• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Edited Flims (Editor's Guild Magazine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uhhhh....No need for snark, and it wasn't like that. Two in particular stood out to me with one just being an obvious "ahh ok camera looking at wall to hide transition" and this one:
BDfZlZy.gif

which i found quite jarring.

Great movie though.

Razorback

Editing is making choices.

The choreographer makes choices, the stage director, the director, the cinematographer. Everyone makes choices on set.

It read to me like they were on set advising on camera positioning to give the film a sense of seamlessness. Kind of like live editing, if you catch my drift.

They were there helping with the planning. Just because they are editors doesn't make that editing.

Editing is done in post-production.

Mandius

They were there helping with the planning. Just because they are editors doesn't make that editing.

Editing is done in post-production.

This is nonsense. You don't have to be sitting at an Avid before you decide on how to put shots together or what takes to use.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

What could they have been planning, I wonder...? Hmmm...

I can't help but feel this is going to end up in a long old semantic back and forth, so I'm going to stop wasting my time here.

Razorback

This is nonsense. You don't have to be sitting at an Avid before you decide on how to put shots together or what takes to use.

What are you saying here? That the editors where choosing the takes while they were being shot? If the editors were actively participating in the shooting, that makes them assistant directors.

The main point of discussion here is whether or not the editing in Birdman is something special.

If you were to give an award to Birdman for it's outstanding use of the single long shot. Who would you give it to?

The editors?

Why do you think it wasn't nominated for editing at the oscars?

Razorback

What could they have been planning, I wonder...? Hmmm...

I can't help but feel this is going to end up in a long old semantic back and forth, so I'm going to stop wasting my time here.

They were making life easier for the VFX people. Advising the director on the best places to make the cuts.

The amazing thing about Birdman happens during the takes, not the few frames that blends them together.

Mandius

What are you saying here? That the editors where choosing the takes while they were being shot? If the editors were actively participating in the shooting, that makes them assistant directors.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? If not, then I don't believe you have ever had any experience in film or television production.

Razorback

Are you being deliberately obtuse? If not, then I don't believe you have ever had any experience in film or television production.

Could you help me understand? Explain to me how editing isn't just a product of post-production. Maybe give me some examples.

Then if you don't mind, give me some examples of why Birdman's editing is deserving of praise.

You can see my showreel here as proof of my work.

Uhhhh....No need for snark, and it wasn't like that. Two in particular stood out to me with one just being an obvious "ahh ok camera looking at wall to hide transition" and this one:
BDfZlZy.gif

which i found quite jarring.

Great movie though.

I'd argue that its the rapid transition of different light sources rather than an edit that creates any kind of jarring effect there.

Mandius

Could you help me understand? Explain to me how editing isn't just a product of post-production. Maybe give me some examples.

If a director asked you to be on set to advise him on a shot so that it is suitable for some compositing work you were going to be doing later, would you be an assistant director or a vfx supervisor?

Addi

Why are people arguing about Birdman? Rope did it first and it's on the list... Not that the Oscars are necessarily anything to go by, but Birdman wasn't even nominated for best editing (I hope Whiplash wins that one). Enter the void could have been on the list though :/

I understand that it's a completely different approach, but what about editing in animation. I mean the episode on Satoshi Kon by Every frame a painting is a great example.

JFK is the best edited movie of ALL TIME. Easily. The editing is practically a character in itself in that film, as it just piles on the different pieces of the puzzle together and becomes so powerful that you're swept up in it like Costner himself.

Social Network is also up there, as well as being brilliantly directed and the film of our generation and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom