• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best of EGM Live* (2006), presented by This Year

MoI4MPy.png
g8m3tJm.png
hpfURS7.png

This Year is continuing with its best-ofs of 1UP podcasts as we move on to cover EGM Live* and, soon, Retronauts. This is a best-of only for 2006 of EGM Live*. In the past we've done these compilation shows for 1UP Yours and GFW Radio, and there have been plenty of requests for us to keep going with the 1UP programs, so here we go! Here's a bad blurb that I wrote in a hurry before this best-of went up:

EGM Live* was envisaged as the podcast counterpart to the revered gaming magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly. It soon became its own vehicle, however, cultivating its own personalities like Shane Bettenhausen and Crispin Boyer, and introducing the people behind the magazine to the public. EGM Live* was lighter than its sister podcasts 1UP Yours and GFW Radio—disposing of the need to cover news and newly released video games, the cast were free to tackle all manner of topics, often with hilarious results. Time has not done wrong by this podcast—it remains a lighthearted and entertaining examination of the world of video games.

This best-of is just over two hours long, which is a lot shorter than our shows normally are. In its first year EGM Live* was still finding its feet—the shows were usually about half-an-hour long, and the release schedule was a little sporadic, so there wasn't a whole lot of content to pull from. When we cover the show's 2007 and 2008 years (again, this episode is just for 2006) there'll be more content within. Still, that doesn't mean this compilation is running on empty. Here are some selected timestamps:

0:02:15 - Crispin has been at EGM for ten years
0:35:10 - Discussion of the major consoles at E3 2006
1:03:16 - Classic consoles that were bad
1:25:00 - How the cast got their jobs at EGM
1:42:15 - Reader/listener mail

I particularly like the first segment about Crispin; there are some classic EGM stories in there. You can download the MP3 of the show here (153 mins/63 MB), or subscribe to us through RSS or on iTunes. If you want more information about this particular episode, our original post is here.

In the past we've also done best-ofs for the Giant Bombcast and Idle Thumbs, as well as for the precursor to the Bombcast, The HotSpot, which was a criminally underrated podcast. By the way, I hope posting here about my own endeavors is kosher; I know a ton of people here have enjoyed our past compilations, and we've received a ton of support here, which is great and is really appreciated. I hope you enjoy the podcast!

Edit: A technical question -- if you're listening to it on your MP3 player, are you seeing multiple covers come up? I encoded the file with the three different cover images, but I want to know if that's a thing that is compatible with players that are on the market (Android, Apple, and other brands like Cowon, Sony etc).

bigkrev

Really shows you how far we've come as a society- the amount of "retard" and its ilk of non-pc terms flow strongly in this.

Also, the PS3 discussion was fascinating in regards to this next gen. Basically saying that Sony was synonymous with gaming and that these missteps didn't matter because people were conditioned to buy playstations.

Credo

I'm glad to see this. The first 1UP podcast I listened to was EGM Live way back in 2006, so it's responsible for pulling me into their community and exposing me to so much of their other content.

Top Bottom