nothing special and way too overrated imo. No way in hell this is Pixar's best 21st century film.

I havent watched Million Dollar Baby yet but surprised to see it there. Is it actually that good?

Blader

Inside Out was...alright? I didn't find it that interesting on whole.

Boyhood seems to get tons of accolades for the process of making it, and not much for the actual final product.

Maybe if you're just listening to people who have been parroting RLM's obnoxious one-liners for three years. Most actual reviewers and non-reviewers seem to like the whole thing.

Androidsleeps said:
I havent watched Million Dollar Baby yet but surprised to see it there. Is it actually that good?

Well, I wouldn't say it's third-best-movie-of-the-century good, but when I finally saw it a couple years ago I liked it a lot more than I expected to.

List are purely subjective and all but I found it to be a little curious that the 40 Year Old Virgin was on there rather than something truly noteworthy like City of God.

But then again I haven't seen a lot of the movies that are on that list

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The 40 Year Old Virgin is on this fucking list, but there's no Mulholland Dr.?

- Punch Drunk Love is better than There Will Be Blood
- Boyhood is excellent, and I really don't understand the hate
- Spring Breakers is a glaring omission

Osahi

I've know most of these, and have seen a little more of half of them.

There are films inclued I would never add to my top list, and offcourse there are films missing I think deserve a spot (Children of Men for instance, but also Lost in Translation, ...)

Also was taken aback by the 40 Year Old Virgin. I have never seen it, and always thought it was a typical mainstream comedy without artistic merrit.

And also²: The Boyhood hate is real huh? I found it a very original, touching film, focussing on slices of life. Though I would have exchanged it for Before Sunset in this list I think

Zootopia is far and away the best animated film of this century, and I'd strongly argue it's not even close.

No. Zootopia doesn't hold a candle to Inside Out and Spirited Away. It's a pretty by the books Disney movie. Good, but not a masterpiece by far. The pacing is off for instance, with a pretty boring first half. And the story isn't as half as touching as Inside Out's and Spirited Aways. Those films actually brought me to tears. Zootopia made me giggle at the most.

LionPride

Banned
I'm more shocked at the inclusion of Million Dollar Baby than Boyhood. Though neither really hold up.

Glad to see some more eccentric inclusions though!

Hot Fuzz is better than 40 Year Old Virgin and perhaps the best comedy film of all time.
Hot Fuzz isn't beat comedy of all time. It's possibly top 7

Zootopia is far and away the best animated film of this century, and I'd strongly argue it's not even close.

I strongly disagree, and I see one of the reasons why at #2. Tokyo Godfather is another great one. And if we step away from anime I'd personally give it to The Incredibles.

However I am glad you love Zootopia! It's a great movie that I need to watch again. Excited after seeing your passion for it.

SpaceHorror

There Will Be Blood at number 1, Yi Yi in the top ten, and Mad Max: Fury Road on the list. I'm ok with all that.

Some questionable choices on the list, though.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
They've clearly gone for an alternative list rather than just ticking off the newly canonised choices.

Some great films on there though. Lazarescu, Yi Yi, L'Enfant, Three Times, and Summer Hours are all worth the attention they're drawing to them.

Kurdel

Banned
Logan , The Avengers could make it though.

giphy.gif

Forkball

Ones I've seen:

There Will Be Blood: Definitely a modern classic that will be remembered and talked about forever. Lewis' performance is gripping.

Spirited Away: One of my personal favorite films. It is overflowing with rich imagination and balances the exotic visuals with an enduring message and relateable emotions.

Million Dollar Baby: Eastwood is a brilliant director and while this film probably isn't even in his top five in terms of public opinion, it takes a somewhat boring concept (old guy trains young boxer) and takes it to very unexpected directions. It's a bolder movie than one would assume, and it's filled with amazing performances.

Yi Yi: A superb family drama akin to Ozu that captures the zeitgeist of late 90s Taipei (I assume). This film is one people should study when it comes to using the environment to tell a story.

Munich: This is a good movie about a fascinating subject... but honestly I can't say more than that. I felt like other films have done this movie's themes better. I would still recommend it.

Mad Max Fury Road: The best action movie since The Matrix. This film perfectly uses the action to tell a story instead of just inserting action scenes solely to wake up the audience (something ironically the Matrix sequels did).

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: This is a cult favorite, but I couldn't tell you anything about the movie. I saw it in theatres and thought it was well-made but... it's exited my mind since then.

The 40 Year Old Virgin: I honestly rank this as one of the best comedies ever. Unlike many comedies, it is immensely rewatchable because the characters are likeable, or at least intriguing. It's a sex comedy that is built upon love and genuine emotion, but with a few boob jokes for good measure.

Loxley

Putting aside my own personal bias toward Jackson's LOTR films, I'm genuinely surprised The Fellowship of the Ring isn't on there - especially given some of the other choices.

But hey, Munich is, so I'll take that.

7he Talon

Putting aside my own personal bias toward Jackson's LOTR films, I'm genuinely surprised The Fellowship of the Ring isn't on there - especially given some of the other choices.
I'm more surprised that The Return of the King isn't on there.

Timeaisis

What a weird list. I like Munich and Inside Out legitimately, but...really?

I will say I do love There Will Be Blood, although I don't know if I'd consider that #1 material. I'm kind of disappointed that Llewyn is their de facto Coen choice, considering the rest of their output in the last 17 years.

But it's a surprising list, and I respect that.

Million Dollar Baby sucks

In the Mood for Love, Mulholland Drive, and Fellowship of the Ring are kinda surprising omissions, but I'll take a list of more unexpected picks.

PillarEN

The only one that I think could make it is 'The Dark Knight'.

This is true.

Which reminds me of Heath Ledger and that in turn reminds me of Brokeback Mountain which I'm not shocked isn't on the list but it wouldn't surprise me either if it had been there for various reasons because of its impact back in 2005 or so.

chekhonte

Strange that neither Mulholland Drive nor Inland Empire is on the list which are with out a doubt among the best films of this century.

I understand putting a Coen Bros film on the list but Llewyn Davis is not the one I'd have picked. I would have put A Serious Man well before that.

I'd also swap out Eternal Sunshine for Her

I was so close to being outraged as I got into the 20's with no Eternal Sunshine but then I saw it and the list was redeemed!

PillarEN

The 40 Year Old Virgin is on this fucking list, but there's no Mulholland Dr.?

- Punch Drunk Love is better than There Will Be Blood
- Boyhood is excellent, and I really don't understand the hate
- Spring Breakers is a glaring omission

Punch Drunk over TWBB? Interesting. I think you are going to be alone fighting that fight.

Boyhood. I like it too. Don't care if it's on the list or not.

Spring Breakers. Love it. And I mean I really love this movie, but I could never dream of it being on a NYT list. I'd have to go somewhere else. Maybe like a Pitchfork list or something.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Punch Drunk over TWBB? Interesting. I think you are going to be alone fighting that fight.
No, I'll join Lambtron's team.
Strange that neither Mulholland Drive nor Inland Empire is on the list which are with out a doubt among the best films of this century.

I understand putting a Coen Bros film on the list but Llewyn Davis is not the one I'd have picked. I would have put A Serious Man well before that.

I'd also swap out Eternal Sunshine for Her
I agree about Lynch but I'd say ILD is by far the best Coens film of the 21st century.

Lists like these are mostly about representing the opinions of the critics and putting out a unique take. Yes, there are some weird decisions, but that's more interesting than just putting out a generic list with all the popular choices. At least this one lets us know a little about how the NYT film critics approach film.

Some very good flicks on that list. None of my favourites are on it tho. But There will be blood and Boyhood is extremely overrated by critics. Best thing about Boyhood is the 'It took 12 years to make' meme.

Top Bottom