• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Biggest Humanitary Crisis In The World Is Getting A Whole Lot Worse

Oersted

Cholera Outbreak in Yemen

Hilal al-Asri brought his wife to a hospital in Yemen’s capital, Sana’a, nearly two weeks ago, expecting her cholera would be cleared up quickly and they’d be on their way.

Today, three of his five children share a bed next to hers, all of them hooked up to fluid drips in a makeshift ward hastily assembled to deal with an outbreak that has killed 206 and is suspected to have infected more than 17,200 since 27 April, according to the Ministry of Health’s latest count.

It’s “a disaster”, 35-year old al-Asri says, watching Yemen’s epidemic take hold of his family and home city at a speed that is deeply worrisome – Shinjiro Murata, head of mission for Médecins Sans Frontières, which alone has treated 1,670 patients, told IRIN he is “very concerned that the disease will continue to spread and become out of control”.

Those controlling the capital – an uneasy alliance of Houthi rebels and forces loyal to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh – have this week declared a “state of emergency” in the city, which alone has 4,000 cases of cholera.

A Saudi Arabia-led regional coalition began airstrikes in a bid to restore President Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi to power in March 2015 – some 5,000 civilians fatalities have been counted, although the actual toll is thought to be far higher.

However, the battle could, at least in the minds of the Saudi-led coalition, bring them ever closer to Sana’a. There, even in the midst of the epidemic, is evidence of both grim political humour and conspiracy theory as Donald Trump prepares to fly to Riyadh on Friday on the first stop of his first overseas trip. On a drainage wall, a piece of graffiti reads: “Cholera is Trump’s gift to al-Saud ahead of his visit”. But Trump brings other gifts too. His administration is set to complete a deal worth more than $100 billion in weapons sales to Saudi Arabia.

Much more (sadly) here

http://www.irinnews.org/feature/2017/05/17/country-its-knees-cholera-takes-hold-war-weary-yemen

Lock if old

RoKKeR

Wow, had no idea this was going on. Spent a good amount of time studying epidemic cholera this past semester. Such an awful disease that is easily preventable by modern infrastructure and institutions... shameful that we have yet to eradicate it fully.

Shiloa

Yemen is almost completely ignored in Western media, it's crazy. BBC covered it a little and that's how I know of it.

Buzzman

Banned
They can't talk about a cholera outbreak, because then they'd also have to talk about how Saudi Arabia is currently destroying Yemen.

Oersted

Updated numbers aka its getting alot worse

Cholera continues to spread at an unprecedented rate throughout Yemen affecting men, women, and children who have for more than two years withstood the consequences of a conflict that is collapsing institutions and social safety nets. With urgency I appeal to United Nations Members States for financial and political support to help avert what is sure to be an additional and devastating blow to Yemen.

In the last three weeks, health authorities have reported over 35,500 suspected cholera cases, a third of whom are children, and 361 associated deaths in 19 of 22 governorates.

Malnutrition and cholera are interconnected; weakened and hungry people are more likely to contract cholera and cholera is more likely to flourish in places where malnutrition exists. Seventeen million people in Yemen are food insecure, including 462,000 children in the grip of acute malnutrition. Seven million people in Yemen face the possibility of famine and now over one hundred thousand people are estimated to be at risk of contracting cholera.

http://reliefweb.int/report/yemen/s...-mr-jamie-mcgoldrick-urgent-need-funding-halt

Dynomutt

I thought you were talking about Haiti. I'll exit.

The severe lack of posts in this thread reflects how overlooked this is

I mean Haiti was rocked by Cholera and by those Sri Lankan molesters but no one said a thing. UN even passed a decree covering them with immunity. Oh this world.

Oersted

I thought you were talking about Haiti. I'll exit.

I mean Haiti was rocked by Cholera and by those Sri Lankan molesters but no one said a thing. UN even passed a decree covering them with immunity. Oh this world.

Yemen is getting bombed and aids are stopped at the border. Plus Cholera. Plus civil war. Plus famine.

Philly40

If the Yemen was a good bit further south, Sting and Bono would be organizing a concert -

unfortunately it's the wrong area, the wrong religion and the wrong time.

Dynomutt

Yemen is getting bombed and aids are stopped at the border. Plus Cholera. Plus civil war. Plus famine.

I've had family killed from floods and lost count of the people sick with Cholera and have dysentery. We can go back and forth it's not going to solve either crisis over night. But Haiti was long forgotten. I hope things can change for Yemen. Like I said...Oh this world.

Oersted

I've had family killed from floods and lost count of the people sick with Cholera and have dysentery. We can go back and forth it's not going to solve either crisis over night. But Haiti was long forgotten. I hope things can change for Yemen. Like I said...Oh this world.

Sorry to hear that. Forgive my annoyance, but the "I thought this was about... " are a bit too much. Well its not about that country, pointing that out isn't a lot of contribution.

PS: If it is any help, I'm already preparing a Haiti thread

Can't have a successful country ran by free black men and women. We don't want to send the wrong message to folks further north.

That said I'm so sorry to everyone affected by this. Innocent people caught up in the sick power machinations of evil people all over the world. We all suffer because of it and many pay with their lives. I hope to see the tables turned somewhat before I leave this world.

The severe lack of posts in this thread reflects how overlooked this is
Indeed. It's tragic just how completely this is ignored by the media. But it's pretty difficult to bring up the subject without criticizing Saudi Arabia's role in the situation, which is unfortunately a taboo. And so it continues unabated, with few people even realizing it at the same time Trump's making arm deals with the Saudi government, no doubt which will be used in part to make the situation even worse. It's just messed up on so many levels.

Dynomutt

Sorry to hear that. Forgive my annoyance, but the "I thought this was about... " are a bit too much. Well its not about that country, pointing that out isn't a lot of contribution.

PS: If it is any help, I'm already preparing a Haiti thread

Can't have a successful country ran by free black men and women. We don't want to send the wrong message to folks further north.

That said I'm so sorry to everyone affected by this. Innocent people caught up in the sick power machinations of evil people all over the world. We all suffer because of it and many pay with their lives. I hope to see the tables turned somewhat before I leave this world.

Apologies Oersted I think were on the same side with this one. I just worded my initial post wrong. Yemen is no less important. This thread just struck an emotional. Usually I'm all gifs and nonsense but this was different.

It baffles me how a country less than 900 miles from Florida and right next to the DR is in such shambles (From corruption to poor humanitarian services). Did you know Haiti has a political change on average every 2-3 years. How can a country grow with 0 satbility? Currently 50,000 Haitians Face Uncertain Future Under Trump Administration. They are earthquake refugees, "Now the Trump administration has until May 23 to make a decision. If the administration does nothing, those Haitians who have been allowed to live and work in the U.S. legally under this status will have to leave in July." I can submit tons of information but I do not want to derail this thread.

I came into this thread and my first 2 guesses were Syria and Somalia. I was wrong. Man, Yemen has completely flown under the radar of the worldwide media. :(

Necrovex

Thought this would be a thread about Venezuela.

Just fucked up shit all around the world.

And we still haven't reached the tipping point yet. Climate change is devastating Sub-Saharan Africa. I expect we'll see the famine situation gets worse, especially with Trump wanting to cut down foreign aids.

For example, when I served in Peace Corps, my village was completely barren. Only after two years (when the drought subsided), I realize my community actually had greenery.

Top Bottom