• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best traps in gaming

18ac942278c9be412f62c583c71ca8ff.jpg

Look at those beauties, man I'm jealous.

On a more serious note the ones grinding my gears at the moment are in the division survival mode. I hear a couple of beeps so I slow down but my friend comes running by and boom! Half my life!
hqdefault.jpg

IF4EhBm.gif

Carelessly jumping into the path of an arrow trap has caused more deaths in Spelunky than I care to remember.

Most traditional roguelikes feature all manner of traps as well. Traps that lock you in place, release poison gas, explore, knock you into a wall, remove your equipment, make you drop items, drop you down to lower dungeon floors, and all other manner of nefarious things. A lot of them will let you use the traps to your advantage against the enemies too if you're smart enough.

UCBooties

I think the cruelest trap in games is the save point trap in FFXII. They are always placed where you really need a save point and they can be nasty fights.

Not sure if it counts as a trap but in No More Heroes, the first time I fell for Bad Girl's instant kill trick I was pissed.

She falls down and pretends to start crying, and if you get close to her, a cutscene triggers where she trips you with her baseball bat and beats you to death.

I think it was in Fallout 3, one of the gas stations you go into is deserted and as you enter it triggers a Rube Goldberg kind of thing. I was amazed and walked right up to it watching it intently as it made its way across the store... Then it dawned on me that it was a trap, my eyes grew wide and I attempted to run but it was too late. The land mine/grenade went off severely injuring my character.

Edit: found a video of it.

https://youtu.be/MYlXhPvAzjY

kirblar

Uhhhhh I don't know anything about this series. Is it heavily BDSM-themed or is that just a one-off? Can you do this stuff to male characters too?
The Deception series is equal opportunity w regards to its victims gender, yeah. It's all about rube Goldberg style trap combos.

Jawmuncher

Übermatik;227718849 said:
Knew I'd see some bans in this thread. Good! Anyway...

838.gif

and

oFhaVjI.gif

They were banned for using the term 'trap' in a derogatory manner (towards transgender individuals).
Good ol snake. Smash is really missing a trap character now. duck Hunt doesn't come close with that dumb can of his.

Ah I didn't realize thanks for info

No worries! I edited my post for greater clarity, but the idea is the same. It's off topic, but it's unlikely those who were banned intended harm/perceived transgender individuals in a negative manner - 'trap' is mistakenly used as an endearing term by many, but the real concern is in the definition of the word and how it's misused/perpetuates stigma and stereotype against transgender people. 'Trap' suggests someone who has intent to deceive.

Bridget is not trans tho

I didn't notice people mentioning Bridget, but the issue remains - again, 'trap' implies nefarious intent. Technicalities don't really matter, let's just not use the term.

Dark_castle

This thread actually became a trap for some posters who tried to be funny.

My favorite trap? Probably the first boss of Dark Souls. Talk about one beginners trap.

EAPidgeon

I'm just glad From didn't make attacking a chest destroy the item in Dark Souls. I attack every chest I see reflexively at this point.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm just glad From didn't make attacking a chest destroy the item in Dark Souls. I attack every chest I see reflexively at this point.

Would be funny if in the next game they make it so they stay hidden unless you open it, even if you pre attack it :D

The Deception series is equal opportunity w regards to its victims gender, yeah. It's all about rube Goldberg style trap combos.

Um this is fucking hilarious and amazing, what rock have I been living under where I'm first seeing what these games are about haha

Gonna have to check it out thanks. I wish it was more heavily BDSM-themed like seen in the gif but it looks like a good time either way to exercise my sadistic tendencies. It is also definitely a good fit for this thread lol

LOL guess this game was made for me

kirblar

Um this is fucking hilarious and amazing, what rock have I been living under where I'm first seeing what these games are about haha

Gonna have to check it out thanks. I wish it was more heavily BDSM-themed like seen in the gif but it looks like a good time either way to exercise my sadistic tendencies.

LOL guess this game was made for me
There was a long ass time gap between the original ps1/2 games and the most recent entry.

GamerSciz

The other key thing to note about Mimics is that if you wait a a few seconds a mimic chest will actually lift the top some to reveal it's eyes. It physically moves the top up to peek out at you. If the chest doesn't move it's a real chest.This is true at least in Bloodborne. I never tested in other dark/demon souls games. #simpleasthat

Dark Souls mimics are my favorites. Hard to actually get caught by one when you know what to look for, but that's part of why they're so good. Consistent design that asks you to pay attention, instead of just working as a jumpscare.

But that's the beauty, you don't have to.

15B65rv.jpg

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Was reminded by the Until Dawn thread of a trap in that game which is pretty cool in story context.
Pretty early on, while exploring an abandoned asylum, you stumble across a dismembered arm sticking out of a table made to do a continuous waving motion through a mechanism. If you choose to touch the arm, it pulls down and activates a bear trap. At that point in the game it is unclear what exactly the trap was for and who set it. Later in the game, when the characters are informed by a hunter that they are being hunted by the mythical Wendigo, it becomes clear that this trap was set by the Wendigo Hunter with the intent of capturing a Wendigo as they are cannibalistic and only see motion. The asylum was used by the hunter as his base and a prison for the Wendigo he already captured.

Also, thanks mods. <3

The other key thing to note about Mimics is that if you wait a a few seconds a mimic chest will actually lift the top some to reveal it's eyes. It physically moves the top up to peek out at you. If the chest doesn't move it's a real chest.This is true at least in Bloodborne. I never tested in other dark/demon souls games. #simpleasthat

They also make noise too, in the DS / SoulsBorne series.

Now Dragon's Dogma, good luck.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The swinging blades and the boulders from Sen's Fortress are etched into my brain permanently. So damn good.

You can see the third boulder on the ceiling before it drops.

Yeah you're right but it's easy to have a false sense of security when you're playing especially after evading 2 previous boulders. A 3rd one is just totally unexpected. Plus, when evading the first 2, you're full of adrenaline and won't act as you should. Believe me haha.

Top Bottom