• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Australian Game Developers Conference Thread

Striek

I was hoping there would be a panel by Team Bondi, but it was just "Using Actors in Video Games" :/

Developing for PLAYSTATION®3 - George Bain, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe
Might've had some interesting info. Session ran yesterday.

Look at that MotorStorm video in the pull down menu, the Evolution Studio CEO says its all PS3. But people who haven't a clue say its fake.

worshippy9oh.gif
In Martin Kenwright We Trust
worshippy9oh.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wax Free Vanilla said:
Look at that MotorStorm video in the pull down menu, the Evolution Studio CEO says its all PS3. But people who haven't a clue say its fake.

worshippy9oh.gif
worshippy9oh.gif

YEP this just in MOTORSTORM video at E3 was real. *All PS3 buyers rejoice*

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Wax Free Vanilla said:

worshippy9oh.gif
worshippy9oh.gif

What??

Where??

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The narrator stated that game logic and AI were disabled for the video. AI shouldn't make a difference but i'm not exactly sure what they mean by game logic. Its sounding promising though!

Edit: mckmas8808 you should have named this thread "Motorstorm realtime!". The thread would be flurishing more :lol

Wax Free Vanilla said:

worshippy9oh.gif
worshippy9oh.gif

I'm not really surprised that it was real time since it doesn't look out of the PS3's league. But it'll be funny to see the reactions from people who were so sure it was faked.

BlueTsunami said:
The narrator stated that game logic and AI were disabled for the video.

So, what they're saying is that the footage shown at E3 was effectively a cut-scene, mainly taxing the GPU, then? If so, that's not that impressive, IMO...in the same way I'm not blown away by the MGS3 cut-scene. If they achieve the promise of that vid in game, I'll be picking it up, though, that's for sure. But then, that's goes for the PS3 KZ.

BlueTsunami

MightyHedgehog said:
So, what they're saying is that the footage shown at E3 was effectively a cut-scene, mainly taxing the GPU, then? If so, that's not that impressive, IMO...in the same way I'm not blown away by the MGS3 cut-scene. If they achieve the promise of that vid in game, I'll be picking it up, though, that's for sure. But then, that's goes for the PS3 KZ.

Well, I can understand the AI but like I stated, i'm not to sure what game logic means. But yeah it was more or less a visual showcase. You should note though that aliasing has been seen throughout screen captures of the video itself which shows that its possible that its ingame (confirmation from that developer on the AGD conference adds credence to it).

I can't wait to see the outcome and if they really can get the EXACT visual fidelity that was shown at E3.

As much as I'd love to play a game that's as fun, detailed and all-out crazy as that vid suggests, I'm thinking it's gonna be those that believe that it will turn out so well in final form that'll be owned. Something so fishy about all of the shit from that E3 conference, really. I'll be very glad to be wrong, though.

BlueTsunami

MightyHedgehog said:
As much as I'd love to play a game that's as fun, detailed and all-out crazy as that vid suggests, I'm thinking it's gonna be those that believe that it will turn out so well in final form that'll be owned. Something so fishy about all of the shit from that E3 conference, really. I'll be very glad to be wrong, though.

If you watch the video closely, there are some areas (after view PGR3) that look totally ingame. I'm talking about the switch to the cabin views in parts of the videos. Theres also a scene with a view thats behind one of the humvees? It also looks ingame.

Its more or less the cinematic parts that are unbelievable but looking at it more and more seems to be very possible.

All I want is for this game to sport the same type of 1st person, in car view that PGR3 has. PGR3 has risen (camera wise) what I expect from a racer.

BlueTsunami said:
All I want is for this game to sport the same type of 1st person, in car view that PGR3 has. PGR3 has risen (camera wise) what I expect from a racer.

That view when you crash is going to make alot of people dizzy.

Playstation UK did an interview with Martin Kenwright from Evolution around E3

While all three games are looking special, it's that spectacular glimpse of the next generation that has everyone talking. "It's five years' worth of stuff we can't do in WRC, all poured into one game," Kenwright says about the game.

