• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best 80s album was released by a mysterious man that no one knows about...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
When I hear stories like this, I'm reminded of the Anvil documentary that came out in the late 00s. Nothing but praise and accolade (like OMG these guys could have been as big as Metallica!) Then I heard the album and realized the reason they weren't big was because they sucked, not necessarily because of obscurity.

Piccoro

Best 80s album? Nah son. More like...
544.jpg

Oh thanks a lot, man. Now I'm listening Fade to Black on the job, and will be potentially be fired.
But I don't care, I can't fight this urge...

Rafterman

Banned
When I hear stories like this, I'm reminded of the Anvil documentary that came out in the late 00s. Nothing but praise and accolade (like OMG these guys could have been as big as Metallica!) Then I heard the album and realized the reason they weren't big was because they sucked, not necessarily because of obscurity.

Obscurity is the new black.

It's pretty good. I can see how this could be the current hipster holy grail.

I just realized after seeing the Disintegration cover after forgetting about that album for 20 years, how corny The Cure is and that they are up there with music I never want to hear again in my life, probably somewhere in the list close to Dave Matthews Band.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
This feels weird..

2) that means they don't have the masters, so basically they would use cleaned up audio from a vinyl rip?

This is one of the biggest sticking points for me and something that basically nobody has seemed to address--if the only copy was a physical LP, and it was dug out of some filthy crate somewhere probably covered with scratches and dirt, and presumably they had to rip that to digital to strike new repro masters... it just seems odd, the whole thing.

ymmv

Banned
The story sounds fishy, like a made-up story to launch a new record or side project by an established (hipster) artist.

I think it's a hoax. A couple of years ago there were a series of previously unknown Krautrock discoveries that were later found to be recorded decades later.

-- Edit

There are in fact multiple fake Krautrock records floating about. See for instance

http://rateyourmusic.com/board_message/message_id_is_2958589

http://mutant-sounds.blogspot.nl/2007/12/ultimate-spinach-mind-flowers.html

http://www.bloglovin.com/viewer?pos...e_type=a&blog=11534041&frame=1&click=0&user=0

Valhelm

contribute something
The story sounds fishy, like a made-up story to launch a new record or side project by an established (hipster) artist.

I can't find a single reference to this album from before 2010. I think it's pretty plausible that some hipster artist put out a release with a phony backstory a decade ago, and people assumed it was authentic and thought it was remarkable.

I found pretty weird that i had listened to all the albums that people has brought up, right now the album that i hear most frequently from the eighties is the the uplift mofo party plan by the RHCP , and introducing the hardline by TT darby, and back in black, though my favourite band was Queen at the time, but is arguably not their best decade overall, i´ll give it try

Man... over 75 posts in a thread that says "Best 80s album," and nobody mentioned the undisputed king...

thriller-cover_1431608c.jpg

I'm not even a fan of MJ, but c'mon... Thriller.

In the US, and barely, the answer in London Calling. But that's really a 1979 album.

TheClashLondonCallingalbumcover.jpg

Fake edit: Whoa, Rolling Stone agrees with me.

Best actual 80s album? So.

Peter_Gabriel_So_CD_cover.JPG

okayfrog

Banned
Man... over 75 posts in a thread that says "Best 80s album," and nobody mentioned the undisputed king...

"Thriller" -> "Beat It" -> "Billy Jean" -> "Human Nature"

You'd be hard-pressed to find a block of four songs on an album as solid as that.

So is an incredible album. I think I prefer the one before it, which is called Security.

Also awesome.

Frankly, I have a hard time picking other than London Calling, because there are so many great. Stop Making Sense (live Talking Heads) would be high up there, as would Imperial Bedroom by Elvis Costello, a couple Big Audio Dynamite albums, Thomas Dolby's Golden Age of Wireless, REM's Murmur... I could go on.

shoplifter

I can't find a single reference to this album from before 2010. I think it's pretty plausible that some hipster artist put out a release with a phony backstory a decade ago, and people assumed it was authentic and thought it was remarkable.

I don't see this as being that odd. There have to be thousands of vanity albums that have nothing about them on the internet. All it takes is for there to be maybe 100 copies of something no one knew they wanted until some random guy finds a few stray copies.

Schrade

Ehh.. not everyone likes that kind of music.

I mean, sure, the songs are memorable because they were played all over the place and the videos were all over MTV but that doesn't mean everyone liked them.

Punk/New Wave/Modern Rock was my deal in the 80s.

bender

What time is it?
You are a man of excellant taste sir. Certainly my favourite album of the eighties thats for sure. Master does come quite close though.

I prefer Puppets but you can't go wrong either way. Cliff Burton was awesome.

fauxtrot

Banned
Calling this "the best 80s album" got you the thread derailment you deserved, but the story itself is actually pretty interesting. It's funny how a mysterious tale and an unknown (but likely small) quantity of records can cause something to jump from complete obscurity to collector's item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom