• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Battle for Middle-Earth: Rohan stomps Isengard (56k NO!!)

ManaByte

Ok, I played one quick skirmish with Rohan going against Isengard, and the Rohan horses are super powerful. Unless you come at them with pikmen, they just flatten you:

Best. Title Screen. Ever.
game20041207125336934ao.jpg

Small army headed out:
game20041207130938216xx.jpg

Hey look! Uruk-Hai!
game20041207131021250uv.jpg

Hey look! Dead Uruk-Hai!
game20041207131026962wc.jpg

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, how's the campaign on this one? All the big PC RTS games this year and this may be the one I buy. Based on those screens this looks like Myth, I didn't like Myth. Tell me this isn't like Myth.

ManaByte

drohne said:
the use of movie stills in the game interface looks unbelievably tacky.

If you don't like the movies then don't play it as it is a movie-based RTS.

They even play clips from the movies in the menus:
game20041207132549457lr.jpg

Brandon F said:
Yea, how's the campaign on this one? All the big PC RTS games this year and this may be the one I buy. Based on those screens this looks like Myth, I didn't like Myth. Tell me this isn't like Myth.

It isn't like Myth. It's like C&C or War3, but very easy and simple to get into.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
oh, i like the movies tremendously; i just think those stills look out of place in the game interface.

Hermit

How is the resource management? Are you able to gather resources and train new units, make new buildings, upgrade stuff, etc?

ManaByte

Hermit said:
How is the resource management? Are you able to gather resources and train new units, make new buildings, upgrade stuff, etc?

Well, I've only played Rohan so far and it's very simple so far. You build farms which produce food and you use that to buy units, build new buildings, and buy upgrades. No real gathering from what I've seen so far.

Is this coming out on the Mac anytime soon? My bro-in-law is one of the biggest LOTR geeks out there and I would want to get this for him for XMas...but he only has a Mac =P He just got 3rd Age for his Gamecube though.

Mr Gump

Banned
There is gathering but only gold for the humans, while orcs can chop down trees.

The game isnt big on resource management at all, or economy as a whole.

ManaByte

It looks like online multiplayer doesn't work with Service Pack 2, despite the game swearing that it does. No one can get it to work with or without the firewall on and it won't work if you have a router.

Mr Gump said:
There is gathering but only gold for the humans, while orcs can chop down trees.

Humans don't "gather" anything. Only Isengard and Mordor gather by chopping down trees, as you stated.

Ironclad_Ninja said:
Yes, it was developed by Westwood.

No, it was developed by EALA. There were three or four ex-Westwood guys on the team.

ManaByte

Got multiplayer to finally work.

If you have a D-Link router, check the EA support site as there's stuff you have to add to your game's .ini. If you have one of two other brands of routers they say there are some issues with them.

If anyone wants to play multi we should start a thread in the online forum.

Ironclad

Ferrarisimo said:
Humans don't "gather" anything. Only Isengard and Mordor gather by chopping down trees, as you stated.

No, it was developed by EALA. There were three or four ex-Westwood guys on the team.
I refuse to call them EALA. EA's assimilation of everything makes me sick.

ManaByte

It's not really worth playing Multi with all the hacks out there. I've seen invincible heros, instant Balrog rushes, and worse.

ManaByte said:
Got multiplayer to finally work.

If you have a D-Link router, check the EA support site as there's stuff you have to add to your game's .ini. If you have one of two other brands of routers they say there are some issues with them.

If anyone wants to play multi we should start a thread in the online forum.

Check the readme for other NAT/Firewall known issues and workarounds.

Ironclad_Ninja said:
I refuse to call them EALA. EA's assimilation of everything makes me sick.

You can refuse to call these boards Gaming-Age Forums, but they're still called Gaming-Age Forums.

ManaByte

Ferrarisimo said:
Check the readme for other NAT/Firewall known issues and workarounds.

The support site has the specific lines you need to add to the .ini for certain D-Link modems. Didn't check the readme.

Anyways, I don't know how much multi I'll play right away. I just played against a Mordor guy and was wiped out by Balrog within 2 minutes of the match.

That said, Mordor is a lot of fun. It's a Zerg rushers dream come true. I just did a skirmish with Mordor vs. Gondor:
game20041207222508489he.jpg

game20041207222513004tt.jpg

ManaByte said:
Anyways, I don't know how much multi I'll play right away. I just played against a Mordor guy and was wiped out by Balrog within 2 minutes of the match.

The hacks will likely be ironed out within the next couple of weeks.

Mr Gump

Banned
Building in set plots is stupid. There is no creativity for base design at all, and you can only build guard towers in predetermined spots on the outer wall also from what i am lead to believe. Did this game have to be made so simplistically?

Wouldnt it of been cool if you could upgrade your 'town' or at least town center in the game to represent something more like minis tirith for gondor? edoras for rohan? isengard complete with the tower of orthank and baradur for mordor?

Or how about something similar to rome total war, but letting you build your own city? Half the fun would be penetrating the enemies walls.

Top Bottom