• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Angry Video Game Nerd movie is an Unmitigated Disaster

I mean holy shit where do I even begin?

I'm eighteen minutes in and I can't believe how terrible this is. What part of the AVGN concept begets this? What purpose is Cooper supposed to serve? Where's Mike? Why do the visual effects of the car driving scenes look worse than Seinfeld's? The gamestop scene really bummed me out on multiple levels. I don't think I can finish it.

The special effects are hardly the problem. I simply did not think it was funny, but just stupid. I thought James was smart enough to know what's funny after making me laugh with some of his AVGN stuff for so long, but this movie just missed every mark.

Fat4all

Banned
i actually put money into this back in the day (indiegogo?)

it's kinda suppose to be "bad" on purpose, but there's nothing that really elevates the bad into proper schlock so it falls on it's face pretty hard

glad he was able to make it tho, don't regret backing it

It's was ok, it would have been better if it was a long, high budget episode instead of an actual movie with locations but eh, he achieved what he wanted to do and the results are ok.

It's bad, but not as bad as I expected. It may have helped that I saw it with a big crowd at PAX, who were all fans.

The VFX are awful, and it leans heavily on some super dated cliches (an entire emotional arc is built on the assumption no girl is actually into video games). The additional characters are completely pointless, and it's loaded with bad fanservice.

But all that said, the basic plot is a decently fun sci-fi premise built around the ET Atari game, and the landfill story.

It's bad, but it's about as good as you can expect a film based around a YouTube series to be.

Ultimadrago

The poor quality of the movie exceeded all expectations. As someone that has watched AVGN since he was The Angry Nintendo Nerd, I really regret even wasting my time watching half of the film.

It wasn't even "enjoyably bad", it was just...man...gonna sit down for a bit.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
well, at least it was better than that fan made Zelda movie.

aadiboy

It was mediocre, nothing I would ever really want to watch again. I know James was going for the schlocky B-movie angle, but honestly he was trying too hard. It's not so bad that it's good, it's just kinda bad.

Fancolors

Is there any genuinely good movie made by YouTubers? I don't think I ever seen one getting a positive reaction from them.

Remember RLM's Space Cop?

Cuburt

It could have worked better by trying to tie it a bit more to what the AVGN episodes were supposed to be. I also think even though a lot of the effects were supposed to be intentionally B-movie-ish, they don't seem consistent enough to pull it off, especially since the actual movie doesn't really capture the tone of a B-movie at all. It's a little too self-aware for what it's going for.

It also seems like James used it as an opportunity to do every type of movie cliche/special effect he's ever wanted to try but wasn't sure if he'd get another chance to do (like working with miniatures) so it seems less like the homage he was clearly going for and more like a mismash of genres.

Without all the wacky characters, I thought the ET plot was decent and a good way to have an AVGN episode/review become a bigger adventure, it's just that the adventure part wasn't so great. I liked the effects and acting for what it was.

They were probably trying to do a little too much, especially since the crowdfunding campaign was such a success and they wanted to give the fans something big, but a leaner films would have worked better with more of the budget going into locations, crew, and actors. Have more cameos by regulars, give some in-world explanation for why the Nerd sees all these game characters but just ramp up the quality of the effects, then just plug in new characters in roles that would fit. They could have done a real interesting twist on what happens in the Nerd's life outside of the videos, but they didn't go that direction at all. Didn't he work at a video game store or something? I don't know, the character stuff didn't mesh together all that well with the plot.

It's not like James is completely awful at making films. His Board James stuff is pretty good. I could see the potential in some of his short films, he's probably just a director that works better with lean budgets and making due with what you can.

Is there any genuinely good movie made by YouTubers? I don't think I ever seen one getting a positive reaction from them.

Remember RLM's Space Cop?

I don't know if I'd call them movies, but I found Nostalgia Critic's Kickassia, and Suburban Knights to actually be funny at times. They had jokes that make me have a laughing reaction which is a lot more than I can say for AVGN movie.

Love his AVGN stuff, particularly the early years, Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar etc but sometimes it's best to stick with what works. I couldn't finish watching the movie, so badly acted and written.

I haven't seen the movie but if his awful skits that he would come up with for his episodes are anything to go by then I believe you, OP.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
James did what he wanted to do, i think we should support him on that alone. It was a long time coming and everyone knows how much he wanted to do a big time production atleast once

I haven't seen the movie but if his awful skits that he would come up with for his episodes are anything to go by then I believe you, OP.

0/10

I don't know if I'd call them movies, but I found Nostalgia Critic's Kickassia, and Suburban Knights to actually be funny at times. They had jokes that make me have a laughing reaction which is a lot more than I can say for AVGN movie.

Yeah, those had some redeeming qualities back when I watched those, which was around their release.

grimm_shado

Unconfirmed Member
I like it.

It's supposed to in a lot of ways invoke 80s - early 90s campiness/Nickelodeon made for TV movies.

The only thing I didn't like was the line, "Oh for the love of Pong!". Kinda cringe-worthy, even for what the movie goes for.

It could have worked better by trying to tie it a bit more to what the AVGN episodes were supposed to be. I also think even though a lot of the effects were supposed to be intentionally B-movie-ish, they don't seem consistent enough to pull it off, especially since the actual movie doesn't really capture the tone of a B-movie at all. It's a little too self-aware for what it's going for.

It also seems like James used it as an opportunity to do every type of movie cliche/special effect he's ever wanted to try but wasn't sure if he'd get another chance to do (like working with miniatures) so it seems less like the homage he was clearly going for and more like a mismash of genres.

Without all the wacky characters, I thought the ET plot was decent and a good way to have an AVGN episode/review become a bigger adventure, it's just that the adventure part wasn't so great. I liked the effects and acting for what it was.

They were probably trying to do a little too much, especially since the crowdfunding campaign was such a success and they wanted to give the fans something big, but a leaner films would have worked better with more of the budget going into locations, crew, and actors. Have more cameos by regulars, give some in-world explanation for why the Nerd sees all these game characters but just ramp up the quality of the effects, then just plug in new characters in roles that would fit. They could have done a real interesting twist on what happens in the Nerd's life outside of the videos, but they didn't go that direction at all. Didn't he work at a video game store or something? I don't know, the character stuff didn't mesh together all that well with the plot.

It's not like James is completely awful at making films. His Board James stuff is pretty good. I could see the potential in some of his short films, he's probably just a director that works better with lean budgets and making due with what you can.

Agreed I really like the stuff he does with Board James.

I knew it wasn't going to be good but I didn't expect it to be as bad as it was.

For someone like James who is such a film buff with an interesting taste in movies, I didn't expect him to rely on so many outdated tropes. The movie was a total disaster and it only reaffirms my belief that most people who study film and dream of becoming a milestone director are completely full of shit and don't realize how hard it is to make a good film from start to finish.

I would have liked a more abstract type of film that didn't follow the traditional three act play style. Maybe even a compilation style film would be better and more suited to the type of stuff he and his fans enjoy, just have a feature length story about the Nerd reviewing like 4 or 5 games that all lead into each other and end with the ET review.

JordanN

Banned
What if AVGN intentionally made a bad movie so he could review it again one day?

MkZyZ32.png

The AVGN format just doesn't translate well to a full-length movie. I appreciate what James tried to do with it, but I think he was over ambitious with it.

Honestly, it was really disappointing for me. I had high hopes for it.

Camjo-Z

James set out to make an intentionally shitty movie, which unfortunately resulted in a regular old shitty movie.

Xero

There's a movie about the AVGN? I had no idea he was that popular.

.... now they should do one for Angry Joe.

a lot of them have one. Dont mistake this for some big thing. They are usually 10,000 affairs funded through kickstarter and they show.

jett

D-Member
It's complete garbage.

It's kinda sad how little Rolfe's film skills have improved in a decade of virtually doing hundreds of shorts. This movie is amateurish in every conceivable way. I wasn't expecting it to be that poor.

I really struggled to finish it

edit: edited to reduce assholeness.

Top Bottom