• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best atmosphere/music in fighting game stages

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
NO LISTS

I think the best part about fighting games are their presentation. I've finally come to this realization after years of playing them without having a lick of talent for them. What really sells me on them is how colorful or creative the roster is, how each stage has its own atmosphere, or how good the music is. It's enough to get me invested in a genre I'd otherwise have zero interest in.

After much deliberation, my top three are:

Saint Seiya stage, Jump Ultimate Stars (Music: Sanctuary's Guidepost)

WtvSaintSeiyaL5q.png

Picture is not actually from the game, but uses its background and is the best one I could find. The music in this stage is sublime. I love how space-y and otherworldly it feels, while maintaining the sweeping, heavenly feel of the Saint Seiya universe. It's a fairly simple layout - a bunch of Greek-looking buildings floating in space - but it works for what it is.

Guilty Gear Series, Colony (Music: Momentary Life)

srhdMCc.png

The Guilty Gear series has phenomenal art direction, which of course bleeds over into its stages, as well. I had a very hard time choosing just one, but I think Colony stands out for me because of my personal love of samurai/feudal Japanese settings. Only the thing is, Guilty Gear takes place in the future, so it's actually future-feudal Japan, as the country has been destroyed and has migrated to a colony of survivors instead. The Colony has seen many iterations over the years, with the "AC" version from GGXX pictured above, but I tend to like its presentation in every single game. The idea of it being the last bastion of an entire race of people is really cool. Plus, it's technically Baiken's home stage, and Baiken is awesome.

Tekken 5: Moonlit Wilderness (Music: Moonlit Wilderness)

hqdefault.jpg

Ok, the music basically sells this one by itself. Its epic choir and fast paced techno beat are the audible representation of the concept of a dramatic battle. The slightly eerie and melancholy vibe both the stage and its music have reminds me of something you'd find in a Devil May Cry game. Very gothic, but also very elegant.

What stages do you think have the best feel to them, and why?

AAK

Tekken 4 Mall

Closest thing a video game came to making me feel like Jackie Chan in the finale of Police Story.

liquidtmd

Banned
Ryus Street Fighter 2 stage will always be god tier

If fighting is meant as broad, the Streets of Rage 2 level 1 boss fight is equally epic

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Always partial to the Yoshimitsu stage on Tekken 2. Deep forest and the singing monk soundtrack. Best Yoshi design too.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Echoing the Last Blade 2 love. That entire soundtrack fit so well with the visuals and background design. Also, Last Blade 1. The music wasn't very present in the first game, but the few selections it had were very close to the sequel's quality as were some of the backdrops.

Tekken 5: Moonlit Wilderness (Music: Moonlit Wilderness)

Ok, the music basically sells this one by itself. Its epic choir and fast paced techno beat are the audible representation of the concept of a dramatic battle. The slightly eerie and melancholy vibe both the stage and its music have reminds me of something you'd find in a Devil May Cry game. Very gothic, but also very elegant.

Moonlight Wilderness definitely deserves mention, and is possibly the most epic venue Tekken has ever conceived.

stn

The first time I ever faced A.I. Guile in SF2 was crazy. Also, same with M. Bison. Epic stages and music.

gelf

Street Fighter Alpha 2 : Australia.

ClICuS5.gif

Much like you OP a lot of the appeal of fighting games for me comes more from the presentation then any competitive aspect. The Sagat vs Ryu encounter at the end of arcade mode on that stage nails it completely and is my favourite thing in the entire series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPOrK8-DwtY

Well timed question as I just replayed Virtua Fighter 1 on Saturn and god damn does that soundtrack hold up - bought it immediately after finishing the game.

If I have to pick two stages I would say Akiras for it's epicness which really makes it feel like the end boss fight and Kages stage which is just a brilliant combination of eastern pipes and great bass.

Less atmosphere and more fighting mood, I do think know the nam of the song or even really like metal or screamo but I really enjoy Raven's theme from Guilty Gear Xrd

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Street Fighter Alpha 2 : Australia.

ClICuS5.gif

Much like you OP a lot of the appeal of fighting games for me comes more from the presentation then any competitive aspect. The Sagat vs Ryu encounter at the end of arcade mode on that stage nails it completely and is my favourite thing in the entire series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPOrK8-DwtY
I was actually this close to posting this in the OP. Definitely the stage that stuck out to me the most throughout all of SF's various games. It's so dramatic and foreboding.

Coda

2384939-review_killerinstinct_20131120v2.jpg

I always digged the Devil's Landing stage in Killer Instinct. The rain effects were really nice in this stage.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the stages in JoJo All Star Battle. They weren't over the top, but just how far these stages reached back into the horizon really made these stages feel like part of a big world as opposed to cramped set-pieces. Really airy, with lots of space to move around in. There wasn't an invisible set barrier. Both players could run to the opposite sides of the stage if they wanted to. The use of color helped give these stages a subtle mood, too.
Philadelphia Coastline
VYOoifX.png

Outside the Colosseum in Rome
xg61S1v.png

'Wall Eyes' after the big earthquake in Japan.
DshNYyg.png

Top Bottom