• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The A.I. of Horizon: Zero Dawn (AI and Games)

cormack12

Gold Member
Just watched both these. Good and informative with GDC 2019 round the corner. Also really hammers home the complexities of AI in general and how hurtful it must be to just hear internet people spout things like crap A.I so flippantly.

https://aiandgames.com/
Video's contain spoilers but quite interesting

Jump to section on Guerrilla games A.I. toolchain
Jump to section on Individual Agent
Jump to section of 'The Collective'
Jump to section on herd behaviour
Jump to section on A.I. sensors and animation
Jump to section navigating and meshes
Jump to section on navigating (airborne enemies)

Isa

Those are really cool thanks. Its true that people are so immediately dismissive and frankly rude in both snarky remarks and it belies a rather limited vocabulary. Among my most loathed would be Toxic, cringe, trash, and garbage. Such simple and poorly constructed arguments or points I tend to just dismiss now. I apologize for the rant but your post has a point and reminds of how regularly these things are thrown around.

Its been a while since I've been genuinely surprised by A.I. in a game, but, and I will probably get flak for this, the most recent was one unexpected encounter in Fallout 76. My friend and I were out scavenging far beyond our level and came across an old homestead, when we spotted super mutants and decided to slowly pick 'em off. We were doing great but then one of my shots missed and one of his didn't kill his target. They alerted the whole area and we were swarmed so I said I'm falling back to a house I saw in the lot. We both had bolt actions with low reload speed which was intense, the enemy didn't stop rushing and my mate was eventually hit by a Molotov which was hilarious as he ran around trying to put it out.

Anyway we closed the door and started bracing for any foes out front. They started going to the windows and shooting through, we had to act quick! Eventually fighting got crazy having to run around the bottom floor blasting through kitchen windows and and the whole place was being shot up. Then as we were running out of ammo and switching weapons the front door I was sitting behind exploded and I was injured and we ran upstairs and starting shooting down the stairway and lobbing 'nades. It was sheer chaos. Eventually we had like 30 seconds of respite to heal and loot till we heard a booming fat voice chuckle and blast us in the backs! Some mutants had somehow climbed up on the roof over the front porch and were trying to get us that way. Dude in the end we survived with him hiding behind the bed and me in the bathtub just shooting out and lobbing grenades and molotovs. It was the most intense and fun battle I've had in a game in years. The way they'd mock us, call us out, and then all the laughs they had made it feel like we were in the world facing off against legit intelligent foes. The encircled the whole house too. And in the end we found where so many were coming from. The house we picked had an old basement turned into a base of some kind lol. I know the game has its flaws but I'll never forget that.

Horizon was an absolute blast to Platinum and I plan on doing the dlc soon enough. I can't wait to see what Guerilla does next.

nowhat

IA in robots is Amazing. As for humans, their IQ is pretty low, though.
If you check out the NoClip documentary about HZD (and I know some here will be triggered instantly - but no matter what you feel about the author, the documentary is great), the humans were quite a late addition, thanks to gameplay testing feedback. So it's not such a surprise that they can be somewhat idiotic (which they are).

The machines themselves, for the most part they are very good. But at long distances, they can be annoying. Snapmaws especially. So many times I've set out like the most perfect traps for them - but then trying to lure them in, they just keep wandering about with question marks over their heads even though you shoot them from a visible distance. To really get them to attack you, you usually have to go into the water, at which point you risk death as they can swim much faster than you.

But still, the foundation is there. I'm personally looking very much forward to HZD2 with a) new machines and b) improved human AI. And also c) improved AI of current machines. Yet even as it is, it can be pretty great, I just love Stormbirds, how they move and attack.

ZywyPL

Banned
I remember reading a similar documentation about AI in KZ2, GG are just on another level compared the most of the devs out there. Cannot wait to see what they will be able to come up with with proper, high-end CPU in the PS5, which as per recent rumors/leaks is about to have 16 threads.

cormack12

Gold Member
Horizon was an absolute blast to Platinum and I plan on doing the dlc soon enough. I can't wait to see what Guerilla does next.

I might be tempted to try Fallout 76 but it sounds like a game not for solo play. Easy to get griefed etc. All the OTT noise about bugs and that don't really bother me. I tend to listen but ultaimetly make my own decision on whether to give it a go or not

Back to the video's I thought the part where placid robots get attacked individually know they need to fight to survive, but as a herd their role is to flee for herd preservation while the herd protection robots enter attack mode. Honestly, blown away by this when it's described properly. I also liked the parts on meshes and dynamic navigation/pathfinding and I didn't even think about the mipmap and airborne enemies section so yeah, I learned quite a bit from that and have huge respect for GG.

I haven't fully played through H:ZD but from this vid, I'm definitely going to be testing certain aspects and utilising things like large rock cascades blocking robot meshes coming to stalk you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom