• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Book of Boba Fett |OT| Sarlaac Spit-Up

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
01ZS98R.jpg

RAÏSanÏa

Watching the time it took Luke to march through 20 Darktroopers Din isn't fighting 20 Mandalorians like Bo-Katan, Viszla and whoever else to victory with the Darksaber even if they line up.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Why is the dark saber heavy?
I think that is a reference to the idea that lightsabers and related tech are physically heavier than they look (though those prop saber hilts swinging away loosely clipped to belts suggests otherwise) but particularly that the blade is nigh uncontrollable without force training, thus the reason random folks don't have them, mostly jedi and jedi-adjacent people. So Mando is learning a little bit of force control to get in sync with the darksaber.

Or the darksaber is Stormbringer reincarnated, which I'll also accept :p

Ulysses 31

I think that is a reference to the idea that lightsabers and related tech are physically heavier than they look (though those prop saber hilts swinging away loosely clipped to belts suggests otherwise) but particularly that the blade is nigh uncontrollable without force training, thus the reason random folks don't have them, mostly jedi and jedi-adjacent people. So Mando is learning a little bit of force control to get in sync with the darksaber.

Or the darksaber is Stormbringer reincarnated, which I'll also accept :p
Guess the Mando writers forgot about that when Moff Gideon was swinging it around like a normal lightsabre... 👀

RAÏSanÏa

Doesn't explain why other characters like Mando and Gideon can wield it with no issue though.

Glad to have that cleared up. Was trying to recall the ESB novel I read in the early 80s and remembered it being something about the way the energy in the beam is contained makes it hard to wield. Since the Darksaber is shaped like a blade maybe there is an illusion of weight that can be managed through both technique and the force.

Ionian

Glad to have that cleared up. Was trying to recall the ESB novel I read in the early 80s and remembered it being something about the way the energy in the beam is contained makes it hard to wield. Since the Darksaber is shaped like a blade maybe there is an illusion of weight that can be managed through both technique and the force.

I'd never thought about it myself until seeing that episode and that was some random result from a quick Google so can't attest to it's truth. Seems to make sense though. I guess it looks weird as it's the first time we've ever seen someone struggle with one on film? I could have missed a cartoon or comic but on film it's new.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I like to think of it more like a buzzing hilt that numbs your hands, as well as unpredictable torque leading to a lot of difficulty flicking a lightsaber around like an epee or something.

As usual, George Lucas is a creative guy, NOT an engineer or any sort of physics based dude, so I always translate how he says things pretty liberally for an acceptable in universe explanation. CLEARLY lightsaber hilts are not very heavy unless activating them generates gravity waves or something (which I'd also accept) just as a way to keep lightsaber tech restricted to a few. It also reinforces that silly wide swinging style everyone uses instead of lunges like a foil. Why slash up close when you can poke a hole right through the enemy's head or heart?

RAÏSanÏa

I'd never thought about it myself until seeing that episode and that was some random result from a quick Google so can't attest to it's truth. Seems to make sense though. I guess it looks weird as it's the first time we've ever seen someone struggle with one on film? I could have missed a cartoon or comic but on film it's new.
The novel I'm thinking about was describing the film moment where Han sliced open the Tauntaun and that the saber was awkward and almost got away from him iirc or at least that's the memory I'm constructing. It took strength to make it go the right way. In the film there is a quick moment that could be interpreted that way.

Ionian

The novel I'm thinking about was describing the film moment where Han sliced open the Tauntaun and that the saber was awkward and almost got away from him iirc or at least that's the memory I'm constructing. It took strength to make it go the right way. In the film there is a quick moment that could be interpreted that way.

Ah, don't remember ever reading the OT novels. Just read the EU stuff later on.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

Doesn't explain why other characters like Mando and Gideon can wield it with no issue though.
He was able to use it, and for some reason it keeps getting heavier like it is some sort of magic item.

I know Lucas wanted people to think of Lightsabers like a broadsword, like Excalibur. But Mando seemed to indicate it got heavier the more he used it.

RAÏSanÏa

He was able to use it, and for some reason it keeps getting heavier like it is some sort of magic item.

I know Lucas wanted people to think of Lightsabers like a broadsword, like Excalibur. But Mando seemed to indicate it got heavier the more he used it.
Something to do with the dark side of the force. When one of the Jedi see it will know more. For now maybe explains why Gideon could wield it since he's allied.
Din doesn't want to kill people but will if forced. The Darksaber perhaps senses it shouldn't kill from Din and makes it harder to kill. Not exactly sentience but exerts the wielder's intent to a degree.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Something to do with the dark side of the force. When one of the Jedi see it will know more. For now maybe explains why Gideon could wield it since he's allied.
Din doesn't want to kill people but will if forced. The Darksaber perhaps senses it shouldn't kill from Din and makes it harder to kill. Not exactly sentience but exerts the wielder's intent to a degree.
Basically it is a magic sword. I don't remember when it was being used in the cartoon on Mandalore that it caused any issues for none force users. In fact I thought most of the Mandalorians were not force aligned.

RAÏSanÏa

Basically it is a magic sword. I don't remember when it was being used in the cartoon on Mandalore that it caused any issues for none force users. In fact I thought most of the Mandalorians were not force aligned.
I don't want to write their show for them without being paid, but I do look forward to seeing what they construct and what Luke has to say about it when Grogu gets his foundling armour from the point of the the Beskar spear.

jason10mm

Gold Member

A broadsword only weighs a few pounds. It's a Hollywood myth that they are 15-20 pound chunks of steel that only Arnold can swing around. Well, some iron thick bladed prop sword might be cumbersome, but a properly balanced fighting sword is not so long as you have a little bit of wrist strength.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
A broadsword only weighs a few pounds. It's a Hollywood myth that they are 15-20 pound chunks of steel that only Arnold can swing around. Well, some iron thick bladed prop sword might be cumbersome, but a properly balanced fighting sword is not so long as you have a little bit of wrist strength.
But a magic sword has the extra weight of the magic.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Dark Sabre strikes me as the writers basically making shit up as they go along without giving much thought to what the viewer has seen previously.

Personally, I don't think that this Mandalorian Jedi hybrid guy was noble, and wicked people (or at least people with unpure or untrue intent) are able to wield it while people who mean to do good with it cannot. Just my useless guess to throw on the pile of speculation.

Personally, I don't think that this Mandalorian Jedi hybrid guy was noble, and wicked people (or at least people with unpure or untrue intent) are able to wield it while people who mean to do good with it cannot. Just my useless guess to throw on the pile of speculation.
Sleepy Over It GIF by Outside TV

ManaByte

Gold Member
“The Sequel Trilogy is being erased”

”Here’s Luke building his academy seen in The Last Jedi”.

Kind of cool how Filoni showed us that building being built and then we see it burning to the ground 20 years later.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
On yea this episode retcons the “canon” Darth Vader comics that Marvel has been doing.

In the Vader comics, he’s seen destroying Yoda’s lightsaber.

So FilonI has fully become his Master George.

RAÏSanÏa

The build up. Storms brewing.
The Pyke Syndicate making a point of mentioning Boba Fett's rep. He's going to get his moment to shine, probably next season lol.

That was an emotional moment for me when Ahsoka mentioned Anakin to Luke, I'm a fan now.

Choice seems obvious with a path to the Darksaber for a being with that lifespan.
And Grogu is going to have to use the force to make himself bigger during puberty. Can't wield the Darksaber with those paws.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I wonder if Grogu’s Beskar chainmail is to show how he survives Ben slaughtering Luke’s academy in 20 years like Frodo with the Mithril coat and the Cave Troll in LOTR.

Wvrs

Felt like a dream. I can't believe how hard they went.

I guess this is actually setting up some big stuff. I think the war against the Pykes will get our cast into conflict with Crimson Dawn and this will be a huge part of Mando S3. As for next episode, I could see Grogu choosing Din and being brought to Tattooine by Luke, who decides to fight with them and save his home.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I think my favorite moment was how the writers ...

... showed that Darth Vader's attack on the Jedi Temple is what led to Grogu's deep trauma, and now his son is the one who is healing him. And in doing so he'll likely allow Grogu to return to his father, the opposite of how Anakin was denied the ability to return to his mother

I wish they'd finally come to terms with this whole Jedi attachment thing. It's really all over the place, and I think there's a very strong argument that denying Jedi these kinds of basic emotional necessities are what make them so vulnerable to falling to the dark side. Luke of all people should have realized this by now.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I think my favorite moment was how the writers ...

... showed that Darth Vader's attack on the Jedi Temple is what led to Grogu's deep trauma, and now his son is the one who is healing him. And in doing so he'll likely allow Grogu to return to his father, the opposite of how Anakin was denied the ability to return to his mother

I wish they'd finally come to terms with this whole Jedi attachment thing. It's really all over the place, and I think there's a very strong argument that denying Jedi these kinds of basic emotional necessities are what make them so vulnerable to falling to the dark side. Luke of all people should have realized this by now.
He’s just following the SACRED JEDI TEXTS!

Wish they could've given my man Boba a quality show.....instead, he gets Disney'd and then upstaged by other characters. Looks like the last 3 episodes will at least be a decent Mando Season 2.5 which is still cool I guess.

I'm assuming the deepfake tech is the result of Disney hiring that YouTuber? The quality was truly amazing, especially compared to Mando S2. Good for him if so, and pretty cool we have tech that can actually give our favorite characters their due. Unfortunately, it's all hamstrung by Disney's storytelling and incompetence with the brand.

I wish so much that Boba gets his due in the finale. However, it's pretty much a given that he's going to be riding the Rancor which sounds completely idiotic. I also think they are going to do the scene that was previsualized for Clone Wars but never got made, now that we have
Cad Bane
in this show. That would be cool, but predictable. I don't think it's too much to ask to have my favorite character front and center in the finale of his own show. Give me peace Disney.......

That CGI was on point. Incredible.

There was a lot of fan wankery to love. Especially for Clone Wars fans.

But you gotta feel for Temura, completely up staged in his own show. Hopefully he gets his baddass moments in the last finale. Battling re-re-restored Darth Maul. 🤣

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Don't want to read the thread due to spoilers.. However what's the consensus. I really liked Mandalorian but haven't had the urge to start this yet?

Pilgrimzero

Seeing Disney Luke adhering to the old Jedi ways and what a failure that becomes yet again makes me sad for old EU Luke who found a better way and had love and success.

Old EU Luke would have let Grogu have both.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Seeing Disney Luke adhering to the old Jedi ways and what a failure that becomes yet again makes me sad for old EU Luke who found a better way and had love and success.

Old EU Luke would have let Grogu have both.
It’s not “Disney Luke” it’s George Lucas Luke, especially since this was Filoni’s episode and he was Lucas’s Padawan

Ulysses 31

Wasn't the rumor that the force veil would be used to push the sequel trilogy to an alternate reality rather than flat out ignoring it?

Still depends on the choice made at the end since the sequel trilogy says that Ben Solo was Luke's first trainee.

Last edited:
Don't want to read the thread due to spoilers.. However what's the consensus. I really liked Mandalorian but haven't had the urge to start this yet?
You can skip watching the first 4 episodes and just watch the final 3 episode story arch which is episodes 5, 6 and 7. Like Mandalorian S1 and S2 finales, these last episodes are like one long episode/movie. The first 4 episodes look cheap, are poorly written, and honestly you're better off just using your imagination to fill in any minor gaps....as long as you've watched the end credits scene in Mando S2 you'll be fine to start on episode 5 for this series.

The first 4 episodes try to establish context, motivation, backstory......but it's all awful. You already know Boba escaped the Sarlaac and he's taking over Jabba's territory. You know he had some dealings with Tusken Raiders because he carries their stick weapon in Mando S2. You can assume he's recruited people to help him.......the show is so shallow in explaining how they joined him, you don't need to waste your time. He's been the most successful bounty hunter in the galaxy for decades, you can assume he knows people and how to get things. That's literally all you need.

lifa-cobex

”Here’s Luke building his academy seen in The Last Jedi”.

Kind of cool how Filoni showed us that building being built and then we see it burning to the ground 20 years later.
At this point i'm hoping for a star wars multiverse of madness.

Sybrix

I wonder how this works out financially for Mark Hamill.

Do they pay him to use his likeness?

It's not him physically, is it?

Lunarorbit

I like it. The mandolarian has better chemistry but the lady who plays fennec is awesome and there's lots of cameos and fan service background information about jawas, womp rats and other references.

Just know that it's not the mandalorian but it is at the same time.

Top Bottom