Letting slip more details exclusively to PlayStation.com, Martin enthuses about a velodrome-style track that's to be set within the crater of a volcano. "You're right up on the [vertical] sides of the crater," he enthuses, "and you'll have rocks falling past and everything."

http://uk.playstation.com/news/newsStory.jhtml?storyId=106817_en_GB_NEWS&linktype=SSL

BlueTsunami said:
Well, I can understand the AI but like I stated, i'm not to sure what game logic means. But yeah it was more or less a visual showcase. You should note though that aliasing has been seen throughout screen captures of the video itself which shows that its possible that its ingame (confirmation from that developer on the AGD conference adds credence to it).

I can't wait to see the outcome and if they really can get the EXACT visual fidelity that was shown at E3.

I dont think it was so much the visual fidelity (the general assets, terrain and lighting looked achievable to me) but the level of physical simulation displayed that had my jaw dropping when I first saw it... (and eventually coming to the conclusion that it had to be CG). Like the vehicles deforming and breaking apart on a level never seen before, the way that crash into the cabin realistically shattered debris into a million individual pieces, or all the crazy mud splatter and particles, dust clouds, motion blur and photo-real fire and smoke effects going on. Not to mention the amazing collision detection and animation of the vehicles and riders themselves. I dunno, Evolution is a great developer and all but that trailer was an incredibly ambitious bar they set for themselves.

BlueTsunami

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
I dont think it was so much the visual fidelity (the general assets, terrain and lighting looked achievable to me) but the level of physical simulation displayed that had my jaw dropping when I first saw it... (and eventually coming to the conclusion that it had to be CG). Like the vehicles deforming and breaking apart on a level never seen before, the way that crash into the cabin realistically shattered debris into a million individual pieces, or all the crazy mud splatter and particles, dust clouds, motion blur and photo-real fire and smoke effects going on. Not to mention the amazing collision detection and animation of the vehicles and riders themselves. I dunno, Evolution is a great developer and all but that trailer was an incredibly ambitious bar they set for themselves.

The way the vehicles deform is jawdropping. They truly are setting an extremley high bar for themselves (or with that video they've shown that they've attained that point). This is one of the games i'm extremley excited about. The recent information about this game is what lite a fire under my ass. I was with the, "this may be CG" "Uncertain", ultimatley we have to wait till the game is actually released to see if our faith in these devs is well placed.

On a side note I personally think that the 3rd person top down camera will look bland (like usual). Its the inner cabin cam that will be whats more immersive. Alot of what were seeing in the video is scripted of course, thats why its so dynamic and faced paced.

Also, I think with Cell has the CPU, the particle effects in the video are doable. Hopefully things like the house breaking into small pieces or cars getting torn to shreds actually is what really happens.

This game also better sport Online races, to see people get decimated online because you nudged them into a wall is just to much to pass up. Finally, I love the grittiness of this game, its so raw and visceral...I love it

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
I dont think it was so much the visual fidelity (the general assets, terrain and lighting looked achievable to me) but the level of physical simulation displayed that had my jaw dropping when I first saw it... (and eventually coming to the conclusion that it had to be CG).

Indeed, in isolation the visuals look fairly achievable (although I think the lighting is pretty insane too), but it's the physics and the whole package in motion that puts it over the top. It's possible it was realtime, but with scripted physics/animation perhaps? If they matched that in-game, I'd be :eek:. It'd also be one of the best cases to date for "physics making things look better".

I'll put my sceptic hat on for now. Edge Magazine reported quite convincingly that it was all CG (even fingering the CG house involved).

BlueTsunami

gofreak said:
Indeed, in isolation the visuals look fairly achievable (although I think the lighting is pretty insane too), but it's the physics and the whole package in motion that puts it over the top. It's possible it was realtime, but with scripted physics/animation perhaps? If they matched that in-game, I'd be :eek:. It'd also be one of the best cases to date for "physics making things look better".

I'll put my sceptic hat on for now. Edge Magazine reported quite convincingly that it was all CG (even fingering the CG house involved).

I agree that sceptisism needs to still be applied here. I'm happy that it was reported that the AI and game logic were disabled, instead of being secretive about the whole thing and not clueing the viewer in on what may or may not be implimented.

I still find the aliasing weird though. To intentionally cook aliasing into the video I think is very very dirty. Thats why I'm also sceptical about it being CG. Its interesting that Edge reported on it though.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Nintendo won't be there... meh it'll suck. /drone

So you think any games will be present, or are they just going to talk?

Top Bottom