• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Rapper Alive, Every Year Since 1979 | Complex

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Pretty great list till it hit the mid to late 2000's
Nicki fucking minaaj being on there is the height of insanity.

DKHustlin

yo say what u want but his output in 2011 and 2012 was just fire

e Myspace Collection[13]

Released: February 11, 2011
Label: BasedWorld Records
Format: Digital download

Red Flame: Devil Music Edition[12]

Released: February 18, 2011

Illusions Of Grandeur[11]

Released: March 10, 2011

Bitch Mob: Respect Da Bitch Vol.1[12]

Released: May 16, 2011

I Forgive You[11]

Released: August 28, 2011

Black Flame[11]

Released: September 13, 2011

The Silent President[11]

Released: October 11, 2011

BasedGod Velli[11]

Released: November 14, 2011

Blue Eyes[12]

Released: December 20, 2011

Goldhouse[12]

Released: December 25, 2011

White Flame[11]

Released: January 31, 2012

God's Father[11][12]

Released: February 27, 2012

#1 Bitch[12]

Released: March 30, 2012

The BasedPrint 2[12]

Released: April 9, 2012

Trapped In BasedWorld[12]

Released: April 25, 2012

Water Is D.M.G. Pt. 1[12]

Released: May 29, 2012

Green Flame[12]

Released: June 23, 2012

Based Freestyle Collection[14]

Released: July 2, 2012

Rich After Taxes[12]

Released: July 5, 2012

Task Force[12]

Released: July 21, 2012

Obama BasedGod[12]

Released: July 30, 2012

Based Jam[12]

Released: August 29, 2012

Frozen[12]

Released: September 7, 2012

Illusions of Grandeur 2[12]

Released: October 9, 2012

Halloween H2O[15]

Released: October 29, 2012

Crime Fetish[12]

Released: November 22, 2012

Glassface[12]

Released: December 8, 2012

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
biggie twice over pac once is crazy, biggie had two hits and the rest of his shit sucked. most overrated rapper

no killa cam as well list needs help

also no beasties?? in 1988-89? over slick rick! this list needs serious help.

no lil b either!

futuramafry.jpg

DKHustlin

it's cool that you're one of the few that unironically likes lil b, but be serious.

haha i guess but give him 2011 or 2012 and not give it to drake twice

say what you want but lil b laid a blueprint for a lot of rappers now (future, rae sremmurd, future, young thug, chief keef)

DKHustlin

Putting out a wealth of MySpace tier mixtapes does not a good rapper make.
Also you said Biggie had 2 hits gtfo.

biggie had juicy and hypnotize

thats it

the comparisons between him and pac make me laugh considering pac had daz producing fire hits in his prime. all eyez on me is a better album than biggies whole career, then you throw in me against the world and the comparisons just make no sense.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
2011: DRAKE
2012: DRAKE
2013: KENDRICK LAMAR
2014: NICKI MINAJ
2015: DRAKE

LMAO

At least Kendrick made it in 2013

Bread

Banned
haha i guess but give him 2011 or 2012 and not give it to drake twice

say what you want but lil b laid a blueprint for a lot of rappers now (future, rae sremmurd, future, young thug, chief keef)
lil b never was or will be the greatest rapper alive.

thats it

the comparisons between him and pac make me laugh considering pac had daz producing fire hits in his prime. all eyez on me is a better album than biggies whole career, then you throw in me against the world and the comparisons just make no sense.
biggie died at 24 and had one album released before that...

thats it

One More Chance
Notorious
Me and my Bitch
Etc. Etc.

Pac had more variety in his subject matter, I'll admit that much. But no matter how you feel about Biggies music his influence is undeniable. Jay-Z, one of the most successful rappers ever frequently bites off my man. His songs STILL get play to this day. Teenagers today. THREE GENERATIONS later still know his music. Once again, you're entitled to your opinions but the results speak for themselves here.

DKHustlin

lil b never was or will be the greatest rapper alive.

biggie died at 24 and had one album released before that...

yea i know but people act like he was a hit machine. tupac was a hit machine. me against the world was a seminal album. biggie had two good songs, other than that, he just got propped up by his beef with tupac and the fetishization of east coast vs west coast rap

Biggies many many great songs were too angry, raw, powerful, and dangerous for radio consumption. His mastery of flow is still among the best.

Oh well, this list doesn't have Monch. I love most of the rappers on the list, but meh.

Bread

Banned
yea i know but people act like he was a hit machine. tupac was a hit machine. me against the world was a seminal album. biggie had two good songs, other than that, he just got propped up by his beef with tupac and the fetishization of east coast vs west coast rap
tupac also had years and years of material. biggie's impact on the genre was immediate.

How doesn't Kendrick have 3 years...

This.

Nicki Minaj won out over JCOLEGOINGDOUBLEPLATWITHNOEATURES as well?

I mean, it's not perfect but I really enjoyed FHD. Maybe because it released so late?

EDIT: Oh best rapper alive? Shit. That changes pretty much everything this millennium then

DKHustlin

One More Chance
Notorious
Me and my Bitch
Etc. Etc.

Pac had more variety in his subject matter, I'll admit that much. But no matter how you feel about Biggies music his influence is undeniable. Jay-Z, one of the most successful rappers ever frequently bites off my man. His songs STILL get play to this day. Teenagers today. THREE GENERATIONS later still know his music. Once again, you're entitled to your opinions but the results speak for themselves here.

i agree with juicy and hypnotize but those are his only good songs worth playing, imo. a lot of other rappers still get play today but it doesnt mean they were the best in their day. i am forever grateful to biggie for those two songs but putting on the list twice against pac, especially in 95 makes no sense.

Bread

Banned
i agree with juicy and hypnotize but those are his only good songs worth playing, imo. a lot of other rappers still get play today but it doesnt mean they were the best in their day. i am forever grateful to biggie for those two songs but putting on the list twice against pac, especially in 95 makes no sense.
Gimme the Loot? Big Poppa? Just say you don't like him, don't act like his shit is overhyped.

This shit is so disrespectful to J.Cole. Like homie didnt save 2014 by himself with 2014 Forest Hills Drive.

And Im sorry. Kendrick released the most important album of the last 20 years. He easily wins 2013 and 2015. Drake can have 2011 because Take Care was fire.

DMX best rapper of 1998 - Does anybody have a problem with that?

The DMX I remember is the one from early 1999-2000s. But it is also a mirage. I remember him, Xzibit, Ludacris, Busta Rhymes. Those were the guys. But when Nelly came, it felt like Fat Joe and Ja Rules faces were blasted everywhere.

And after that, all I remember was the hype about Jet Li being in this collaboration with DMX. Romeo Must Die, The One, Kiss of the Dragon, and after that he went away.

But the thing is, the world did not forget about DMX. Few gets blasted regularly at gyms all over the world as DMX party bangers. They are some of the most fun songs to sing along to. And the music videos were amazing too!

qcf x2

1999: JAY Z
2000: EMINEM
2001: JAY Z
2002: EMINEM
2003: 50 CENT
2004: T.I.
2005: JEEZY
2006: LIL WAYNE
2007: KANYE WEST
2008: LIL WAYNE
2009: JAY Z
2010: KANYE WEST
2011: DRAKE
2012: DRAKE
2013: KENDRICK LAMAR
2014: NICKI MINAJ
2015: DRAKE

Yeah, I'm glad I mostly left hiphop behind. :-\

DKHustlin

Gimme the Loot? Big Poppa? Just say you don't like him, don't act like his shit is overhyped.

big poppa ill give you but gimme the loot is average. his shit is overhyped but i hold him to the same standard as the guy who made juicy. how you gonna put out one of the best hip hop songs ever and then everything is just average and ok?

and also i agree with big takin the 97 spot cause he did have an impact. he deserves that, but giving him 95 just perpetuates this myth that he was on 2pacs level

This list was created by white people for white people. And the White people who created this list, probably wasn't born to hear most of the rappers when they were relevant.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Maybe it was just the cirlces I was in but I can't remember any rapper's album as hyped or built up virally as Get Rich of Die Tryin. And then 50 was EVERYWHERE.

Similarly, I'm surprised Game wasn't their pick for 2006 since Tha Carter III was 2007 and Doctor's Advocate was 2006. I remember One Blood playing on MTV ALL the time and that was in prime G-Unit popularity. Like Wayne had buzz in 2006 but Wayne has had buzz since Hot Boys

Maybe it was just the cirlces I was in but I can't remember any rapper's album as hyped or built up virally as Get Rich of Die Tryin. And then 50 was EVERYWHERE.

Similarly, I'm surprised Game wasn't their pick for 2006 since Tha Carter III was 2007 and Doctor's Advocate was 2006. I remember One Blood playing on MTV ALL the time and that was in prime G-Unit popularity. Like Wayne had buzz in 2006 but Wayne has had buzz since Hot Boys

BLOO BLOO BLOO BLOO BLOO BLOO ONE BLOOD ONE BLOOD ONE BLOOD

doctor's advocate kinda sucked tbh. but Get Rich or Die Trying hype was huuuge.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

so you're telling me that you listen to HipHop, and you hear:
"Kick in the Door"
"Unbelievable"
"Get Money"
"Warning"
"10 Crack Commandment"
"Notorious Thug"
"The What"
etc

and you just cant figure out why Biggie was a big deal? you telling Biggie is ONLY know for 2 songs?

He got 2 Albums that where danm near full of hits, respect from the underground to mainstream, hits in the club to streets, lyrically and stylistically repected, great live performer....you can like Pac better but, biggie is overrated? nope

DKHustlin

so you're telling me that you listen to HipHop, and you hear:
"Kick in the Door"
"Unbelievable"
"Get Money"
"Warning"
"10 Crack Commandment"
"Notorious Thug"
"The What"
etc

and you just cant figure out why Biggie was a big deal? you telling Biggie is ONLY know for 2 songs?

He got 2 Albums that where danm near full of hits, respect from the underground to mainstream, hits in the club to streets, lyrically and stylistically repected, great live performer....you can like Pac better but, biggie is overrated? nope

i only like those two songs by him. his other shit was ok but nothing crazy good. and i agree he deserves to be on the list, esp 97, but not 95. i agree biggie is a monumental hip hop figure, even if i personally dont get the hype, but i dont agree with him on the list twice, esp 95

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom