• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best and Worst Games of 2016, as provided by Metacritic

Phediuk

Besides the MP bullshit, whatever, we're not gonna act like scores were hilariously inflated last gen? Game critics will always be terrible, sometimes on their own accord, sometimes because of their job's general time crunch, inability to review work, lack of academic standards for critique, etc, but last gen they were particularly bad. At least this generation they've been more in line.

Honestly, I feel that game reviews have improved considerably the last few years. Reviewers are more likely to use the whole scale now, rather than just 7 through 10, reviews in general read less like product reviews (where there's the graphics paragraph, the sound paragraph, the replay value paragraph, etc.), and score inflation has subsided, so a 90 Metascore actually means something now.

oSoLucky

I'm really at odds with the Meta scores for ReCore, ME: Catalyst and SK Estival Versus. Good reminder to myself that I very rarely fall in line with any particular reviewer and sometimes the consensus.

Also I'm glad to see the deflation again where really good games are getting mid 70s.

Honestly, I feel that game reviews have improved considerably the last few years. Reviewers are more likely to use the whole scale now, rather than just 7 through 10, reviews in general read less like product reviews (where there's the graphics paragraph, the sound paragraph, the replay value paragraph, etc.), and score inflation has subsided, so a 90 Metascore actually means something now.
Absolutely agree man. They're still a flawed bunch, and that will remain for an egregiously vast amount of reasons for a medium trying to inject itself in the critical mainstream, but they're getting better. I kind of think audiences are getting better at responding, but gamers are a terrible bunch.

YouTube's still got the best set of critics this medium will have, and I enjoy sharing a list of a few favorites whenever anyone asks.

Shizuka

believe it or not, it was supposed to be a big thing from nisa this year. they even dedicated a quarter of their interactive wall space at anime expo to it this year, and an art print for it was the prize for the stamp rally (which was danganronpa in the past).

Hindsight is 20/20, they should've chosen a better visual novel that is actually good instead of one that's just relying on its brand.

Stormus

A list not including Blood & Wine isn't to be taken seriously. That 'expansion' is longer than 95% of most full priced single player games.

Saramost 3 top 70, truly a great puzzle adventure game.

But the the under 20 reviewers shit sucks for those niche great games that barely get reviewers to review them

jono51

Banned
Seems weird as hell to up the review cutoff to 20 reviews, when MC already does a cutoff at 7. Why?

Top Bottom