• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 50 Best Action Movies of the 21st Century Thus Far

Status
Not open for further replies.
The list starts out okay but quickly deteriorates. Some of these simply aren't action movies at all, and Haywire in the top 10 is simply ludicrous. I also found the Mission: Impossible films incredibly generic and bland - some good stunt sequences don't count for much with me if I have zero relationships with the characters and only the thinnest strands of barely coherent plot - and the Michael Mann fetish here is lol.

Rogue Nation was not good (easily the worst mission impossible movie) and blackhat......fucking blackhat is top contender for the worst action movie ever made, I was a diehard defender of Michael Mann until I saw that steaming pile of shit

Funny, I felt Rogue Nation was the most thrilling Mission Impossible since the first one, or at least the best thing in the series since Phillip Seymour Hoffman's monologues in M:I3. Blackhat isn't Mann's best, but in terms of action filmmaking, there's shots in there that are more interesting than most of the movies on the list.

I was there too, great screening. Although, I can't understand how you would deride the film for it's action elements. Sure maybe it's more of an action-thriller rather than a through-and-through action flick, but there is quite literally no filmmaker out there that shoots shoot-outs like Mann (honestly the closest I've seen recently was Michael Bay with 13 Hours, yes, really). Not even taking into account Heat, all of his films from his "digital" era are incredible when it comes to the action. Miami Vice, Public Enemies, and Blackhat in a proper theater with a proper sound system were actually scary when the guns came out, you clenched up and held your breath. Seeing as this list was formed around action, it only makes sense that Mann is heavily represented. They should have Public Enemies on there (another film that completely bewilders me why it's negatively received).

EDIT: thinking about it more, I think the action in his films can be compared to Sam Peckinpah. The violence is sudden and meaningful and walks that fine line of having style without being grindhouse/exploitation.

13 Hours looks like that because Dion Beebe was basically using his Miami Vice tricks again.

The action scenes in Public Enemies stay underrated. People get wrecked in that movie. Like everyone always brings up Heat (which contains a, maybe THE, top tier shootout), but the gunplay in Public Enemies is hyperkinetic and savage.

The scene where Max and Nux were chained together and they were fighting with furiosa was really cool. Reminded me of a jackie chan scene with all the jerking around and scrambling about.

and then when he closes it with this:
https://youtu.be/5pTZ4Xo2vmI?t=2m28s

:whew:, its more than just great car action. the last setpiece was basically apocalyptic Raiders of the Lost Ark.

That's probably my favorite scene in the movie. The choreography is great, Charlize Theron looks rabid, and I love how the chain whips up and hits the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom