• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread XX

CommanderBuck

Neo Member
Now I really want a black netflix. But with shows that are created by black folks, for black folks. And they go with every genre, action, sci fi, mystery, fantasy, etc. I bet there hundreds of people out who have incredible show ideas with black cast lined up and ready to go, but they will never get a chance in the spotlight because Hollywood or media in general. Truly a shame.
This would be the best!

Now I really want a black netflix. But with shows that are created by black folks, for black folks. And they go with every genre, action, sci fi, mystery, fantasy, etc. I bet there hundreds of people out who have incredible show ideas with black cast lined up and ready to go, but they will never get a chance in the spotlight because Hollywood or media in general. Truly a shame.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/24/brown-sugar-on-apple-tv/

something like this?

Johndoey

Banned
S5ep3ar.jpg

D i Z

We all need to see Black Panther 5 times in theater so these fucks get the message that black stories can be more than "we slaves" and "we gangsters". Give me black sci-fi. Give me afrofuturism, black mystery movies, black romances, black dramas that don't involve criminality.

So many god damn stories and ideas to use, let people use them.

We can't even get a long running black cooking show to expose people to world foods. With all of the cuisine we master worldwide, we still can't get that because people are challenged.

Malyse

Damn. That would be a clever application of Time magic. And terrifying.

Somehow, I believe this.

I've never been coy about my villainy.

----

So Senran Kagura is going full tilt on trash pandering. A pinball game whee the table is a woman and a dating sim. Jesus Christ. This plus the fact that the last game was a shameless (and inferior) Splatoon ripoff? There are more games that you should skip than ones you show play in the series. Oh well. Hopefully the writer moves on to something else, cause the character visual novel stuff was superlative.

Goddamn you, nostalgia. Just went on YouTube to look up gameplay of racing games from long ago and now I got Wave Race 64 theme running through my head. And also the Cruis'n World theme as well.

You got the speeed, you got the POWAH!

To cruuuise the woooorld!!!!

Goddamn you, nostalgia. Just went on YouTube to look up gameplay of racing games from long ago and now I got Wave Race 64 theme running through my head. And also the Cruis'n World theme as well.

You got the speeed, you got the POWAH!

To cruuuise the woooorld!!!!

I can't forget the classic theme of Daytona USA.

RedSwirl

Posted yet?

http://thegrapevine.theroot.com/amazon-is-also-making-a-civil-war-alt-history-series-b-1797437133

Amazon Is Also Making a Civil War Alt-History Series, but It’s for Us, by Us

Deadline reports that Aaron McGruder, the creator of the Peabody Award-winning animated series The Boondocks, has been working with Will Packer (producer of Straight Outta Compton and the remake of Roots) for over a year on Black America, a groundbreaking series based on the idea that freed slaves received reparations after the end of the Civil War and formed their own country.

Kreed

If Confederate actually stays in production long enough to get a trailer, what DD said is going to be in it, along with Japanese slave owners/Native American slave owners/etc...

You know what HBO should have done? Bought the TV rights to The Promised Neverland.

Malyse

If Confederate actually stays in production long enough to get a trailer, what DD said is going to be in it, along with Japanese slave owners/Native American slave owners/etc...

You know what HBO should have done? Bought the TV rights to The Promised Neverland.
OH MY GOD.

RedSwirl

Wait what? Where did those other details come from?

Oh, and here's another alternate history scenario I found interesting some time ago -- "What if the Mongols had just kept going?" http://toixstory.deviantart.com/art/The-Land-of-Kurultai-583086964

For a quick rundown (to my understanding), the Mongol horde pretty much steamrolled Eastern Europe, a lot of Asia, and the Middle East in the middle of the 13th century which is one of the reasons some of those places are less developed than "the West" today, but they stopped and turned back just shy of invading Germany. The main reason is because the Khan died and they had to go back and pick a new one, though some also say Mongols wouldn't have been able to fight in German climate. The above story has the Mongols getting all the way to Paris. In the end, only Britain and bits of Spain and Italy escape.

We can't even get a long running black cooking show to expose people to world foods. With all of the cuisine we master worldwide, we still can't get that because people are challenged.
Shit I can name like eight white michellen star chefs and can't name one contemporary black equivalent.

A black Gordon Ramsay would scare the piss put of people lol.

I feel like I'll need to see the first episode of Confederate at least to know for myself how bad or really bad it is.

I'll also be heartbroken if Black America is ass

Bronx-Man

Banned
I will admit, seeing the mostly white late 20s-mid 30s sphere that obsesses over GoT to the point of devoting entire podcasts, talk shows, & thinkpieces for it trying to do the same for a show about the fucking Confederacy would be pretty funny.

"Hey guys, Chris Hardwick here for tonight's episode of Talking Confederacy!"

We all need to see Black Panther 5 times in theater so these fucks get the message that black stories can be more than "we slaves" and "we gangsters". Give me black sci-fi. Give me afrofuturism, black mystery movies, black romances, black dramas that don't involve criminality.

So many god damn stories and ideas to use, let people use them.
Ill still be renting out an entire theatre room for it. Probably for the week it premieres.

I will admit, seeing the mostly white late 20s-mid 30s sphere that obsesses over GoT to the point of devoting entire podcasts, talk shows, & thinkpieces for it trying to do the same for a show about the fucking Confederacy would be pretty funny.

"little Tommy seems conflicted, torn between his love for his slave and his father's need to sell her for a profit"

That will probably be a sentence out of somebody mouth

Shy

"Hey guys, Chris Hardwick here for tonight's episode of The South Rising!"

OR

"Hey guys, Chris Hardwick here for tonight's episode of Talking fields!"
"little Tommy seems conflicted, torn between his love for his slave and his father's need to sell her for a profit"

That will probably be a sentence out of somebody mouth
It would be funny if it wasn't so true.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

That would be awesome. I'd love a sci-fi show about 2 nerdy Black guys in love.

D i Z

Think of the worst way the Civil War could've turned out and then times that by ten. Boom Confedrate startup.

No. I mean, How does it actually happen? Give me your reasoning and not just the fear mongering. Tell me how, and why. Work a little bit with the concept and tell me how you would do it.

Slaves fighting for the Confederate beat the Union in a decisive battle. The go on to win their freedom and become known as the "Good Ones"

We already know that they wouldn't arm their economic mules en masse on their own territory (for a lot of reasons) so that doesn't work.

Slayven

No. I mean, How does it actually happen? Give me your reasoning and not just the fear mongering. Tell me how, and why.

We already know that they wouldn't arm their economic mules en masse on their own territory (for a lot of reasons) so that doesn't work.

We already know that machines would have soon rendered slavery to expensive to be viable, but hey we dealing with nonsense. Lets go balls deep

D i Z

We already know that machines would have soon rendered slavery to expensive to be viable, but hey we dealing with nonsense. Lets go balls deep

It seems more likely that there would be either a faction of the Union, or European intervention to assist. Nobody was looking to adopt new tech. That's always the case. It threatens what people have and what they know. The question of ownership is (I think) how they drag this through.

Top Bottom