• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Atari 2600 is 40 years old

Afrikan

C6i816o.png

I actually came across a working one in the early 90's when people used to throw out their electronics outside their homes yearly. With a bunch of games.

So yeah was getting some O'l G Atari early in life. #milfchaser

synchronicity

Gold Member
I still remember the exclusively child-like excitement and enthusiasm I felt when getting this for Christmas as a child. So many great memories.

And the games themselves, while not very compelling for the most part today, are still interesting in terms of what was able to be accomplished with such a limited canvas.

I still enjoy some of them though, like River Raid for example.

Edit: I really enjoyed the Atari Anthology on PS2 with its 80's bedroom and music. The presentation for the package was really great.

I still remember the exclusively child-like excitement and enthusiasm I felt when getting this for Christmas as a child. So many great memories.

And the games themselves, while not very compelling for the most part today, are still interesting in terms of what was able to be accomplished with such a limited canvas.

I still enjoy some of them though, like River Raid for example.

Was just getting ready to post about how awesome River Raid was. We had a 2600 Jr. and RR was by far the game I played the most followed by Moon Patrol. There was a switch on the back of the console itself that actually changed which music played during Moon Patrol, blew my mind.

Interesting I never realized this. Now that I think back it does bring to mind the "smoothness" that all Atari games seemed to have.

They definitely do have a smooth quality like you say.

The thing with the 2600 is that it doesn't have a framebuffer so the graphics are not drawn frame by frame... but scanline by scanline. Whenever the CRT is drawing the graphics, the 2600 can't do anything else but draw. When it stops drawing a scanline and gets ready to draw another, that's when the CPU can make calculations.

This is what is meant by 'racing the beam'... As a programmer, you're basically counting clock cycles between scanlines asking yourself, 'Can I get all of these calculations done in time before the game needs to display graphics?'

While this made life hard for programmers, this actually led to its flexibility! It only has 5 sprites (Two players, two missiles and a ball) plus a low resolution background. On paper it's a pong/tank machine. But because you can change things up between scanlines, you can make much more complicated graphics. This allowed the 2600 to thrive well after Pong became passé.

JSR_Cube

My first console too. Adventure was the first game I really loved.

It is amazing what the programmers eventually put out (and still put out) on the system given the limitations.

Still have mine hooked up. Modded it to have an RCA output instead of RF, so the picture looks sublime.

I still play Berserker or River Raid almost weekly

MisterR

One of the best presents I got when I was a kid. Remember beating my Dad at Frogger on the 2600 when I was about 6. Great memories.

Still have mine hooked up. Modded it to have an RCA output instead of RF, so the picture looks sublime.

I still play Berserker or River Raid almost weekly
Berserker was my personal favorite as a kid. Just couldn't keep up with my brothers and dad in Defender, but I tried ;p

Kerned

Banned
This was essentially my first console as well (I turned 41 recently). It was actually my grandpa's, but I loved going over there and playing it. He had a shitload of games, I was obsessed with Adventure, Kaboom, Pitfall, River Raid... too many to remember, it definitely started a lifelong love for games.

YaBish

This thing was almost 20 by the time I was born.

We rescued my dad's from my grandma's house last December, and the thing still works like a charm.

Funny enough I had one of these when I was growing up in the early 90s. Had Donkey Kong on it and I had a blast. Thank you, 2600 for getting me into video games.

Noogy

Almost as old as I am. I have very fond memories of our 2600. In fact I still have it, along with a box of cartridges.

They definitely do have a smooth quality like you say.

The thing with the 2600 is that it doesn't have a framebuffer so the graphics are not drawn frame by frame... but scanline by scanline. Whenever the CRT is drawing the graphics, the 2600 can't do anything else but draw. When it stops drawing a scanline and gets ready to draw another, that's when the CPU can make calculations.

This is what is meant by 'racing the beam'... As a programmer, you're basically counting clock cycles between scanlines asking yourself, 'Can I get all of these calculations done in time before the game needs to display graphics?'

While this made life hard for programmers, this actually led to its flexibility! It only has 5 sprites (Two players, two missiles and a ball) plus a low resolution background. On paper it's a pong/tank machine. But because you can change things up between scanlines, you can make much more complicated graphics. This allowed the 2600 to thrive well after Pong became passé.

"Racing the Beam". Great book on that topic, programming the Atari 2600.

Still the classiest-looking console. And the best game box art.

I remember getting it and Asteroids for Christmas and my grandparents being afraid it would mess up their TV somehow. Later on, I flipped the score to Asteroids 13 times in a row before I got bored.

Berzerk was my favorite 2600 game. Though it didn't have the digitized voices of the arcade game, it had the spirit of it. And Evil Otto. Those kinds of twitch arcade games were what the 2600 was best at, though devs certainly tried to push the medium farther on it.

Raiders of the Lost Ark was the most impressive 2600 game, basically Zelda before Zelda. It was open world, had NPCs, an inventory system, and puzzles. Beating it wasn't easy, especially with no ability to save.

I remember I started getting disenchanted with the 2600 when Pac-Man 2600 came out and looked only vaguely like the arcade version, and then seeing how much better ports on the ColecoVision and IntelliVision looked. IMO it was not the number or quality of games that caused the games crash, but the fact that Atari management thought they could ride the 2600 for years on name alone, without putting out a more powerful system to keep up with the pace of change in the industry.

Got one in the mid 80s for Christmas. It was what started a lifelong love of games. I had Centipede, Joust, and some more obscure games called Exocet and one absolute turd called Riddle of the Sphinx

Pilgrimzero

Just played some actual Atari the other day. Has to get a new hookup for the tv and a new controller/joystick but it works like a charm!

And wow do I suck at Space Invaders. I remember being somewhat good at it back in the day.

I got my first one around 94. My family used to go to flea markets, and we found one in box with like 50 games. At one point I had 3 of them, two woodgrain, and a Jr version. I think I got into it about as late as you could and still enjoy a lot of the games, since most of them have not aged well at all.

I think my favorite part was the instruction books and catalogs. I still have most of them, and they're a blast to look through. A few of them have consoles that never made it out, and for years I had no idea that they didn't really exist.

We got one for Christmas when I was in 3rd grade. I still have mine, hooked up and working. It was great fun, but more of a novelty than a real, capable game system. It's so limited. Most of its popular games were poor versions of arcade hits. And I vividly remember, as many do, I'm sure, the release of Pac-Man driving home that point hard.

UncleMeat

I have no idea what happened to my family's atari and it pisses me off every time I think about it. I need to get up in my parent's attic and look for myself.

River Raid is the best.

kswiston

Which means console gaming is 40 years old!

40 years for the 2600 feels about right, but it is still sort of mindblowing to think that the 2600 and PS1 were separated by fewer years than the PS1 and Switch.

We saw so many massive shifts in those early years.

Also my first console. Anyone remember Spider Fighter? I used to love that game. Also I recall being very frustrated with a game called Seaquest haha.

I also recall having tons of cartridges from after the crash.... Buying tons of games out of a crate 😂

Catphish

So many memories...

The one that really stands out is when I brought Decathlon home for the first time and played it until I had to go to bed.

I woke up the next day so fecking sore, I can't even tell you. All day, I ached.

Bad ass game, tho.

As great as the 2600 was, though, it didn't take long for me to forget it amongst the 5200, Intellivision, and Colecovision.

By the time I got my C-64, my poor 2600 was a complete afterthought.

Atari management thought they could ride the 2600 for years on name alone, without putting out a more powerful system to keep up with the pace of change in the industry.

They put out the 5200 the same year (1982) but it was expensive, huge, and the controllers sucked ass. Worst controller ever, if for no other reason than they are very prone to stop working. I have 3 5200 controllers and only one that I could coax into working after disassembly and cleaning. It was a nice upgrade, though. Basically Atari computer guts in a console case.

Celine

40 years for the 2600 feels about right, but it is still sort of mindblowing to think that the 2600 and PS1 were separated by fewer years than the PS1 and Switch.

We saw so many massive shifts in those early years.
Absolutely, in the '80s and '90s the cost to design and retail a console was low enough that a bunch of company tried their hand at the booming console business, those were very exciting times especially because I was younger :).
After the '90s with the rise in the investments needed to just try to compete in the console business only the very biggest companies could keep churning out new consoles.
For the last 16 years all we got is Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox (and a glut of micro consoles that rode on the mobile expansion both for hardware and software).
Between Atari 2600 release in 1977 and PS1 release in 1994 in Japan there is a timespan of 17 years.
Now think how it has past about 16 years since Sega exited the console business.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Besides some fake Pong machine....this was my first real console.Man...I was proud owning this machine. I remember Mouse Trap the first game I ever played on my Atari.

Gawddamn all these memories....a friend of mine and I played all evening when I was a kid at primary school at my place and I almost 47 now. Hard to believe, but time really flies.
I'm with you, only that I remained with the fake pong*, and only salivated at 2600 pictures in magazines.

* First console I owned came much later when I was an adult.

clo1_2000

Banned
I remember this guy. Although it was technically the first console I played (we are both 40 this year) at the age of 4 or 5 back in 81/82, I don't consider it "my console". That distinction belongs to the NES.

However, this console still holds a very special place in my gaming history. Pong, Pac-Man, Pitfall, Frogger, even the travesty that was E.T. (yes, my grandparents gave me a copy of that pos) are all inextricably linked with some very powerful memories.

My father (passed away 3 years ago) and I used to love playing that console together. I can't think of the 2600 without thinking of all the great times we had on that thing. Can't believe it's been so long...

Celine

Berserker was my personal favorite as a kid. Just couldn't keep up with my brothers and dad in Defender, but I tried ;p
Berzerker is among my favorites too.
The others are Pitfall, Battlezone, Kaboom, Missile Command, Keystone Kapers and River Raid.

Top Bottom