• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "Before" Trilogy(Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Before Midnight) is the best movie trilogy ever

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
When I see people talk about the best trilogies, people rarely bring this one up, but it's my favorite. I think each of the movies are truly great, although Sunset is my personal favorite of the 3. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy may have the most realistic "couple" and dialogue in any romance-type genre I've ever seen. The dialogue is just so natural and feels so organic and real. Every time I watch each of them, I forget I'm watching a movie for a while, just a great trilogy if you're into the genre. Hell, even if you aren't into romance dramas that much, I recommend it, if you've never seen the trilogy.

I like to talk about movies and create topics about them not just to discuss it, but just in case no one has seen it and is looking for great films to watch, I'm always looking to share some recommendations of mine to others.

I think socially all these movies hold up too, and I love how they were all filmed 10 years apart over the span of 20 years. Something about that is really cool IMO. To see the actors grow organically in real life with their movie counterparts and it fit seamlessly into the plot.

Anyway, big thumbs up to the Before trilogy and Richard Linklater.

nush

Gold Member
It's a fantastic trilogy and the real time in year between each movie means I age and grow exactly at the same time as the characters. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy have a lot of input into the character and their own experiences, check out the Blu-ray / DVD extras.

Papa

Banned
100% agree mate. Caught the first one as a teenager when it was on during the day. Thought it was just gonna be some sappy D-grade romance film for bored housewives and was going to change the channel, but I gave it a chance and got hooked on the dialogue. I can't really explain it -- it definitely wasn't the kind of film I was into back then, but it just clicked immediately. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy have so much chemistry, it's mesmerising. Got the wife to watch them and she too fell in love. I sure hope there's a follow up to Before Midnight.

God Enel

This was recommended so many times here and I've never seen any of those movies. They're for years on my to watch list and I will watch them at some point in my life.

nush

Gold Member
100% agree mate. Caught the first one as a teenager when it was on during the day. Thought it was just gonna be some sappy D-grade romance film for bored housewives and was going to change the channel, but I gave it a chance and got hooked on the dialogue. I can't really explain it -- it definitely wasn't the kind of film I was into back then, but it just clicked immediately. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy have so much chemistry, it's mesmerizing. Got the wife to watch them and she too fell in love. I sure hope there's a follow up to Before Midnight.
I say it's a realistic romance for men. Ethans just so relatable.

God Enel

What are you waiting for?

Good question.. I've no idea. I'm not in the mood for romantic flicks + I'm not watching a lot of movies at the moment, dunno why. The only flicks I watch is when I go to the cinema and that's more or less it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It's funny because the movies really are like almost 100% just dialogue(especially Sunset) and I love it nonetheless. It's just so mesmerizing like stated and it's so interesting and captivating. It's a romance, but it's not cheesy.

I loved Sunrise back in the day, and was kinda scared when I heard they were making a sequel (as I usually get scared of sequels of great movies). For one of the rare occasions, this one didn't disappoint, instead it raised the bar. Sunset is one of the best sequels I've ever seen, and I couldn't think of a better way to continue the story.

I liked Midnight also, but I don't put it up there with the other two. Probably because of the astonishingly high bar set by Sunset.

nush

Gold Member
I loved Sunrise back in the day, and was kinda scared when I heard they were making a sequel (as I usually get scared of sequels of great movies). For one of the rare occasions, this one didn't disappoint, instead it raised the bar. Sunset is one of the best sequels I've ever seen, and I couldn't think of a better way to continue the story.

I liked Midnight also, but I don't put it up there with the other two. Probably because of the astonishingly high bar set by Sunset.
That end of Midnight is super uncomfortable and so realistic you get past bad relationship flashbacks from it. It's great in a different way.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Linklater is the master of slice-of-life movies. No convoluted plot, no excessive drama, no bullshit, just people doing what people do, even if it's in a Hollywood style. It's why I love Dazed & Confused and Everyboy Wants Some!! so much.

I'm so glad he's doing the Bill Hicks biopic.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I only saw Before Sunrise and don't wanna see the rest. I thought it ended perfectly.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. All excellent movies. Great dialogue, very realistic portrayal of relationships and having the same actors with big time games in real life between installments makes it all much more believable. As someone on my third long-term relationship (one 8+ year, one 6+ year and current one 7+--married for a bit over a year--and still going strong) a lot of it hit home.

Top Bottom