• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Boondocks Season 4 |OT| The Final season, for real this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
tumblr_n312agM5sO1rm4wgqo10_r1_500.jpg

Monday, April 21 @ 10:30 pm, the Boondocks returns! After a 4 year long wait, Huey, Riley, and Robert Jebidiah Freeman finally return to Adult Swim. Aaron McGruder isn't involved in this season unfortunately, but still, the show is still worth watching because of it's satire of race, class, culture and America.

Also, anything that pissed Tyler Perry off is good in my book.

Trailer here

Other Season 4 images:
tumblr_n312agM5sO1rm4wgqo2_500.jpg

tumblr_n312agM5sO1rm4wgqo3_500.jpg

tumblr_n312agM5sO1rm4wgqo7_500.jpg

Aaron McGruder posted his thoughts about leaving the Boondocks behind. It's an emotional read, but worth reading.

tumblr_n312agM5sO1rm4wgqo4_500.jpg

oh_yeah_obama.gif

Epcott

I have a bad feeling Caesar will not be present. I also have a feeling there will be more over the top action in place of subtle satire.

Kreed

I have no expectations for this new season now that McGruder isn't around, particularly anything involving Huey (the MLK/BET episodes), but I'm hoping it can at least keep the humor intact for Ruckus/Riley.

I have a bad feeling Caesar will not be present. I also have a feeling there will be more over the top action in place of subtle satire.

Aaron McGruder isn't involved anymore, so I would HIGHLY doubt Sony was able to add Caesar to the last season. Plus, would you even want him with Aaron McGruder not there?

Crocodile

Not sure how McGruder's departure will affect the show but I hope its doesn't represent a "Jump the Shark" moment and that the series is still good :)

How the fuck is Stinkmeaner alive though?

Zero315

Banned

Yeah, Caesar was my favorite character from the comic. I kept waiting for him to show up but he never did. :(

I don't know, I loved the show but the last season didn't really grab me, and the show as a whole never really grabbed me the way the comics did, always felt like something got lost in translation. I'll probably watch it though, or some of it at least.

Kimosabae

Banned
I don't get the complaints about season 3. Yeah, the frequency of absurdities increase, but I see that as a function of the animation medium allowing the creators to do more. I welcome it, because the art and animation in Season 2/3 is some of the best I've ever seen from a TV show of this caliber.

*edit*

And yeah, not being able to see Ceasar realized in this animated glory is going to suck.

From those images the animation and characters look more detailed, don't you guys think?

It's like they've got some weird shading filter on where the edge of the color fills get darker to provide the illusion of some extra shading / texture. It makes it feel more stylized, for sure - it's probably an indicator that the animation budget went up.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Taken from Maron in the hype thread:

New season starts Monday. The episode's titled "Pretty Boy Flizzy" and it'll be about the eponymous rapper's attempts to help Tom with his marriage as Tom assists him on a case. I'm guessing he'll be based at least partially on Chris Brown.

Not particularly looking forward to this one since I found season 2's "Tom, Sarah, & Usher" to be one of the worst episodes in the series. I wish they'd do more with Sarah than constantly use her to tell the audience how much she wants wealthy BBC.

A fan-made mixtape for Season 4 was also released recently. Just downloaded it!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
My favorite season is still 1 because I felt like that season touched up on really good topics and it was a good mix of having that edgy take from the comics in animated form, but I'll give the last season a try. It's the last season, after all. Sucks that Aaron isn't involved.

FluxWaveZ

Man, I hope this season doesn't suffer noticeably due to the lack of McGruder's involvement. It would be a shame if the show didn't go out with a bang.

Kimosabae

Banned
It's a forgone conclusion that people will express disappointment with this season knowing Aaron isn't involved. I don't think it's fair, but but there's people and their perceptions. I think it will be at least as good as the last, which I loved, so I have no worries.

MartyStu

It's a forgone conclusion that people will express disappointment with this season knowing Aaron isn't involved. I don't think it's fair, but but there's people and their perceptions. I think it will be at least as good as the last, which I loved, so I have no worries.

Well, there has been a perceptible decline in quality each season, so I fully expect this season to be the worst of the lot.

With that said, I still expect this to be entirely enjoyable. Even if the preview does look questionable.

TheOGB

Banned
Well, there has been a perceptible decline in quality each season, so I fully expect this season to be the worst of the lot.

With that said, I still expect this to be entirely enjoyable. Even if the preview does look questionable.
But season 2 was the best

Season 3 had some of the funniest episodes of the whole series Pause, A Date With A Booty Warrior, Smoking With Cigarettes and The Fundraiser. I agree that Season 2 had the most consistency out of all the seasons. My perssonal season rankings 2 >1 > 3.

TheOGB

Banned
Please just let the Stinkmeaner episode be good

Season 3 had some of the funniest episodes of the whole series Pause, A Date With A Booty Warrior, Smoking With Cigarettes and The Fundraiser. I agree that Season 2 had the most consistency out of all the seasons. My perssonal season rankings 2 >1 > 3.
Replace Pause with The Red Ball and that's pretty much how I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom