• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best places to live in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Damn no one wants to live in Jersey? Haters gonna hate

I live an hour from NJ and I avoid that state as much as possible. Tolls all over, traffic jams in odd places, every time I go into NJ I leave pissed off. I wish we could just move their shores over to PA, lol!

I'm from Winston-Salem, and have lived for a while in Charlotte and Boone. It's a great state.

Yep, my gf and I discuss moving down to NC from time to time. It’s currently my second favorite state, only Wyomming is higher on my list. But the winters in WY, dear Lord! I like California a lot too, and Oregon, and Colorado seems splendid as well.

On average, each state should have about 2 locations on this list, if the best places to live were evenly distributed. Illinois, the fifth most-populated state in the USA, has only one place on this list (Chicago) at #90.

Illinois sucks?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
New York didn't make the top 25 and boy am I not surprised. Place is a fucking stinkhole.

Oh, #96.

LOL

As a long time New Yorker who no longer lives in the state I'm not surprised. If you don't live in NYC you are going to be having a variety of issues. Doesn't help with how depressed most of the state is. Where my parents live can be really depressing with all the poverty and drug issues. Sad as its such a naturally beautiful place.

Albany is #36, and I can pretty much assure you nobody has ever said, "you know, of all the places I could live in the state of New York, Albany is definitely the top of the list!"

Albany has changed a lot since I went to college there. Its a lot quieter, safer and the huge party atmosphere from the many colleges is a lot more subdued. All the underaged bars are a thing of the past. Though I admit the town isn't as lively as it used to be, the bar strip has really shrank.

Edit: Oh and its INSANELY cheap to live there. 3 story houses with basements, yards, etc. sometimes sell for like 50,000. Its unbelievable. In Troy, the next city over, my friend lives in a giant 100 year plus stone mansion with a giant stone wall surrounding his entire property that he bought for like 100K. Its nuts.

Reluctantly moving to Boise from Chicago in a couple of months. I always see it on these best cities to live lists so it's somewhat reassuring.

Ovid

I wonder if Evilore knew this before he settled to Austin Texas

Suspicious

Is Austin really that great? What say you Gaf
I don't know about Austin but Texas in general is one of those up and coming states.

Shame about the heat and humidity though.

NYC being a filthy shit hole might be the reason.
I don't people are reading the index in the OP.

NY doesn't deserve to be high in the list.

Kyne

Denver is no joke right now. Housing is insane. Trying desperately to buy this year before things get even more out of control.

Insane here in North Dallas at the moment. I envy the people in my neighborhood who are bailing out and getting PAID. Not as easy to do that when you have a couple kids in school. I've been in my house for two years and could easily sell for 20% more than what I paid.

no better in austin. Girlfriend just bought an 800 sqft condo for almsot $200k.

I wonder if Evilore knew this before he settled to Austin Texas

Suspicious

Is Austin really that great? What say you Gaf

it's pretty good. Only really sucks during all of the tourist events/festivals.

I agree with Austin at #2 as long as you live super central and work at home its the best city possible.

nah, I live in North Austin and it's pretty amazing. Commute to work is EZ because I'm always against the flow of traffic (I work in Round Rock) and the city feels like a whole new place whenever I visit. It's pretty refreshing.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
NYC being a filthy shit hole might be the reason.

The reason is the "value" stat. They scored it at 1.1. Nothing else is even remotely close to that except for maybe San Juan, Puerto Rico, which they gave a 2.3. Only Miami and LA are in the 3s. I don't think any place else is below a 5.

Bread

Banned
Sarasota ahead of San Diego...smh this list is taunting me.

Sarasota is good for Florida but shitty in general.

PillarEN

Speaking of Boise, what are you supposed to do there? Sure they got that goofy blue football field, but no pro teams, nothing close by, do they even get theater or music gigs beyond local artists? You guys just seem to be all alone in the middle of nowhere. I've never heard of anyone going to Boise to visit just because.

My Own Private Idaho wasn't even shot in Idaho. I don't know man.

The reason is the "value" stat. They scored it at 1.1. Nothing else is even remotely close to that except for maybe San Juan, Puerto Rico, which they gave a 2.3. Only Miami and LA are in the 3s. I don't think any place else is below a 5.

Which makes no sense. SF is just as expensive, and more so in rent, yet it scored a 5.3 in value.

Dear everyone,

Don't move to CO, it sucks here. This study can say as much as it wants, but Colorado Springs is turning to shit at a rapid rate. Rent prices are getting out of control, jobs are getting harder to find, and the entire place is too crowded now.

Public infrastructure is still terrible, regardless of how much money is being raised in the city because of medical weed. The city is also expanding in one direction (east) without a rapid means to get there. I live downtown and it takes me about 30 minutes to get to the eastern hub of the city. There also isn't anything to do in town unless you enjoy shitty bars.

The best part about Raleigh-Durham is that the different cities in the area that make up the metropolitian economic area are very diverse. No matter what kind of person you are or what kind of community you want to live in, you can find it and fit in the Triangle.

higemaru

Harrisburg in the top 25? How. Philly and Pittsburgh are both better cities. (and hometown pride says that Scranton is better)

The best part about Raleigh-Durham is that the different cities in the area that make up the metropolitian economic area are very diverse. No matter what kind of person you are or what kind of community you want to live in, you can find it and fit in the Triangle.

Unless you're LGBT, of course.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I JUST visited Colorado this week for the first time and let me tell you, my friends, broke out in goosebumps when I saw the silhouette of the Rockies against the setting sun when driving into Denver. Its also clean, modern, and weed. Just hours away from some of the most beautiful mountain vistas, trails for days and mind boggling difference of natural environments in just one state.

I'd consider moving there for a time but I don't really care for living in a land locked state. I like having the ocean 30mins to an hour away.

Seattle breh

1B0A1uS.jpg

daveo42

Banned
37 isn't a bad spot for Cincy. It's actually quite nice here, even if it still is Ohio.

Dayton at 69 is a joke tho.

Redd

I always wanted to live in DC. It's got a decent public transportation service and isn't too big. Sucks having to drive 3 hours to catch a game on Sundays.

Representing # 3 on the list - Northwest Arkansas. I moved here less than a year ago and I absolutely love it. The cost of living is low, the surrounding Ozark mountains are gorgeous (the greenery is seriously something to behold), the job market is great, traffic is rarely a problem, and people are usually well-educated thanks to the University of Arkansas and the corporate HQ of Walmart being located here.

I have family outside of Colorado Springs that I visit often and I love it there too. As a North Carolina transplant here in Northwest Arkansas, Colorado, and some places back home are probably the only places I'd be willing to move to.

Edit: I'd move back to DC as well if a good job opportunity presented itself when my kids are older.

Choomp

Banned
Oh man people really hate NYC. Like, bringing it up in this thread for no reason kind of hate. It's a real nice place to live if you've got it all figured out

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Looks like Housing prices killed cities where it is expensive to own. One of the reasons why Seattle was fairly low.

It's actually VERY reasonable if you move from San Francisco twelve years ago and trade up to a bigger house during a soft spell in the Seattle market. Why not do that?

aliengmr

Currently sitting at 5872 ft, and loving it.

Denver has really improved over the years. I live in the burbs, houses here are snapped up so fast it's crazy. Under contract practically the same day the sign is put up.

Couldn't live anywhere else.

olympia

San Jose woot

it's weird that SF and sj made it but Oakland didn't. the east bay is easily just as nice imo

Also lmao at the only so cal city that made list being San diego

God damn. Harrisburg (my hometown) beats Philly and Pitt?

The only time I'll time I'll be able to gloat about this, so I may as well drink it in.

Mmmmm. Tastes like affordable housing and crime.

Really though, Hbg is alright. The city itself needs work (and a lot of it), but the HBG-Hershey-Carlisle area as a whole is quite nice.

Jeels

I live in #23.

Interesting that every big city in Texas made the list.

Texas cities are fantastic hubs of international culture. Houston is now the most diverse city in the nation. It's the rural areas that give Texas it's reputation.

Nipo

Dear everyone,

Don't move to CO, it sucks here. This study can say as much as it wants, but Colorado Springs is turning to shit at a rapid rate. Rent prices are getting out of control, jobs are getting harder to find, and the entire place is too crowded now.

Public infrastructure is still terrible, regardless of how much money is being raised in the city because of medical weed. The city is also expanding in one direction (east) without a rapid means to get there. I live downtown and it takes me about 30 minutes to get to the eastern hub of the city. There also isn't anything to do in town unless you enjoy shitty bars.

I hear that from my friends in CO all the time. Turns out they just don't know what high rents are for an in demand city. New studio apartments in DC start at around $2,500 for a little under 500 square feet.

If you can live in a city without a roommate and spend less than 50% of your gross on rent/mortgage you're still living the dream compared to high COL areas.

TylerD

NW Arkansas is really nice if you are a fan of fall. My girlfriend and I made a trip from Lubbock to Bentonville then on to Eureka Springs last Halloween to check out some fall foliage. Spent a whole day at Crystal Bridges Museum and walking around trails. Talked about how it would probably be a nice place to live. Definitely less conservative than Lubbock!

crystal_bridges_museum_of_american_art__bentonville_8285.jpg

Oh man people really hate NYC. Like, bringing it up in this thread for no reason kind of hate. It's a real nice place to live if you've got it all figured out

It's cool. We'll just continue living in the best city in the world, and let the flyover states fight over these nonsensical lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom