• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ascent |OT| As Above, So Below

Installed and play some last night. Absolutely horrendous experience. Summary for those interested.

- First we couldnt get party to work on the Xbox app on Windows
- Then we couldnt get the ingame invites to work.
- After several tries, we finally all managed to get in a lobby but couldnt hear each other
- Eventually, we started the game and the performance was awful on my 2080, my friends 2070 super and my other friends 5080.
- Constant stuttering. Framerate drops on explosions. The first boss fight was unplayable for all of us whenever he did the bomb attack.
- Eventually we got in a nice groove and started to enjoy the game and then boom, game crashed for a friend and he wasnt able to join back in.
- We tried changing the host but you cant do that because the progress is saved on the person who started the game. So if I no longer feel like playing the game, they literally have to start over. Bizarre!
- This isnt Xbox, Microsoft or the developers fault but my CPU was running at almost 90 degrees. Got my PC fixed recently and they must have fucked up the fan installation. God I hate PC gaming. I am just going to pick up an xsx because this is ridiculous.

Will try again today. Game looks absolutely magnificent. So much detail. Just goes to show that indie games can look like AAA games as long as the team has talent. If anything, I think it looks better than 99% of the AAA games I have played this year. Oh and it has destruction. But the game clearly isnt ready. Destruction is great but if it drops the framerate from 100 to 10 fps, your engine isnt optimized for it. Several explosions literally brought my framerate down to 0. Same for my friends.
PC Gamepass is still a mess. Microsoft needs to get their shit together.

I have been playing for about 4 hrs with a co op buddy. Have reached lvl 10.

Where are the difficulty spikes? Am still waiting for them. So far has been smooth sailing.

scraz

Welp just finished it with 19 hours played after clearing every side quest. Very pretty, Audio Bugs bugs here and there, Hitching almost every time i fired off homing missiles even with a 3080 and vsync on. Combat was very bland since i got the gun with homing bullets early and upgraded it to the point were i was just sailing through the game. Ending gave off some serious borderlands one vibes but I'm not mad since i played it on game pass.

Fredrik

Curve achieved its largest ever opening weekend sales revenue this weekend, generating more than $5million and securing the Number 1 slot in the Steam Global Charts for Neon Giant’s The Ascent, firmly positioning the Indie title as a AAA competitor.

Gamepass continues to hurt sales and kill the industry. 😉
That’s great to hear! I hope Neon Giant get the recognition they deserve, they should get an award for the graphics and design and sound, there is so much details in this game that even big AAA studios forget about. The game just needs a few patches to truly shine but it’ll still 100% be on my GOTY list this year.

Fredrik

I have been playing for about 4 hrs with a co op buddy. Have reached lvl 10.

Where are the difficulty spikes? Am still waiting for them. So far has been smooth sailing.
Don’t know if it’s easier in coop but the difficulty spikes came in the boss areas for me in single player mode, the timed horde modes could be absolutely brutal.

Fredrik

PC Gamepass is still a mess. Microsoft needs to get their shit together.
Agreed. And the game needs a big patch. I have a 3070ti and 3800x, playing in 1080p, there is literally no reason what so ever that it should run worse on my PC than on XSX, but it does, like a lot worse.

ZywyPL

Banned

Curve achieved its largest ever opening weekend sales revenue this weekend, generating more than $5million and securing the Number 1 slot in the Steam Global Charts for Neon Giant’s The Ascent, firmly positioning the Indie title as a AAA competitor.

Gamepass continues to hurt sales and kill the industry. 😉

Good games sell, who would have thought! Also, no 70$ BS pricetag does wonders, 40$ is about right for a high quality indie title, and it's not even that, it's 30. I hope they'll do well and we will see a sequel in a couple of years, they didn't end the vame with a cliffhanger for nothing after all ;)

Neil Young

One problem I've been running into and it could be my fault....I'll be doing a side quest that is like level 6 but the quest objective will be located in an area that is filled with high level enemies that one shot me. Also, some side quest areas seem to be locked off until you open it in the main story. Otherwise, not many bugs to speak of at all.

Fredrik

One problem I've been running into and it could be my fault....I'll be doing a side quest that is like level 6 but the quest objective will be located in an area that is filled with high level enemies that one shot me. Also, some side quest areas seem to be locked off until you open it in the main story. Otherwise, not many bugs to speak of at all.
You can return to those areas later, there are quests that can’t be cleared until late in the game, sooner or later you’re the one who will one shot the enemies 👊😎

Fredrik

I’d love Microsoft to buy Neon Giant and give them all the support they need and want for The Ascent 2.
Honestly, no I don’t want that. I think this game and this studio will get the love it deserves once Playstation gamers can play it too, with improved haptics as a bonus. People try to cover it up but it’s quite clear to see that there is some sad platform-based trolling and downplaying going on. Same as with all exclusives tbh. And a small studio like this with so much talent shouldn’t have to deal with that petty nonsense.

ZywyPL

Banned

The side quests design is easily the game's weakest part, the whole structure/concept doesn't make any sense.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Anyone know how this runs on an Xbox One S (all digital)? I could use some Cyberpunk Diablo.
The Xbox One version is 30fps, but it looks and plays just fine. The roughest part compared to PC or S|X is loading times. There's an occasional slowdown here and there, but nothing as egregious as some of the PC issues. A couple screens from our One S...
The-Ascent.jpg

The-Ascent-2.jpg

---

Looks like there's an update adding difficulty options to both the Xbox and GP PC versions. I had to reinstall to get it to show on GP PC, couldn't even force it through the store. GP PC still hitches from shader compilation in both DX11 and DX12 mode. RT is still broken. Still no DLSS option for GP PC.

I tried the xCloud version of the game and it visually looks like the One S version, but the loading times were significantly better. I'm wondering if they have it running in the 4-instance config and they're able to leverage XSX's faster storage?

I have a love-hate-relationship with this game. On one hand it's amazing, but on the other hand it's broken on PC, so I was forced to play on Series S instead of 2060S with DLSS on PC. I understand that this is the price to pay for playing Day-1, but it works on lesser platforms. So as much as I love the game, I question them for releasing such a fucked up, shitty version on PC.

Last edited:
The Xbox One version is 30fps, but it looks and plays just fine. The roughest part compared to PC or S|X is loading times. There's an occasional slowdown here and there, but nothing as egregious as some of the PC issues. A couple screens from our One S...

---

Looks like there's an update adding difficulty options to both the Xbox and GP PC versions. I had to reinstall to get it to show on GP PC, couldn't even force it through the store. GP PC still hitches from shader compilation in both DX11 and DX12 mode. RT is still broken. Still no DLSS option for GP PC.

I tried the xCloud version of the game and it visually looks like the One S version, but the loading times were significantly better. I'm wondering if they have it running in the 4-instance config and they're able to leverage XSX's faster storage?

I have a love-hate-relationship with this game. On one hand it's amazing, but on the other hand it's broken on PC, so I was forced to play on Series S instead of 2060S with DLSS on PC. I understand that this is the price to pay for playing Day-1, but it works on lesser platforms. So as much as I love the game, I question them for releasing such a fucked up, shitty version on PC.

Is it me or has the gaming experience been much better on Series X than PC overall of late?

PC gaming sure seems like a giant PITA to me.

Looks like there's an update adding difficulty options to both the Xbox and GP PC versions
So I can set it To super easy mode and start breezing through. Or will it make me start from the beginning? ive gotten used to the normal (hard) difficulty 😃Im curious what the series x version was set at before in comparison.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
So I can set it To super easy mode and start breezing through. Or will it make me start from the beginning? ive gotten used to the normal (hard) difficulty 😃Im curious what the series x version was set at before in comparison.
It just shows as 'Normal', but I think that's default, so you'll have to play a difficult section to get a feel for it. I'm stuck on Menshen boss battle because of some interesting enemy difficulty scaling, so I should finally be able to progress past it. Gonna start on 'Hard' and work my way down to 'Easy' to see how it scales.

Is it me or has the gaming experience been much better on Series X than PC overall of late?

PC gaming sure seems like a giant PITA to me.
I'd say it's 50-50, but it shouldn't be on any title with RT+DLSS. DOOM Eternal GP PC version on a RTX card really rips the XSX up with 120fps+RT performance even on 2060S. FS2020 is better on PC, as well.

This game is something else on GP PC, though. Even One S doesn't have the shader compilation stutter issue. I could live with broken RT and removed DLSS(it was in the preload version, but didn't function), but to stutter like that upon entering any new area is like something from Cemu emulator. A real bummer.

ZywyPL

Banned
The Ascent > Cyberpunk 2077 IMO.

I really have to wonder how long this took to develop. You can really tell the devs went the extra mile for this game.

The studio was formed on April 2018, merely 3 years ago, with not even 10 people at the beginning. But it consists solely of experienced senior devs, who are supposedly very efficient at their work, hence the results.

But nevertheless, the game does make me wonder what the hell are all those huge AAA studios with hindreds devs, multi-million budgets and 5-6 years dev times are doing??

Fredrik

Damn this game is sick. Just look at those screenshots.

Everytime I think I'm hyping this game up too much, I realize I'm not.
Nah you’re perfectly normal 👍
Those who don’t see the beauty in it aren’t looking close enough. It’s all about the roughness in the textures, the debris, the junk, and the lighting. I understand that it’s kinda dodging many graphical challenges from never going up close, but I don’t care, I want Halo to have this much world details.
I mean if you would do a side by side comparison it would look like nothing is going on in Halo, it’s incredibly sterile, it looks more like a warzone in my house from having kids lol

Fredrik

But nevertheless, the game does make me wonder what the hell are all those huge AAA studios with hindreds devs, multi-million budgets and 5-6 years dev times are doing??
I’m thinking the same thing. Are they all focusing on rendering hair on the character’s ears or what’s the deal? The game worlds in pretty much all AAA games look sterile compared to The Ascent. Maybe Control could beat it, maybe.

twilo99

Finally got it downloaded on my PC from gamepass, and yes, it looks much better than the cloud version, as expected.

Getting between 140-165fps on ultra/high settings at 1440p, it looks really nice. I'll try to take some screenshots at some point.

The game is WAY easier to play with mouse/keyboard.. its not even close.

Last edited:

Null Persp

Game was dragging on too long so I skipped the remaining sidequests and I finished the main story.
The last part was great and frenetic, I enjoyed the difficulty spike, so many enemies spawning in all direction.
The final fight was tough and intense, I think I leveled up 2-3 times there, I had to use Hyper Focus and Rejuv field and the Dealbreaker, the first three waves were easy but at the last wave there were too many enemies, at the end I rushed to activate the last control panel.

Chukhopops

How do you upgrade ICE in the game? I found a few cyberdeck upgrades but I don't know what to do with them and I'm still locked out of level 1 doors.

I'm at the pinnacle now so I want to wrap up the last upgrades before finishing.

The studio was formed on April 2018, merely 3 years ago, with not even 10 people at the beginning. But it consists solely of experienced senior devs, who are supposedly very efficient at their work, hence the results.

That's insane. So the game cost something like 2 million dollars to develop? Talk about ROI lmao.

Also with such a low budget it doesn't even qualify as an AA game, but looks like an AAA game. Insane.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's insane. So the game cost something like 2 million dollars to develop? Talk about ROI lmao.

Also with such a low budget it doesn't even qualify as an AA game, but looks like an AAA game. Insane.
They had some outside contractors and called in personal favours, but still yeah this production was amazingly well executed and efficient. Hats off to this team (hence why I bought the game outright on my XSX).

Rikkori

If you want to improve performance with RT, read this:

For AMD I found that making reflections hybrid helped the most, coupled with something else they haven't mentioned:

r.RayTracing.Reflections.MaxRoughness

This controls what surfaces get raytraced. If you keep it at 0, you still get nice RTR for water and puddles and perfect mirror surfaces but performance increases MASSIVELY. 0.2 is what I currently use and that gives a lot of surfaces raytracing but not everything, and performance is almost double vs default.

Sadly it doesn't seem to be possible to maintain 60 fps in city for me, regardless of resolution or other RT tweaks I add, so there's obviously an occupancy issue and probably a CPU bottleneck as well (6800K). Fine with raster, but raytracing just isn't fully optimised, which is expected from Unreal titles but is the case generally with most RT titles. Pretty much only Doom Eternal & Metro Exodus get close to using the hardware fully. Still early days for RT & hardware.

Target res 4K:

rTE0Mjm.jpg

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

They had some outside contractors and called in personal favours, but still yeah this production was amazingly well executed and efficient. Hats off to this team (hence why I bought the game outright on my XSX).

In one interview they said many guys from the team worked at Epic on Unreal Engine, they had acces to UE4 before it was even released, before everyone else, they made it actually, so they knew the best how to use it in game production.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
In one interview they said many guys from the team worked at Epic on Unreal Engine, they had acces to UE4 before it was even released, before everyone else, they made it actually, so they knew the best how to use it in game production.
No matter the experience, executing a vision is always super hard.

SCB3

I'm not sure if I am feeling this Solo tbh, I like the Soundtrack, the setting, the looks and the gameplay is fun, but I'm not sure what it is thats making me want to play more

Top Bottom