• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Bunker - Launch trailer

chadskin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rShTPLd_7c
The Bunker is a live-action video game for PC, PS4 and Xbox One. Starring Adam Brown (The Hobbit trilogy) and Sarah Greene (Penny Dreadful, Assassin’s Creed 3) with a story written and developed by gaming talent behind Broken Sword, The Witcher, and SOMA.

The Bunker tells the story of John, the last survivor living in a government bunker after a nuclear attack wiped out England. But the bunker holds many secrets, and John must confront his suppressed memories to survive the horrors deep underground…

Coming September 20 (PC, PS4) & September 23 (Xbox One)

Game is out now

Some reviews:

Videogamer - 7/10
A wonderfully tense and oppressive atmosphere let down by the restrictions of live action interactivity.

SixthAxis - 7/10
Despite my initial impressions, I really enjoyed The Bunker. I’m never going to play it again, but for the couple of hours it lasted it held my attention and expertly racked up the tension.

That last one seems out. It lists "Little replay value, just a few hours long" as a con, but praises how it expertly racked up tension during those hours. One would then imagine that the length isn't a negative, but the right length in that it allows the story to very tense and paced throughout with seeming too long or being padded out

chekhonte

I was psyched for this game but 20 dollars for a couple of hours isn't what I'm looking for.

I'll have to wait for a decent steam sale next year.

Aw man, $20.... I already am doing penance for picking up One Way Trip, I don't know if I can justify $20 for a short FMV trek. I'll wait for some more reviews and impressions, but likely pick it up down the road instead. It looks really well shot though so I definitely want to hear more from people that have played it.

Also that Xboxone UK quote in the trailer is something else lol

For years we have wanted games that are more realistic... well now our dreams are about to come true.

If slightly interactive FMV is all we wanted, then what were we thinking by advancing the medium beyond Night Trap or those old Captain Power VHS tapes?

The game length to price ratio killed it for me, much like a lot of games these days. shame.
Personally I find shorter games are much better value because I'll actually finish them. Like I love my sprawling Witcher and Fallout and GTA worlds but I'm never going to finish those games.

Condensed lean quality should be worth a higher price. Not saying this game is the kind of quality worth that, but in general, it's kind of disappointing how people dismiss shortness as a negative rather than a strength.

Personally I find shorter games are much better value because I'll actually finish them. Like I love my sprawling Witcher and Fallout and GTA worlds but I'm never going to finish those games.

Condensed lean quality should be worth a higher price. Not saying this game is the kind of quality worth that, but in general, it's kind of disappointing how people dismiss shortness as a negative rather than a strength.

Yeah I won't knock a game because of it's length, and you're right that something that comes across as "condensed, lean quality" is worth picking up; games like that certainly speak more to my partner who doesn't play very many games, as well as allow me to enjoy a wider variety of games because I'm not bogged down in a huge time sink.

Oh man....I loved Captain Power. We need to bring that back!

That show was awesomely bad and I loved it as a kid. I recently watched Manborg and it gave me strong CP vibes as well. I've got a feeling that we may get some super tongue-in-cheek experiences like that down the road via VR. Can't wait.

Edit: Looks like it's 20% off this week for PS+ subscribers (so, $16)... and I'd be using a 20% off total cart coupon on top of that... I think for 40% off I can bite.

I finished it yesterday on PS4. It was disappointing that it ended up becoming a series of button-mashing QTEs (reach a fast enough speed of button mashing), and after having no time limit for those it throws in one where you must button mash fast enough in a very short time frame. Or you need to try again through a couple of minutes of unskippable (?) FMV. Otherwise it was good and I liked the story.

GeoramA

Trying to decide between this and Jazzpunk: Director's Cut. Both look right up my alley.

Definitely grabbing Virgina when it hits tomorrow too.

cragarmi

Game is broken for me, it won't let me through the locked door even though I have picked up the key. And when it zoomed into the door there is no back icon so I have to quit out to move away from it. I even restarted the game and exactly the same problem occurred.

Game is broken for me, it won't let me through the locked door even though I have picked up the key. And when it zoomed into the door there is no back icon so I have to quit out to move away from it. I even restarted the game and exactly the same problem occurred.
Do you drag the white icon into the black space?

Not a spoiler. It is part of the interface.

xrnzaaas

Just finished this "game" thanks to the January PS4 sale. I think that 10 Euro is still a little too much considering how little interactivity there is and how short is the game. I enjoyed the story and the main actor did a good job, but some QTE's were annoying and they should've sticked with one ending, because one of the two available sucks ass.

Top Bottom